Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

I use GD Stash:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23414

You can use it to cheat I guess but you don’t have to. I just use it as an infinite bag of holding and move stuff back and forth. Not the easiest thing in the world to use though.

So on Friday, I finished the game using my original character that I first started playing as, the Warder. At first I didn’t know the game was over. There’s no concluding cutscene. But I noticed my quest log was empty. And I discovered a way to go forward and got one more devotion shrine, and found another dungeon.

Is that it then? That was my thought. I backed out to the main menu and was able to start a game on Elite difficulty.

Kind of anti-climatic when I didn’t even realize that I was done. So bizarre.

IIRC I got credits. Don’t remember much else though.

I want Credits! I wonder why I didn’t get Credits? Did I accidentally click past after I was clicking frantically to kill the final boss?

I just did a search to see if I am remembering it wrong, and I must be. Other people are complaining of a weird abrupt end.

I finished the game using Gendal’s Glass Cannon build. It was much, much harder than with my Warder. I actually died a few times during the second last battle, and a few times during the last battle as well. That’s the problem with the glass cannon. A lot of damage, but very vulnerable, and I don’t have enough points yet to get Blast Shield yet at level 53, but if I take points away from other skills, I could get there. I’m wondering if I should do that as I start playing Elite @Gendal? Lower my damage output in favor of starting to put points into Blast shield maybe?

Tonight when I get home, I’ll be starting Tyranny, the new game by Obsidian, so I’ll likely put this on hold for a while. Having finished the game on Veteran with two characters does seem like a decent time to take a break.

Right before the end of the first difficulty I switched over to Callidor’s Tempest + Blast shield, which it sounds like you are overdue for - Flash Freeze starts to quickly lose stopping power in Elite. I face tanked everything and was still face tanking half way through Ultimate. No more glass cannon. Note this end game build depends heavily on a rare crafted rune I still don’t have for ULTIMATE POWER but I haven’t needed it yet.

Maven’s protection is good if you are still taking too much damage.

Free update’s Port Valsbury details:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48152

Hey, question for the Grim Dawn pros here: I just re-picked up GD and am playing - hit level 11 this morning, so it’s obviously still quite early. However, I’m trying to figure out where I can buy mana, uh, energy potions. I have only found one vendor in town, the guy who’s gated by Town Faction Reputation. Is he the only place where you can buy items in the first Act? I played through to the low 20s a while ago and I vaguely thought there were other vendors around. Am I crazy?

That’s a good question. I haven’t bought potions in a long time. But there are other vendors. You find a vendor in Act 1, and he sets up close to that guy that you’re talking about. And when you do a quest or two, you’re able to open that gate and get into a second area, and there’s a vendor in there too, but he’s a faction vendor and he doesn’t sell that type of potion.

I wonder if that’s the quest to rescue some woman’s brother who’s trapped in the basement of some place or other. I haven’t done many quests yet … I collected something like 8 quests and most of them are still undone - I keep wondering if I’m missing stuff but IIRC most of the quests happen near the mansion grounds that mark the end of Act 1, before you go down, down, down to the boss dude inside.

Maybe I’ll rescue the dude and see if he (or if his sister) becomes the vendor I was thinking about.

Thanks!

I think I need new glasses. I completely missed a vendor in the first town, to the left of the gates. I think the vendor icon is simply not visible enough for me. Problem solved!

Obviously I’m late to the party since most people played this last year and have moved on, but in case anyone is thinking of getting this from the Humble Bundle: I’m really digging it as of now. Almost to the end of Act 1 and having a good time. So these impressions are from the early game for sure.

Pros:

• love the character building.
  • killing bosses and having them explode in a shower of loot - always a lot of fun

Cons:

• the areas you traverse are so convoluted, with all sorts of side areas and basements and caves - I’ve found it moderately difficult to complete quests where I’m looking for different mobs, since the areas all seem to intertwine.
  • I’m never quite sure if there is a shrine in the area (maybe I just don’t understand how to read the world map? It seems like they show up after you cleanse them but I don’t see them prior to that, so I’m always wondering if I missed one somewhere)
  • I don’t find the music particularly engaging.
  • they love their drab colors. everything feels way too dark.
  • and (as has been discussed above a lot) there are too many resistances!

Don’t be swayed by the number of pros and cons. The pros far outweigh the cons here, and it’s a lot of fun.

Shrines show up on the map once you get close enough to uncover them. On your first play through, you should be scouring every corner of the map for bosses, treasure, shrines anyway.

I have more hours in Grim Dawn now than any other game on Steam, save one. And that is DiRT Rally. But I stopped playing DiRT Rally earlier this year, and I can’t stop playing Grim Dawn even though I’m trying to stop. So I think I’ll have a new leader soon.

Me too, second most played game at something like 165 hours. Replaying TQ has made we want to go back to GD even more. Wish they would release some big DLC to give me more reason to.

Finished Act 1 last night and moved on. After that fight, I realized I’m playing my tank way too conservatively - I got used to fighting one group of guys at a time, killing that group before moving on. Just this morning I decided to go aggressive, so now I’m just running through groups, killing some, and moving on, dragging the guys who still live with me. Anyone that doesn’t die in like 3 hits must be a boss! It’s fun!

Be careful, that is a good way to get killed. There are the occasional difficulty spikes where you run into a named mob who will kill you doing that.

I’m not playing hardcore so if I bite the bullet it will just be a learning experience. I also have some circuit breaker abilities that give me big heals if I go below like 30% of my life, so if that happens, that would be a sign that I need to get the heck out of dodge.

What two skill trees did you chose for your tank, out of curiosity? This is the only ARPG where I had two main characters going from the beginning, and 3 other characters too who are following behind.

My two main characters

• Tank who is a Soldier and Shaman (Warder). He always stays alive and does the most damage with his two handed weapons.
  • Glass Cannon who is an Arcanist mostly, with a tiny bit of Demolitionist in there too. She surprising kills things slower than the tank, but is more fun to use because of all the spells.

My secondary characters:

• Pet Character who has pets from Shaman and Occultist.
  • Nightblade character who dual wields and lowers cold and piercing resists and does cold and pierce damage
  • Weird hybrid character that is an Occultist who does poison damage a lot.
  • A Pistol using gunslinger who is a demolitionist and an occultist I believe, aka a Pyromancer. The guns don’t do nearly enough damage but the bombs and grenades make up for that.

I just love this game so much. I’m not going to claim it’s perfect, but they really nailed the feel of it this time, and the flaws just kind of fall by the wayside since the meaty crunchy bone crushing combat is so good with almost every character.