Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

w00t!

Two new masteries? Nice!

Oh, the trailer doesn’t mention this…

It will be priced at a modest $17.99 and comes included in the Loyalist Edition available on our website.

Yay!

So is this the free expansion that kickstarter backers were given the option to pledge for ?

Wasn’t there an expansion already?

There was technically some kind of “kill monsters” type of mode that might be called an expansion.

not yet…

9-19-2017 2-26-42 PM

I thought the Crucible Mode DLC was the “free” one for backers?

They indicate it comes with their “Loyalist Edition” (sold on their website). There, it states that the Loyalist edition includes “First expansion when released.” That suggests to me that this is the first expansion, which means it should also be available to those that are supposed to get the “free expansion” as part of their backer pledge. I could be wrong, as I don’t actually know, but that’s my interpretation, and I was waiting for an expansion to continue playing. I didn’t think the Crucible DLC was the expansion, as it wasn’t called that.

[Edit] Also this from their Crucible DLC announcement: As a special thank you to those who have been with us at the beginning of Grim Dawn’s journey, everyone who purchased the game through our website prior to/during the Kickstarter (the Kickstarter Campaign ended on May 19, 2012), or through the Kickstarter campaign itself, will receive the DLC for FREE.

So that wasn’t the backer expansion for sure.

The expansion is out!

Link: Grim Dawn - Ashes of Malmouth Expansion on Steam

A couple of new features I hadn’t seen mentioned before:

A New Rogue-Like Dungeon - A fourth Rogue-Like dungeon is coming in a free update, shortly after release, featuring the corrupting presence of the Aetherials and the Chthonians upon the beasts of Cairn.

Reset Your Attributes and Mastery Bar - Find a new type of potion that allows you reset your Attribute Points. Speak to a Spirit Guide to unlearn the Mastery Bar down to one point.

ahh, this is where not paying any attention to the development of the expansion pays off. It just shows up one day!

Those rogue-like dungeons were insanely difficult in the original game. They were auto-leveled enemies to be a few levels above you, IIRC, and none of my characters ever made it through one successfully. So I’m not excited about a new one of those.

Main game is on sale for $7.49. A steal if you are at all interested.

Some of them max out. I did a couple at level 70 something with ease.

May just have to break from PoE to jump back into Grim Dawn with the new expansion all loaded and ready for some play. Time to build a new class. Exciting!

I just had to buy the expansion, and I ended up buying it on GOG. DRM-free brothers unite!

I guess I’ll try a super-pet class first (Necromancer+Shaman). Curious about how that might work. ;)

Installed. But dinner’s almost ready. So I really shouldn’t start playing right now. I just have to wait another hour or so.

The Inquisitor I started is confusing so far. I’m not sure what Runes are yet, but they put symbols over the enemies heads. Maybe they’re like curses in other ARPGs? Or maybe just a Damage over Time spell type?

Also, it seems the game reset campaign progress for all characters of mine. And the Stash size grew!

It’s great to see a proper expansion for a game for a change. No cosmetic DLC / lootboxes here!