Grimoire - It has Begun

Correcto, Aussie nomenclature for the standard BK fare (trading as Hungry Jack’s over here).

He totally is. In that stream vod earlier, the last part I linked where RetrogradeTom was suggesting a way of paging through the inventory? He implemented it since then. Not in the shift-click method Tom wanted, but in two extra buttons at either end of the inventory bar. Unfortunately, to make room for those buttons it subtracts by 2 the amount of items you can see at once, but it’s a great tradeoff. Totally worth it for usability.

That surprised me.
Oh, and:

Makes me wonder if, now that the game has finally been released, he’s finally beginning to drop the “personality” he had cultivated all those years solely to get attention…if indeed that’s the case. I’d like to think that underneath it all, he may be just a regular guy, although I fully admit that I may be wishing for a lot. Or if even by having that thought, I may be delusional.

Not likely.

I’m wondering the same thing, Giles. In that vein, I sent a message to Matt Barton on twitter to see if he’d maybe try and get Cleve onto Matt Chat. For those unfamiliar, it’s a fantastic youtube interview series where he gets a lot of oldschool (and some newer) developers on to talk about their history in the games industry and about their games. Here’s our admittedly minimal exchange. The prospect is exciting.

Cleve is a fucking twat, and I don’t think Matt Chat should lower itself by inviting him on.

Cleve can be interviewed by infowars or brietbart

Right now the most interesting question left is the Steam hours played when someone finishes the game. I’m guessing it’s less than 600.

I’m guessing that people will be hitting game-crashing/quest faults that block further progress long before that point.

Grimoire’s release (still can’t believe it actually happened!) is a culturally significant event in CRPGs. Cleve’s twattiness doesn’t diminish that, in fact it adds to the mystique.

I bet Cleve looks like an awful mess these days and a webcam interview would shatter his titanium skeleton mystique. Maybe we’ll get Neanderthal cave drawings instead.

Has anyone gone past the end of the demo version within the final release?

One of the Twitch streamers had that in the title of his stream last night. Past the superdemo.

Things seem to be going badly:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] Just now
Something Has Messed Up Grimoire So Badly I Can’t Even Understand How It Is Possible
It has lost the ability with simple ANSI C file commands to overwrite a file or delete an existing one. I have never seen anything like it in thirty years of programming, never, on an application anywhere. “NO, DON’T OVERWRITE THIS FILE” is not a windows message. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

The sample savegames were uploaded by people pirating the software. That was a pirated version they uploaded. There were pirates asking for support on this forum. I don’t know if they have introduced a very ugly virus into the program. I trusted them when I had a look at their samples but discovered later these are all pirated copies they were ASKING FOR SUPPORT for on this forum.

These are simple file commands to create, write and erase files. I took out ALL file commands to get permissions for user app files and rolled BACK to what was there before. There is nothing to these commands, no special windows tokens for users, no file specs on files. I deleted my target directory and started in a new one. The problem is still there. Grimoire can’t even simple create files, erase them and write news ones. I have never seen something so messed up.

This is why we can’t have nice things on this planet.

I am running my AV software with new definitions and trying some new things with file permissions, I have to work carefully and see if I can isolate the problem. These aren’t fancy Windows file writes we are talking about. These are vanilla C commands working for 20 years, never had a problem of any kind.

I am really sorry about this and working constantly on the problem. It’s a shame because the game was just now reaching a nice stable version before this nightmare. Now it has basically been sabotaged in Steam ratings and is giving newcomers a terrible impression of the game.

Someone need to translate that.

Did his development machine get infected with a virus?

The issue is, hackers can’t upload files into your depot, unless you let them somehow. People who already owned the game are suddenly having save game issues, which isn’t the fault of hackers uploading save game files into the forum.

If he’s implying that, I know he’s full of it, because that doesn’t happen with Steam depots. If someone was able to hack into his Steam account and upload something to his depot (and he isn’t using the two-step verification, which all devs should be using), that isn’t users fault either.

The only other thing is if his dev machine got some nasty virus, which I suppose is possible, but …yeah.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

“Have you tried defragging?”

I wonder if his CONFIG.SYS contains:

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

I think it is clear what he is saying. Basically Neanderthals are subject to infections that Homo Sapiens have evolved natural tolerances for.

He probably uses QEMM and Stacker.