Grimoire - It has Begun

The depiction of combat, amongst that of other things in that review, reminds of those ancient RPGs with broken combat that the author of the wonderful and scary CRPG Addict blog comes regular across. Mission accomplished for Grimoire, then?

Not at all, the combat in Wizardry 7 was pretty well-balanced.

But Wizardry VII isn’t ancient.

Well done review. Too bad the combat appears to get worse with certain tactics as I have just started to experience what it mentions.

It also hits on the lack of ranged ammo to make playing an archer early on basically impossible and in general the lack of things to spend money on. I would love to have the option to purchase some better weapons, or even just a piece or two of chain or metal armor, after 25+ hours of play time.

no comment anywhere in the review on the horrid sound fx?

Heh, good point. I guess I have grown numb to them and didn’t pick up on that. They are pretty brutal and repetitive.

uh, one of those codex posters has a signature/tag on their forum post that reads “All fucking niggers must fucking hang.” I’m going to assume that’s an inside or meta joke.

I can’t imagine a context where that would be funny.

For what it’s worth, the most breakable CRPG I ever played was Elder Scrolls Oblivion from 2006. Once you assemble a 100% chameleon suit the entire universe becomes trivial!

I say that with affection, by the way. I don’t fetishize balance the way some do, particularly when you’re talking single player.

At the end of this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF3v0NX0Sh0

Still…

As a CRPG fan who cut his teeth on '80s games like Ultima and Bard’s Tale, I ought to be exactly in the target demo for RPG Codex. But they are such a toxic bunch of bungholes and hateful shitposters that I can’t stand to read the forums for more than a few minutes.

It’s so depressing how gamer culture somehow metastasized into this disgusting alt-whatever-the-fuck festering boil that thinks racism is, like, cool and shit. (Or maybe they don’t? They’re just being ironic! How clever!!!)

I actually kind of detest it and really don’t understand why people are obsessed with it. In multiplayer it’s somewhat understandable, but why would you even want it in a single player game? It just makes everything feel so much more contrived and uninteresting when every build performs the same.

I’ve seen people dismiss amazing games because “magic is so much more powerful than any other build that it’s pointless to play them!” This is a mindset that I simply cannot comprehend. I don’t play games (especially RPGs) to power my way to 100% completion in as little time and with as few deaths as possible. I play them to…role play! And to enjoy myself! Some people act as if playing games is a chore and the only pleasure derived from them comes from the credit screen.

What confuses me is how RPG Codex manages to be so juvenile despite everyone there being at least in their 30s. Maybe they’re so obsessed with those old school games because they never grew up?

I do still check in there every once in a while though because they don’t get caught up in the same hype as the mainstream. There’s been a few emperor’s new clothes situations where they were the only ones with the guts to call out a bad game.

I’m basically a 12 year old myself, but “juvenile” these days seems to imply being post-ironically racist, and that’s pretty uncool.

Like to point out that the person who said that, Adam Baldwin, is a giant piece of shit. He and his moron alt-right buddy Nick Searcy spent a day harassing me on Twitter because I said it wasn’t cool to be a bigot when they said some bigoted shit.

I mean, typecasting!

I remember that, right around that same time they also went super sexist attacking Susan Arendt too.

They are grade A assholes. Which is a shame because Adam Baldwin has been in a number of things I really like.

I did not know that. Also please note that I was not condoning the use of the phrase. Just pointing out a possibility.

Oh I know! I knew where it was from, as well. I love Kubrick and was a fan of Baldwin up until he showed his true colors

Rock Paper Shotgun review.

Do you dare read the comments? DO YOU DARE

This was discussed up-thread: Grimoire - It has Begun