Grimoire - It has Begun

Wait… RichVR wasn’t kidding? :O

Brian, I had to try it out since I’ve been following this train wreck since the Usenet days.

IMO it’s a train wreck. I tried to get into it, but I gave up.

Well i bought it just to see the train wreck my own self.

Don’t forget to read the manual first!

Is that released yet? (I’m guessing not, but hey, I thought I would ask)

The second news item on Steam read:
17 DECEMBER

Content Complete For V2, Finishing Manual!

I just read a very informative and well written Frecnh review, and it seems the game is a pure real mess. I.E, no info is given, everything is obscure, and there is zero balance whatsoever — which makes sense, for a game devoid of any testing.

Amazing.

No, but you won’t rue the 10 bucks you just set on fire.

The game has a few nice interface touches that, for a Wiz-style game, are very nice. It includes some nice auto-battle stuff (nothing too deep, mind, but nice for a game like this). But it also takes a step back in several respects (the party inventory is, by far, the worst ever implementation I’ve seen for such. So much so that it just makes the inventory bad).

In terms of character progression mechanics it’s a mess, having taken all the wrong lessons and legacies from the genre (obscure or no information presented for what things do for no reason, mistaking adding lots of classes/races/stats for “depth”).

And then there’s the fact that the main game presentation is right out of the early 90s (which is not coincidental, of course). A modern Wiz style game has to present a much larger view of the world, to say nothing of having more modern interface trappings.

@Thrag posted this quote upthread but it is so beautiful it must be repeated.

Oh yeah I remember back then Cleve totally abusing the Wizardry developers for missing their due dates, calling them incompetent imbeciles, etc. because they weren’t releasing on time. ;)

Brian, you and I are on some weird shared circuit. Yesterday I was reading an update on some title and they used the term micro-update. I was immediately filled with disgust lol and went to steam to see where the game stood - specifically to see if his stupid manual was ever released. Imagine my lack of surprise to see he’s still pulling the same crap he’s been pulling for years. Excuse after excuse to why the manual still isn’t done years after people paid for it.

He’s also doing the same tired schtick. He’s superior to everyone around him, he’s so strong, blah blah. The only thing he fits is his mouse and he’s trying to claim he’s one of the true strongest people on earth. Also Australians are all way dumber than him. Be hilarious if he got deported.

Give Grimoire for the holidays. The gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving…

That’s like giving coal dude.

Not really. Coal has a use. :)

Best Christmas ever - coal!!

I never kid, kid. :)

It’s okay-ish. If you have the right expectations.

If he manages to release the manual I might even try to install and play a bit. There were a few missing mechanics in the old versions that should be part of the game now. The last time I tried playing I spent so much time figuring out the mechanics of the lockpicking minigame, but they defied me in the end.

Remember when the game was released and the claim was “Other than this 10% launch discount, I will never, ever, put Grimoire on sale.” It was $40 then, $36 with the launch discount.

Now it lists for $20 and is on sale for $10.

How soon until it’s bundled on IndieGala?

I really don’t want to give Cleve any money or satisfaction. Even if it’s bundled and he doesn’t make anything, that would allow him to say he sold one more copy of his game.

This. I do not want to give my money to that Nazi ass-clown.