Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Glad to hear it. Those guys put out a great podcast.

Excellent.

Weird thing today - I picked up a copy of an old game for cheap on the BGG marketplace. In the confirmation, the seller said to mail the payment directly to his daughter as he is selling off some of his collection to help with her medical bills. Which immediately made me feel bad for buying the guy’s game - maybe he doesn’t want to part with games but feels like he has to? But if I don’t buy it then he doesn’t get the money. So I thought of sending him a little extra money, but then that didn’t feel quite appropriate, either. So I ended up just sending the money. But I’m now a little less excited about cheaply replacing my old damaged copy of Hell’s Highway.

When you get the game, maybe just drop him a line thanking him for the cool burst of nostalgia you got from it, and telling him it’ll have a good home.

Thanks, that’s a good idea.

Does anyone here have an opinion on The Lamps are Going Out? It looks very interesting to me.

It is what I would call a “historically deterministic” game.

It is much better history than Paths of Glory.

It is perhaps not as good a game.

Have been playing Mark Simonitch’s Holland '44 over VASSAL with a friend and I have to say, this system works great, and especially for this battle. We’ve got quite a cock-up at Arnhem bridge - there are Germans firmly ensconced at the north end! XXX Corps is just north of the Veghel bridge, which has been blown. Railway bridge at Veghel is up and functioning for Allies. It is beginning of Turn 6 (morning of the 19th).

Is the German player allowed to just blow the Arnhem bridge as soon as XXX Corps approaches?

The Arnhem bridge can never be blown.

“One does not simply blow the Arnhem bridge!”

Really been getting into Lock n Load’s Heroes of Stalingrad recently, mainly because a lot of scenarios from other lock n load boardgames have now been uploaded for it on the Matrix forums.

I have to say this is a great little squad level tactical game. Really enjoying playing through the German campaign and looking forward to playing some of the Vietnam scenarios that have been modded in. I even went back and listened to ‘that’ episode of Three Moves Ahead where they had Mark Walker on to discuss it – yeah it was definitely not the podcast’s finest hour. But if you’re looking for an ASL-lite game with lots of scenarios ranging from the Falklands to the Pacific, then highly recommended.

Yeah, I liked it. I hope they release Heroes of the Pacific one day. I figure it will take them years though.

Yeah its a good game and system. I like it as well.

Tank Warfare : Tunisia 1943 and its DLC “Longstop Hill” are both on sale this week on Steam.

This is from Graviteam - the people behind Graviteam Tactics Mius Front and Operation Star and focuses on North Africa, rather than the Eastern Front. These are criminally overlooked games, mostly thanks to its UI. Once you get over that hump, the immersion is excellent and the kinds of stories this game will give you are remarkable.

I couldn’t get past that bump in Mius Front, and I still want this.

Thanks, I didn’t even know this existed!

I said didn’t highlight, not didn’t include or mention. Besides, the top one is really mild, and has, what, one woman, and a “geisha” type at that, while the bottom one, the Dr. Seuss, one, is about as mild a depiction of Japanese so-called characteristics as you’ll find in that era.

The text of the top one is also quite fascinating. It states the stereotypes (and depicts them, with that illustration), while mildly denouncing them? That sure is an ambiguous form of article, and I wished there was the rest of it.