Grognard Wargamer Thread!

I’ll probably pick it up too for the same beer-and-pretzel cravings. Every time I play, I silently miss the old SSI art though.

No, that was Lordz games I think.

My thoughts as well.

Surprising there’s another PG entry that, on its face, doesn’t seem to offer anything materially new in its presentation. We’ve had Panzer Corps and Order of Battle from Matrix, with Panzer Corps 3D in development now. Just how many iterations are feasible?

I’ll say this though, my favorite all-time PG game to date has been Panzer General II and its modern war spinoff People’s General. Those photo-realistic maps really captured my interest and imagination. I don’t know why others haven’t tried to use that technique again to their advantage. The PG3D games also added some nice features to the gameplay which I enjoyed.

Possibly of interest to other folks as well as me.

http://www.jrcooper.com/spilib.htm

Wow, talk about a blast of nostalgia! Cool find.

Slitherine has teh sael.
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/slitherine_midweek

Any recommendations?

http://i.imgur.com/9q583jQ.gif

The Decisive Campaign games are supposed to be really good.
War in the East
Flashpoint Campaigns
Sengoku Jidai is supposed to be good as well

Anyone played the new Field of Glory?

I hated Decisive Campaigns (only played the first one, whichever that was). Huge amounts of detail with no way to summarize the effects; you either spend twenty minutes analyzing before each click or just accept that you have no way of knowing if it’s a good attack or not.

Strategic Command WW2 seems good; I keep bouncing off of it, but I think it is my fault, not the game’s, although I did wish it had more zoom levels (it has 3, one is a bit too close, one is a bit too far, and one is WAY too far). It looks nice though and has a much better than average interface for a hex-and-counter wargame.

I was disappointed by Victory & Glory Napoleon; the earlier game (Rome vs Carthage) was great, but then Glenn Drover came and Glenn Drovered it all up. Now it is a game which asks the question “can you get your monster stack to Prussia’s capital and force them to surrender before they can get their monster stack to Paris”. Whee.

Really liked Commander The Great War, it’s a beer-and-pretzel WW1 game, with a bit of chrome in that you can produce units and do research. Works well by pbem++.

I think the first is From Warsaw to Paris. I never got around to picking them up, because I still haven’t really spent enough time with the Grigsby games, and I should just play those if I want to play this type of game.

I need to get back to Flashpoint Campaigns as well. I really like the decision cycle mechanic in that game.

Brilliant, in my opinion. I haven’t written up why I think so yet, but that’s in progress. The short version is that it really seems to get the feel of old-time warfare right. Casualties aren’t too high, morale is very important, and you don’t have much control when the lines meet.

I just got Flashpoint Campaigns, having failed to resist yet another 70%-off sale. I’m looking forward to giving it a whirl, although it’s not an era I’m super-familiar with yet.

For me the “must haves” are

Pike & Shot - Richard Bodley Scott at his best, he has a feel of rennaisance as he has demonstrated since his old DBR rules. A superb battle game.
Field of Glory 2 - Richard Bodley Scott - as above but ancients
War in the East - the beast, essential for any wargamers collection
Warhammer Armageddon - the best panzer general game of the past few years

So many goodies, so little time. I bought Strategic Command and haven’t started yet (this week?) so I’ll have to hold off.

The top 3 games on that list are Distant Worlds, Distant Worlds and Distant Worlds.

Then pick up a couple of the Order of Battle packs (the base game is free to play on Steam already) - Rising Sun and U.S Pacific are the original campaigns and are pretty good.

Yeessssssssss.

I really need to try Distant Worlds again. I have bounced out a few times .

How is “Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach”? Looks like an interesting computerized version of tabletop gaming.

Eh, pros and cons it didnt grab me really.