Grognard Wargamer Thread!

I bought this largely because I love the time period and subject, and because there aren’t many games like this. I too share the thought that Flashpoint is really similar, though I also agree it’s different enough that there’s room for both types. Flashpoint is by far the better looking and more intuitive, though.One of the things I still can’t figure out is exactly how to insure that an order I give, like an Advance order, is given to all of the units in a formation. I select the HQ, give the order…and just the HQ moves. Erm, ok. Sometimes I can get all of the units highlighted, sometimes not. What usually happens is that I end up detaching units rather than moving whole formations.

The game’s visuals are a good compromise for a smallish team with limited resources, but like others have noted, the inability to clearly and quickly show elevation is problematic. The tools they have work, but they are not intuitive nor are they super clear in operation. Likewise, the LOS tool is butt-ugly and again, sort of hard to use, partly because the game’s zooming/scrolling is so non-granular that it goes it abrupt steps that always seem to bracket the exact field of view you need.

It is, though, cool to zoom in on the little tanks rolling around. And while I agree the that the granularity of the unit/terrain placement (the 30 square meters thing) might be technically limiting, in practice I’m not good enough of a commander to get too bothered by it.