Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Yeah, it does seem unfair. You should do as Scotten says, though, and try contacting them. You never know.

I bought mine on Matrix, though, so I’ll definitely get the $5 upgrade. Although looking at the trailer, I can’t spot any differences from the original version.

I have. They haven’t responded other than to confirm that only people who bought it directly from them get the discount.

I think I got it on Gamersgate as well. Sigh.

Here’s a simple solution. Both GG and Impulse (I believe) allow you to see a list of games you own. I will gladly send a link to my list, showing I own a legitimate copy of the game, to Matrix customer service or even directly to Erik and Ian, in exchange for a functioning discount code.

I think that’s only fair, and if Matrix/Slitherine can’t be bothered to do even that much, it shows how sorry they really are.

The same thing happened with giving Steam codes for Alea Jacta Est.

Not giving everyone a Steam code is hardly the same thing has forcing part of your customer base to pay 5 times more for an upgrade than everyone else in that base.

Maybe this is a legal / licensing thing? Whatever the reason, it sucks.

I’ve generally found Matrix very accommodating (Erik is great), and Slitherine the opposite (Ian not so great). So I guess this may indicate who’s in charge now. ;)

Matrix announced that they are planning to release a new version of The Operational Art of War:

http://matrixgames.com/news/1741/The.Operational.Art.of.War.III.receives.a.final.update.and.a.sequel

Awesome, maybe they’ll do Age of Rifles next. I’ll apply for the loan now so I can buy the game in the future.

Wargame Construction Set II: Tanks! or go home.

War in the East is now available on Steam. They are selling a deluxe edition with both the DLCs for $63 right now ($90 when not on sale)

…and the Matrix website claims that owners will get free Steam keys. So, cool.

Can confirm. I just got my Steam key through the convoluted Slitherine redemption process. Very nice.

-Todd

The computer version of Congo Merc is out (PC, Mac, iOS). Anyone played the solo boardgame?

I was wondering about that myself. I really like the job they did with Infection - it’s a game I return to again and again, frustrating though it may be.

I own Congo Merc (board game). Its a fine little filler. Lots of dice chucking and a generated scenario each game makes the fun (such as it is) if I recall. Anyway I will be buying the iPad version so I will report back.

Here’s a quandary, War in the East hit steam at a close to reasonable price. I’ve never played but I’ve heard good things. Also, after listening to the 3MA podcast Rob’s pick of Operational Art of War has me wanting to visit that as well. Can I solicit some opinions on them? I’m leaning towards Art of War due to the shear variety of scenarios but being a toolkit rather than a focused game I hear there’s occasional wonkiness there.

Tom M

Operational Art of War has more scenarios available online (Rugged Defense website for instance) than just about anything, is a flexible system that covers multiple eras, and has numerous graphic and other mods. It’s a sort of Swiss Army Knife of wargames. WitE is an epic, monster game covering one subject in Grigsby’s signature data overkill depth. I found it rather more fiddly and complex than I like, but if you’re really into the war in Russia, it’s pretty much the bee’sk knees I guess.

If I could only have one, I’d have TOAW though.

On Pocket Tactics forum, one regular who bought the iOS version wrote:

I bought it, and try to play it last night not only to find the tutorial text is too small (about one quarter the size of the screen) also the rule text broken, showing only one third of the text on the right margin.

In frustration, refund submitted, got Her Story instead, shame.

Haven’t tried it myself, and obviously YMMV.