Grognard Wargamer Thread!

tbh that’s not a good price for Unity of Command. Maybe look here or in the Steam sale.

Never used WinGame Store. Are they trustworthy? Include Steam keys? I have zero game time until late December, so I guess I could wait for the Steam sale…but $8 isn’t much.

I’ve used them many times with no issues.

I might finally grab CMANO and War in the West this holiday season

$2.99 on Steam sale!

It may be a bit deeper than what you’re looking for, but if you like SF 4X games, it’s tough to beat Distant Worlds:Legends

I really wish they would release some info on the sequel to Distant Worlds

Distant Worlds: Universe beats it, as Legends requires ownership of the base game. ;)

Senior moment. I was thinking of Universe.

Hehe yeah I figured as much. :)

I’ve been plugging away at Random Carrier Battles to some degree or another, although I’ve had to switch my attentions over to another code project lately. To avoid cluttering the thread, I’m putting all of my random development updates here, or in RSS form here.

I got surprised with an early Hanukkah gift of Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa today. I’ve only poked around a bit as the Soviets, but like what I see so far, particularly the asymetry and the way Stalin’s paranoia is modeled.

I really suck at Unity of Command. The AI is smart and forces you to pay attention to those supply lines. I keep finding myself out of supply because I don’t defend the railroads as well as I should. I am trying to use my tanks on the offensive and he will move his tanks around and cut off the supply. I need to learn the happy medium, but I always feel rushed to being pushing forward. I am learning, but it is slow going. Really fun though, thanks for the recommendations.

Unity of Command kicked my butt, too.

It’s a very cool game, one that I need to get back to and really dig into deeper. I’ve had it since it came out but never really got to put that much time into it.

I was a bit obsessive with ensuring I got Decisive Victory on any mission that had splits unlocked. It took a while, but ultimately I was able to get it on all maps.

I played some scenarios 5+ times though. Sometimes I would see that it wouldn’t happen, and restart as soon as I realized it.

I don’t care that much about achievements, but I do like games to have them. Stuff like getting all decisive victories would be perfect for this game. Plus, they are nice little advertisements when looking over friends activity in Steam.

Anyway, I didn’t think there was a way to restart a scenario? Am I blind? Once you lose a battle the campaign ends and far as I can see you can only reset the whole campaign. Although, I can’t say I looked that hard, I have been trying to live with my mistakes.

you can reset the campaign progress to the state as of a specific map - so if you reset you can blow out progress in future maps.

As long as you reset on the latest map you’re fine.

Yup! I would try, and if I fell short, retry before moving on. You can always rewind a campaign, but it is a one way trip. Once you do it, you’re done.

In case you guys missed it, there is a new Barbarossa game: