Grognard Wargamer Thread!

If that’s exciting to you, the El Alamein version is available for pre-order!

I’m not sure what more anyone could ask for from a historical accuracy perspective.

Does anyone know in which country these games are being developed? I wish the Kickstarter would say something.

US. Oregon to be exact.

Click on the company’s name on the main page.

Edit: Although I guess the company is just translating games from Japan?

Arclight is based in Tokyo, Japan, ultimately surprising nobody. The company running the Kickstarters was just translating the games to English.

the weird thing is that apparently those, specially El Alamein are decent games (going by people who have played it, but I’m skeptical). But man, that theme.

At least they offer the non-anime, historical photographs version, but that one seems much harder to find around here.

I have heard the same thing, anecdotally. So weird!

That game (or rather, the “anime underwear” version) fails the “My co-workers can see me playing it and not think I’m complete human trash” test.

Ayup.

The Chinese have a similar bizarre (to us) view of WWII in Europe. Hitler and Goering dolls, swastika merchandise, all sorts of Wehraboo crap is fairly popular, but as far as I can tell, without any real understanding of the impact of such stuff on Westerners. Not that the Chinese, to be sure, have any obligation to adjust their culture to accommodate any one else, of course. But given how China is very conscious of its public image, it does seem sort of weird.

Sure. And I’m sure the same things happens in reverse - i have no idea (for example) how Shogun: Total War reads to a Japanese person, and if they said “hey look the way you’re deploying all the imagery is kinda offensive?” I’d totally believe it.

But my knee-jerk reaction isn’t even really about Wehraboo (great word, by the way!) per-se, but more like “oh look, once again men prove there is no topic that they cannot realign into somehow really being about boobs.”

Yeah, there is that, indeed. Interesting thought about stuff like Shogun; it’s good to remind ourselves these things flow both ways. The whole “appropriation vs. appreciation” debate and all that. WWII is still recent enough–and severe enough–that it has more impact perhaps, but to societies like, say, the Chinese, who is to say that the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games are just as evocative?

China seems very okay with Koei’s interpretation of the mythical version of the Three Kingdoms period, as all their own games appear to be copying their imagery.
But it’s easy to mock when, for all we know, WW2’s historiography too, in a thousand years, may be based on the Indy Jones movies.

As far as Japan’s regard toward the outside world’s own views of their culture and history, whatever the medium, condescencion is the main word I think. Is it only a mirror of the foreigners’ own, usually on display toward them, even nowadays? Is it deeper? Who knows.
To put it in the perspective of gaming, they (actually, the famous Game Arts) cared enough one way or the other to release a game parodying Western’s views of pre-Meiji Japan in 1990.

The rest of the anecdotal stuff I have to express on this matter belongs to P&R, so I’ll behave and stop my internet fuming right here!

To get us back on track with the thread topic after I shamefully derailed us, Enemy Action: Ardennes is amazing.

You got me excited for a computer game I had never heard of. Stupid board game people with friends and all…

I thought the same thing, but then looking at this one it appears to have a solo component. Think I’ll have to check this one out.

It has TWO SEPARATE solo components: an Allied game and a German game. Plus two-player. A bonanza!

And a very high price tag. This comes too late into December…

For $150 it better come with an actual Belgian.

FWIW, I got a Compass Games catalog in the mail (old school!) today. Enemy Action is $108 from the catalog, on sale or something. Still a huge expense, but damn tempting. I have a soft spot for this stuff, but then, there’s my unplayed copy of of Silent War on the shelf still…