Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Drive on Moscow is a worthy successor to Bulge. I can’t imagine a wargamer not playing this. Consider this an official endorsement, under the authority of Some Guy Who Liked The Game. Full disclosure: I also wrote the German strategy hint section, but was not compensated for it.

However, I have no idea if Slitherine murdered it like they murdered the initial release of PC Bulge.

I don’t think Conflict of Heroes works well as a PC game, specifically THAT game that has been released doesn’t work so well as a PC game.

Looks like Afghanistan '11 is out.

Indeed it is, and it’s excellent.

waits for a sale

You’re in luck, it’s on sale!

Or, while waiting for a bigger discount like the cheap bastard that I am, one may go through the generously provided manual, available to download from the Steam page.

I was talking to someone last night during Tom’s livestream of Age of Rivals about how sneakily good Putin Strikes: The Coming War for Eastern Europe is, and they were considering coming here and posting their thoughts. So I’m providing encouragement!

So, I didn’t realize that the game in the latest issue of Modern War, “Putin’s War,” is also by Ty Bomba, who did “Putin Strikes.” Kinda disappointed. It seems the games have similar mechanics. Not that the mechanics are bad, just that why would Ty Bomba design two games on the same subject with similar rules?

Strategy & Tactics^H^H^H^H^H^H^H … err, Modern War needed a pack-in. Ty was contracted to do one. Why not burn the contract and provide advertisement for the (I assume) much richer boxed version?

How much grey is in that grognard neckbeard of yours, Brooski? I don’t want to have to take you to the woodshed and paddle you with a fully-loaded SPI’s Air War box! :)

I’ve been had, my friend.

And no, I won’t post a pic of Air War fully loaded.

Ok, I will. See bottom shelf.

In my second stint in grad school I sold my collection of over 400 wargames to some store in Oregon, to pay some bills. Do I regret it? Sometimes, but truthfully, they’d just sit there in the basement if I still had them.

Sweet SPI version of the AirWar '80. I just had the TSR version of it.

I loved the errata packed with that game. “Increase the turn radius of all aircraft by 1”. LOL, I guess the F-15 having a TR of 1 in some instances was just a little much.

Matrix Games is having an Easter sale. Here’s the post about it from their forums:

[quote]ORIGINAL: Daniele

Here at Matrix Games we wish you all a very Happy Easter!

Get ready to celebrate! It’s a tradition now and this year makes no exception. The Easter Coupon gives a 30% discount on any purchase from our stores!

No game is excluded: the discount is also valid for our recent release such as Afghanistan ‘11, Tigers on the Hunt: Kursk, Warhammer 40,000 Sanctus Reach and many more!

WASTE NO TIME, YOU ONLY HAVE THIS WEEKEND!

You can redeem the discount by entering the following coupon while checking out:

HappyEaster

The coupon is valid until the 18th of April even on multiple, simultaneous purchases, so pick any game you like and enjoy!
[/quote]

That’s a nice discount, really. Too bad I really don’t want anything from them right now…

If you have any interest in the grand tactical Panzer Battles system that grew out of the more operational Panzer Campaigns system of John Tiller games, there is a brand spanking new demo of Panzer Battles for free on the Tiller site. It’s really good, IMO, and has quite a lot of gameplay from diverse theaters to explore the system with. Highly recommended (as are the two actual Panzer Battles games available so far; the third, which I think is going to be the Western Desert, should be along sometime relatively soon).

Yep, I bought the Normandy game and it’s a very nice product. My one sort of gripe is that it appears to have more focus on the British action in Normandy than the American, but I can deal with that. I just wanted a scenario on the U.S. Airborne drops and there isn’t one.

One of the chief designers is Canadian, and the games have always had a strong focus on Commonwealth troops when possible. Makes sense; there sure are tons of American-focused games out there. And it does seem that there were more smaller-scale engagements suitable for scenarios on the Commonwealth sector of the front than the American. We did end up with the gigantic Cobra battle though, which would be, um, a bit large for this system I guess.

Serious question: so the interface doesn’t bother you? Every time I try to go back and play a Tiller game, I run into the impossibly clicky interface and just get fed up. It may just be me, but holy cow does it feel kludgy now.

The interface is…fatiguing. One reason I tend to play these things in smallish doses. The Panzer Battles games I think are better because of the scale and dynamics of the battles, but yes, the interface is awkward. The new demo shows a direction I guess they are going in in the future for these, which has a ginormous (at my 1080p monitor’s rez at least) tool bar that is positively impossible to use at a glance; I have to study the damn thing to figure out what used to be simply (and easily memorized) button pushes. And the reliance on old skool keyboard shortcuts in their dozens isn’t much of a help.

So, yeah, interface not so hot. Games though are a big step beyond Panzer Campaigns in many respects. The shift in scale makes the (modified somewhat) Panzer Campaigns system work better, and the scenario design and research are, as always, top notch.