Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations WOTY is on sale at Fanatical (formerly Bundle Stars) for $19.99 + an extra 10% off by using the code BLACKFRIDAY10, or about $17.99 U.S. if I calculated correctly.

War in the West Complete (including the Operation Torch DLC) is only $35.

Board games have DLC? ;-)

Maannnnn, Slitherine sent me an anniversary coupon, and so much of their stuff is on sale and I want stuff but I don’t NEED stuff I still need to play more Close Combat Iron Cross the last game I got from them so yeah I don’t need stuff but I want stuff god dammit Slitherine.

To avoid temptation, I used mine like a week ago on something small – the Polaris Sector DLC. I’m waiting for winter next year, when I can maybe pick up Field of Glory II plus all the DLC.

Classic War Pack is a bundle of retro games being temporarily offered for $7.49 U.S. at Fanatical (formerly Bundle Stars). The bundle includes:

Across the Rhine
Command H.Q.
Eradicator
NAM
Silent Service
Silent Service II
Task Force 1942

Anyone interested in retro PC wargaming might want to check into this limited time offer.

Has anyone played the Conflict of Heroes series (tabletop version)? I already have Combat Commander, and am looking for a WWII tactical game that is a bit lighter and easier to get to the table. Looking at comments on BGG, it seems like CoH might be a good fit. I’d also be open to other suggestions (besides Memoir 44).

Conflict of Heroes is fine though I found it a bit dry.

Perhaps take a look at Band of Brothers and Old School Tactical. I absolutely love the latter.

Conflict of Heroes is really good, IMO. But it also has an excellent solo mode that is pretty much worth it on its own.

Yup I played CoH, I liked it fine. As @moss_icon says though Old School Tactical really is pretty great, highly reccomended and the next logical step from CoH. Be aware though its a big board which is not modular, so plan accordingly. I also like LockNLoad a lot. I bounced hard out of Band of Brothers, too bland for me. Oh and Heroes of Normandie is a hoot as well.

I ended up picking up Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal and played through the first two missions solo today. Really enjoying it so far! I especially love the asymmetry between the US and Japanese sides. The game also includes a bushido mechanic which encourages the Japanese player to charge in to combat more. Also, the production values are amazing, especially for a wargame.

Is this a tabletop or digital game?

Tabletop. Although there are digital versions of CoH, LockNLoad & Heroes of Normandie.

I have all of those. I was hoping this was something new.

Have you played the solo expansion for the original CoH?
It’s even better than playing the normal game solo (which works well, though).

I told my boss I have a very important meeting Monday lunchtime.

The reality is we are going to try a 4 player game of Conflict of Heroes (2nd ed., Mission 10) before our regular boardgame group evening. Can’t wait!

Don’t tell my boss, thanks.

Have the Solo expansion too, it really is great.

I do wish people would specify. From a non-board game person, this thread has gotten quite confusing.

Well to be fair, cpugeek13 did specify.

Speaking of Conflict of Heroes (tabletop), looks like the new Storm of Steel 2nd ed. will have an updated ruleset that gets rid of AP and CAP tracks (source).

We are finishing the Storms of Steel rules at this time. (Just took a break from working on them.
I will be posting them to get everyone’s opinions and inputs. The new rules version will bring a lot more FoW to the game and also allows players to take actions with any fresh unit. There will not be AP or CAP tracks.

Don’t know how I feel about this yet. Sounds like they are removing what makes this game unique.

It seems to me they are implementing the system form the solo expansion? It works well enough.