Grognard Wargamer Thread!

That’s basically how the digital version works as well.

Would any of you grogs be interested in playing a game of Lee Brimmicombe-Wood’s Nightfighter on the forum? It’s a fairly simple game from a groggy standpoint, and is ideal for multiplayer forum gaming because each player can control a single nightfighter and I can do the GM stuff behind the scenes. There is no hidden information between the players, so you could all post your orders in the thread and I could post the results of each turn. I think it would be fun. If you do, too, post here. I think three players would work.

Links:
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-233-nightfighter.aspx

Bruce, I own the game, but I don’t recall if I’ve even played it! How much time do you think would be involved? This time of year I’m pretty busy, and I’ll be traveling for the last week of the month, so I’m not sure I’m the ideal candidate. But I might be interested if the time commitment isn’t too great, and if my travel doesn’t interfere with things.

Once you grok the rules, turns take about five minutes including the time you take to type them. I would post pics of the map, meaning you wouldn’t need to set anything up. You would just look at the board position, and say, “ok, I go forward three, turn left, forward two, turn left, fire at spotted contact #6.”

I played with a referee via VASSAL and it took me longer to download the file, open it, click through it to see what happened, and save/send the file back than it took to do the move. If you know the rules and have a web browser, you can do the moves from the forum posts. But no need to rush - I figure the game could be done at a relaxed pace, with breaks when necessary. My goal is just to share it with people who might not otherwise play it.

OK, in that case, I’m game! I’ve dug out the rules; I’ll start reading them this evening. They don’t look too long, so I imagine I’ll be ready shortly.

Great! I have another player confirmed as well, so if there is a third person in this thread or in this board who wants in, just post.

I would like to play. I got Lee’a other game, Bomber Command, that came out around the time Nightfighter and I am interested in what Nightfighter has to offer.

Tom Mc

Cool! It will be you, @Spock, and my friend Jeff who ran my VASSAL game. I will get him to confirm in this thread.

I was thinking of some combination of the possibilities for scenario 5. Each person would run one single-seat fighter.

Sounds great! I’ve now read the rules through the section on ground radar, and I’ve found them straightforward so far. I’ll read the rest tomorrow. And scenario 5 sounds perfect – one fighter per player. I’m looking forward to this!

Kicked off the holiday with some 6mm SF. Squad Hammer from Nordic Weasel. Its good, somewhere between DBA & I aint been shot mum. Fits my style very well as you are required to homebrew or invent as you play along.

Space

I got Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer (tabletop game) for christmas, and have tried playing a couple solo games. The BoB games have received a lot of praise, and I had some high expectations. Unfortunately, the manual and player aids are kind of awful, and I’ve had a frustrating time learning the relatively simple system. In comparision, Conflict of Heroes, which is a much more “game-y” system of a similar weight, was really easy to learn and I rarely had to reference the manual after reading the rules. In BoB, not all the rules are in the manual – some of them are only found on the reference card. And there are rules, such as Command Point use, which should be on the reference card but aren’t. Also, the tank rules are very different than the infantry, but the manual doesn’t give specific examples how they work, and so I’m unsure if my interpretation is correct or not.

Anyone have any experience learning this game?

Ironclads & Victorian Admirals: 10 in 1 Bundle Is on sale at Steam for 93% off or $7.38 U.S. The bundle includes:

Ironclads: American Civil War
Ironclads: High Seas
Ironclads: Schleswig War 1864
Ironclads: Anglo Russian War 1866
Ironclads: Chincha Islands War 1866
Victorian Admirals
Ironclads 2: American Civil War
Ironclads 2: War of the Pacific
Ironclads 2: Boshin War
Ironclads 2: Caroline Islands War 1885

Sorry bud, I thought the Band of Brothers system was bland and awful. I still dont really understand the praise it gets on BGG. Good luck though, hopefully you can find the fun in it. I sure didnt.

So I got Tank Warfare: Tunisia 1943 because I was told that, out of the Graviteam games, it’s the most accessible.

I flipped over my one and only tank. In the first tutorial mission.

And I can’t stop laughing.

This part of the tutorial teaches you to not flip tanks upside down.

Playing Autumn for Barbarossa the new one mapper SCS. Is cool but I still have a really hard time getting my head around the distance some of these units can move in a turn. 20 clear hexes or (gulp) 80 road hexes. You absolutley need to get those ZOC’s in place to stop a breakthough.

Just like Panzergruppe Guderian!

One of the first SPI S&T games I got in the magazine I think. Or was it Conquistador? Early-mid seventies, whenever. Loved it.

@Brooski

It is! I really like the SCS series and I have to say this one is already near the top of my fave list. Its just the right level of complexity for me with lots of room for maneuver.

That said I may made a real mess of the German first two turns here. I have been prudently killing off as many Soviets as I can rather than dashing for location VP’s. We shall see how that works out for me. The tide apparently turns hard midway through the game as Hitler removes your mechanized units and the soviets get a ton of reinforcements plus some airpower.

We shall see! :)

I sat down and played a couple firefights in Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal (tabletop) yesterday, and we really had a great time. Its amazing how easy that game is to learn, especially compared to Band of Brothers, which I’m still trying to figure out. The action point system might be unrealistic, but I think it makes the game easier for non-wargamers to pick up. I especially like how some missions will give you special abilities via cards that can make some squads more unique.