Grognard Wargamer Thread!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G08PEXO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5et3Ab14V7581

Think I need to get one of these.

I’m not sure I ever had physical copies of any of the Fleet games, but I did have this:

http://morssweb.com/5thfleet/

I exchanged some emails with Mark about it. My guess is that he has other stuff going on, plus playtesting is difficult without a completed VASSAL module, which sounds like it isn’t complete because the map and counter changes aren’t complete.

Let me know what you think. I put it away because of the horrible rulebook.

For 1/2" counters I strongly suggest the 2mm clipper instead. 2.5mm gives you these really rounded corners that I think are excessive. I use my 2.5mm clipper for 1" counters only- on the rest I use 2mm. I can post examples sometime.

I concur, the 2mm gives the best results for my taste on 1/2" and 5/6" counters, which make up like 95% of the wargames I play.

Will do. There is a revised rulebook pdf file available from the DVG site here: http://www.mcssl.com/store/danverssengames/tabletop-games/b-17-flying-fortress-leader and from BoardGameGeek here: B-17 FFL Rulebook - Version 2 FINAL | B-17 Flying Fortress Leader You need to be registered at the latter site to do the download, but not at the DVG site.

Haha, I feel out of place here, I wasn’t even around for the xth fleet games. I have a lot of wargames but I don’t have anything from the 80s.

Yeah, the updated rulebook isn’t much better from what I recall. Some guy in Boardgamegeek did it because the original was so awful and Dan Verssen picked it up.

I wrote a rant about this literally years ago, reposting it here:

http://tleaves.com/2010/12/31/a-battle-lost-through-attrition/index.html

I will note that there have been a number of titles that have done a reasonable job of this in recent years - Order of Battle is a reasonable update of Panzer General, and I think Unity of Command does a good job of exploring “what can a computer bring to a hex game that a boardgame couldn’t reasonably do?”. And both of them have OK (not superb) UIs.

So… I’ve been trying to set up this for a while, and it’s finally done. Having a newborn and thus having really cut off playing time and space helped me pull the trigger.

Basically is a magnetic whiteboard (120x90cm, which just fits two 22x34" maps unless they go together by the long side) and rdoxx counter sleds with an adhesive magnet in the back.

The sleds are a new development and what made me pull the trigger. With 200 sleds per size (I’m getting 1/2" and 5/8" sleds) it’s much more cost and setup effective than counter magnets (which were really hard to find until recently and we would be talking at least about 500 magnets per size to achieve similar stacking capabilities in most circumstances).

There are some limitations that counter magnets wouldn’t have, mostly regarding unit facing. So tactical games very facing dependent are out. But most 2 map operational or strategic stuff should be fine.

If/when we move to a bigger place the system can be expanded to a 4 map holding whiteboard :D

Wow that is fantastic!

That’s beautiful. But how do you roll the dice on that board without them falling off? Magnetic? :P

You’ve probably seen this already but here is a game play video by the designer that explains the rules while he sets up and runs a mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLg_Kd1qBo

Yeah I’ve seen that. The problem is that you still need a rulebook.

Did something happen at DVG? One of the last things I bought from the them was U-Boat Leader, which suffered not only from being undercooked/undertested, but had kind of a crap manual as well. The game got a little more cooked after that with an errata book, but I haven’t picked up a DVG game since then… even though the Nimitz Commander or whatever it was called looked right up my alley.

I suspect (with zero evidence to back myself up - this is all total speculative collusion with Russia) that the pace of new games and Kickstarters and the work that goes with that has made it harder for Dan’s small team (him and his wife I think) to keep up with the proceedings.

I also suspect the business model of inserting the “Leader” concept into any and all WWII vehicles can lead to uneven results.

He has always had stinkers, though. Field Commander: Rommel comes to mind.

As for B-17 Flying Fortress Leader, the rules were truly awful. But the game? Eh - I’m not sure anyone has done a good strategic bombing of Germany game. Luftwaffe was not good. B-17 Queen of the Skies was not, either. I dunno about Wing and a Prayer. Do you guys remember Yaquinto’s Bomber? That was pretty good as I recall, although BGG disagrees with its below-7 rating.

Just pulled out my copy of Luftwaffe a while ago but was not inspired to do anything with it other than look since B-17 FFL is coming tomorrow. I do recall having fun with it many years ago. Never played Yaquinto’s Bomber.

Speaking of solitaire wargames, does anyone have D-Day Omaha Beach? It’s 4th at BGG in the war category. I have Butterfield’s RAF and love it so I’m curious about D-Day OB. Not going to get it any time soon as my wife said “Don’t you have enough board games.” when I casually mentioned B-17 FFL was arriving tomorrow. Her tone made it clear she was not asking a question! lol

I would return B-17 Flying Fortress Leader or sell it on eBay/BGG and immediately purchase D-Day: Omaha Beach. The latter is a superlative solo game: one of the top 5 or 10 in my opinion.