Grognard Wargamer Thread!

So I wonder if the expansion of time and mechanics benefit the game. Often expanding a system beyond the original scope can result in less satisfying outcomes.

However adding in the transition to aircraft carriers is super interesting, and if the mechanics of the politics and conflict are satisfying (my biggest concern), this sounds like an amazing update.

So, Hitler’s Reich is not good. We play three face-to-face games yesterday and found that:

1. The rules are terrible.

2. The strategies may be broken.

Neither of these is surprising for a game by Mark McLaughlin.

You do good work taking the hit for the rest of us, thanks! Will avoid. I cant promise the same for Cataclysm though, ww2 sandbox is pretty appealing.

I’ll be interested to see what your Cataclysm experience is. We have another 3-player game set up for Saturday. Sort of a “give it one more chance” deal. I’m not optimistic.

I will share! its gonna be a while tho, my house guests have been here 10 days so no boardgaming, I am hitting my backlog this week, Kanga’s Burma & Hollandspeil’s The Wars of Marcus probably will be up first.

Wot?? Get them to play with you!

Hmmm. Well one of them, maybe, but in general the ladies from Singapore seem indifferent to hex and counter consims. :)

catticvs

:SHOW WAR GAMES TO THE SINGAPORE LADIES
(Getting the War Games first.)
The Singapore Ladies doesn’t seem interested.

Hey, maybe they’d dig the Malaya Campaign!? What? No? Sorry…

@Navaronegun @scharmers

I know, they have a frankly offensive indifference to wargaming. Maybe I should offer to let them play with my miniatures?

I heard somewhere that Singapore ladies prefer Napoleonic miniatures. But they will settle for 19th Century Colonial “Queen and Country” kind of stuff.

I am dying here :)

dead sexxxy

The ladies love it when you land at Khota Baru.

source

Where we’re goin’, we don’t need combat factors.

Forgotten Legions?

Baptism by Fire

I’d be curious what you (or anyone else here) think of the game, and the BCS system in general.

BCS is an interesting system- the focus is on organizations rather than logistics, like OCS. There are more units but it’s designed to play faster despite that. The system is clearly designed to avoid the problems of written orders and the designer notes feel like someone who’s trying to capture the essence without actually having the clunk of it. The interaction between armor and infantry is also done in a way I haven’t really seen before.

I’m working myself through BCS right now, though I feel OCS is more hefty at the moment. BCS is lighter, easier to understand and is inventive in its own way.

The big thing i’ve noticed in BCS is the alternating division activations makes for an easier game to play in small spurts. You can do a division and be done and come back to the game later. I do think the smaller Last Blitzkrieg scenarios are more interesting than Baptism by Fire, but Kasserine is less played out than the Bulge, I suppose.