Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Disqualified. Reskinning a game with themed pieces doesn’t count.

Reminds me, remember that Civil War Time-Life Ches set they used to advertise? I still want that!

I like how stringent you are being on mechanics, but I don’t like sticking to historical simulations. Stuff like Space Empires 4X (GMT) or Attack Vector are not exactly historical, but it plays and feels pretty much like a wargame. So does Dragon Pass and some fantasy games, although I think there are probably more sci-fi wargames.

They are just drops in the bucket when compared to historical titles, so I don’t think it changes the data much, though.

And it’s you going through the mess, so please do whatever the hell you want :P

Who are these “Germanians” and need we fear them?

He was very specifically given bs on “Historical Board Wargames…no orks or space marines stuff”.

I have a small but growing collection of Japanse wargames. Much stuff inspired by squad leader but adding mechs. They are pretty and they definitely are wargames.

I have mint copies of these (I play with printed scans):

I know, but it’s spilting hairs if we are looking at how niche the hobby is. Anyways, as I said, these are pretty uncommon so its really me being grumpy at sci-fi stuff getting ignored.

I’ll cheer you up.

Death from Above, Juan!

Ah, but at the end, I will publish the spreadsheet and you will be able to go through can add all the sci fi back in! It’s just a column with COUNTIF() at the bottom.

Ok, that’s cool :D

Germanians:

You:

A certain amount of fear in this scenario might be reasonably healthy.

Here is an interesting solitaire print-n-play, designed for a contest.

I really like War of Succession. I’ve played a couple dozen hours and haven’t had any crashes. The engine is definitely slow and sluggish though. I’m reading Churchill’s life of Marlborough as well and the ageod engine is quite good at capturing the war of manoeuvre he describes.

No crashes? Hmmm…tempted again. Are you playing the long campaigns, Sam? I’ve read Life of Marlborough and was audiobooking it a while ago, but dropped off. This might get me back into that!

You have to skip forward a bit in Churchill to the war, all the early stuff and internal politicking is a bit dry.

The narrator does a pretty fantastic Winston impression while reading it. I actually found all the family stuff and whatnot (his young career and all) really interesting. But I am the guy who has watched this series 4 times…

My favourite story so far is from the first year of the war. Marlborough was with his main army in the recently captured fortress of Liege after taking all of the fortresses on the Meuse river with barely a shot being fired. As both sides were bunking down for winter, Marlborough sailed in a yacht down the Meuse river towards The Hague, hoping to catch a ship back home across the Channel.

But one evening his yacht was captured by a small French cavalry unit who asked for the passports of the yacht’s passengers to determine whether they had leave to pass through. Marlborough handed over a copy of his brother’s passport, who was a mere lieutenant-general. After detaining him for 5 hours, and unaware of his true identity, the French let Marlborough go because he was a gentleman, but kept his cook as a prisoner.

The rumour of his capture went viral. In Versailles, the Sun King, Louis XIV, was ecstatic and ordered Marlborough to be brought to him unharmed at once . In The Hague, a note was dispatched to the Holy Roman Emperor in Vienna not to release the valuable French prisoners of war being held there, so they could be ransomed in exchange for Marlborough. At the same time, a relief column was immediately raised to attack the small garrison where the French kidnappers were based. Coming down with almighty force and a blaring of trumpets, the English demanded the French give up the prisoner they had taken from the yacht under pain of death. Somewhat confused by the attention this had gathered, the French (who still had no idea) sent out the cook.

While all this was going on, Marlborough arrived in The Hague, safe and sound to an enormous cheering crowd.

He was…an Action Hero.

Decided to pass on this one, AGEODs PBEM doesn’t use PBEM++. It’s from the year 1997. I thought I was a the blitz in the old days playing Steel Panthers getting a Zip file ready! Insta-refund, @MiquelRamirez

We’ll find something else Sam.

I’m up to the battle of Ramillies where he was being chased on foot by French cavalry, he ran towards a square of British troops, dropped down and slid under the line of bayonets of the front row who then opened fire on his attackers! Dude was 56!