Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Make it another backer.

I went with Admiral, so I’ll have an extra copy, to include DLC pass, to use as a prize or something for a game tournament.

I liked Wars of Succession so much I wrote a piece on it
https://explorminate.net/2018/11/05/monday-excursion-wars-of-succession/

Great article, Sam!

If it had serviceable PBEM, I’d be all over it (as we discussed).

Hey Ty all for the carrier battles links.

I noticed “the battle of midway documentary” on Amazon and thought – what the heck. Who would have thought the detail. It may have been part propaganda. But it sure looked realistic compared to what I have read.

Oh and btw as a rare battle scenario (whatever you grognards are calling it now as I’ve seen above) --The Aluetian Islands campaign. Air sea and ground.

That Carrier Battles game looks cool, but the Kickstarter makes me think that they don’t really know what they’re doing. The stretch goals make no sense. Multiplayer is a stretch goal? Guys, if your game isn’t built for multiplayer, bolting it on afterwards is probably more work than the rest of the game combined. Submarines as a stretch goal? Is the game balanced for submarines or isn’t it? People are gonna vote on what the stretch goal is?

Hey, I have an idea, why don’t you design your damn game and then make it. You don’t know what game you’re making until you know how much money you have? Why should I give you money unless I know what game you’re making?

Where are those listed? If there is no Multiplayer, then they just lost me.

EDIT: just found them. Making a comment to that effect (no multiplayer, no Navaronegun).

You gotta scroll down like halfway. Also, it looks like maybe by default they’re gonna have hotseat only.

Just found it. thanks, see my edit above. Stealing your words…

Thanks for spotting that Josh. Yeah no Multiplayer for a Turn based game? Idiotic.

That stopped me cold in my tracks too when I saw the campaign.

Any naval World War II game that doesn’t automatically include submarines is not worthy of consideration IMO.

My comment on Kickstarter re: Multiplayer:

I want to back this project. I have, in fact, but Multiplayer is a stretch goal? If your game isn’t built for multiplayer, bolting it on afterwards is probably more work than the rest of the game combined. Will there be a Multiplayer option built into this game (that isn’t “email a zip file”)? If not, please let me know and I’ll withdraw my funding. That feature should be standard in any Turn-Based game.

The developer’s response:

Hello Patrick

Thanks for your comments and support. As anounced in the campaign, there will be a multiplayer option in it for sure. The matter is that IF we don’t reach the stretch goal, the option will come, but at a later stage, as we shall need to finance it through regular sales and not KS support. As a consequence, it will be done as our first priority post release, but the deadline remains unknown in such a case.

If we reach the goal, then we are 100% certain to make it and, time and difficulty permitting, having it on release (as for example we could have an extra developper hired with the extra financing obtained, and thus meet the timeline)

And of course, if we don’t reach the first goal (20,000€) the question won’t matter as the game won’t even be made.

Thoughts? Does this make any sense, programmers?

Designing without multiplayer in mind and trying to tack it onto the end is…dumb. They’d be wasting a lot of time and “stretch” money going this route.

That’s what I thought. They also throw a lotta bs “neural net” AI terms around when they talk about aspirations (in the comments). I think they wanna port their game onto PC cheaply, (to wit - with no alterations) pocket the KS money and then see what they wanna do with it. Cancelling.

I pledged the Carrier Battles game at the Captain level. This is the kind of effort that deserves to be supported regardless of features. Actual wargames are not such a popular market, as opposed to shoot 'em ups placed in military themes. I play all my board games solitaire, and while a multiplayer component would be welcomed it’s been reported constantly that computer wargamers overwhelmingly play solitaire. But, suit yourselves. No one can hold a gun to your head.

Nonetheless, I don’t think this game’s going to succeed in its KS. Only about 5.6K Euros pledged so far and they need to reach 20K. They should’ve been halfway there at least. Not enough visibility online. I saw it mentioned here and on BGG. Only 136 backers. Not very good.

t’s a standard feature for a Turn Based Games as well as the Subs mentioned earlier. These guys are trying to get away with doing a straight up iOS to PC port with zero functionality increase for their target price. Uh-uh. If I wanted what they are offering, I’d just buy it at the app store.

I would argue that submarines would actually be out of place in a Pacific theater tactical game that aims to model the major carrier battles.

This is accurate. Most sub kills of Capitals/Large Ships in the Pacific (by both sides) were after major engagements on against ships en route from point a to point b.

My Great Uncle went down in an action like that:

But I ain’t backing a game that is a straight port from App Store to PC.

EDIT: I need to read this every couple of years or so. It always sobers me up. My Paternal grandma’s brother was the first member of our Irish ragamuffin family to graduate college. University of Florida. Engineer. Class of 1940. Pride of the family. Went to war. Chief Engineer on the Liscome Bay. Then this happened during Galvanic.

The torpedo struck abaft the after engine room[3] and detonated the aircraft bomb magazine, located between frames 152 to 168, causing a major explosion which engulfed the ship and sent shrapnel flying as far as 5,000 yd (4,600 m).[5] Considerable debris fell on New Mexico , about 1,500 yd (1,400 m) distant from Liscome Bay . The explosion completely demolished and killed everyone aft of the forward bulkhead of the after engine room. The hangar deck aft of frame 110 and the flight deck aft of 101 were destroyed and missing. The forward part of the hangar was immediately engulfed in an intense fire, igniting the few remaining planes on the flight deck. All services, steam, compressed air, and firemain pressure were lost in the remaining portion of the ship. [4] “It didn’t look like a ship at all”, wrote Lieutenant John C. W. Dix, communications officer on Hoel , “We thought it was an ammunition dump… She just went whoom — an orange ball of flame.”[5]

I’d take Soren Johnson’s view on it, and start out from multiplayer and then make an ai that can play it.

Ouch. Sobering indeed.

I wonder if the Casablanca class was originally called that… the Battle of Casablanca occurred November 8th, the wiki says the class was commissioned Nov 3.

A less sobering story of my own:
My fraternal grandfather served on the USS California , after she was raised in Pearl Harbor, boarding her shortly after Lingayen Gulf. I believe he was part of the crew replacing those killed in the Kamikaze attack.

He kept a journal, describing the action through the end of war, as well as visits to various ports before returning home. Sadly, he died of lung cancer before I was born, but my old man shared that journal with me.

Fast forward to 2011. I’m having lunch in Tulsa, at a burger joint decorated with art from locals. On the far wall I notice this:

It is the USS California, departing New York around 1936. It is a lousy print and frame, but I’m able to track down the artist and, long story short (too late!)… the old man got a helluva birthday present.