Grognard Wargamer Thread!

In one Pacific War game, (it was a team game) we took Pearl on the first turn.

Still lost…

Nah, I only play opposed. If you are interested in a Vassal game live, PM me. The module is top-notch. We could probably finish a game in 4-5 hours.

Below is an excerpt of a draft of a Critique of EotS I am working on. Should be done this week.

Ooh, look forward to reading the full thing.

Hmm … does it model subs?

Yep, “War in the Pacific/Admiral’s Edition” models every individual submarine and ship and aircraft in the Pacific war. (Well, it models ships down to about the size of PT Boats and barges, and it also models each individual mini-sub.) It models every individual torpedo and other ammo for everything. Every submarine has a named commander, every aircraft has a named pilot with stats, every ship has a CO, and every task force of ships has a task force commander.

The default game turn is 1 day long, so it really does take years to play a PBEM. You can play with 3-day turns, but it still takes years. :) The game scale is 30 nautical miles per hex, and the map is gigantic, stretching from Bombay to the western US, with off-map holding areas representing Panama, Aden, etc.

No sane person would play it! And yet I’ve logged probably 1000 hours playing it. While I had the bug, it was all-consuming, in the way Advanced Squad Leader (and Magic: The Gathering) once was for me. I don’t recommend buying WITP/AE unless you don’t feel like playing any other games. :P

Gary Grigsby. Doing the Strategic at the Tactical level since 1999.

Yep. Or vice-versa, lol.

Yeah, when you’re doing that nothing makes sense anyway…

Hmm … does it model conspiracy theories?

It is kind of a what if I took the detail of Campaign for North Africa and applied it to the Pacific theater game. There are people that love it though.

Seafood Pasta!

Ya know, one thing I don’t quite get is why anyone would think it was a bad thing that the US got into the war against Nazi Germany. I mean, these conspiracy people seem to rely on their audience believing the better outcome would have been the US not getting involved, and Germany winning. Given how horrible the Germans were even while losing, one shudders to think what they might have done had they been able to win. Even if one figures the USSR would have been a very tough nut to crack, without a threat to the west the Germans would have had decent odds of at least holding a lot of territory in the east.

Given all that happened with Hitler and his Reich, I’m rather glad the US got involved, and really if FDR had to stack the deck to do it, God bless him.

Yeah, if you are a proponent of that conspiracy line it kind of logically all ends in the Howard Campbell recruitment speech to the POWs in Slaughterhouse Five, doesn’t it?

Come on folks, this was hilarious!

Well I thought it was at least consistent with my stubbornness. “Hilarious” may be too strong,

Or “ignorance” as was pointed out a few days ago.

Despite the insanity of it, War in the Pacific/Admiral’s Edition did give me a gaming experience that I haven’t got from any other tactical / operational Pacific war game. Unlike almost every other operational level game, you simply can’t redirect your forces from one theatre to another on a whim, or fire amphibious operations from the hip. There is no escaping the need to have the right shipping assembled in the right places, having the supplies you need in place, and preparing the basing infrastructure for your land-based air. If you haven’t planned for any of that then you quickly lose speed, effectiveness and momentum.

I found that need to plan my operations out in advance and see them work (or not) over time was incredibly rewarding. If you want a game to hammer home the old saying that amateurs talk tactics, while professionals talk logistics, then WiTP/AE is it.

I doubt I’ll be able to play it again (until I retire), but I’m glad I found the time for it.

But that uniform, though…

Ask General Patton. He famously declared that we fought the wrong enemy. I guess TPTB couldn’t tolerate that and had him killed. Conspiracy “theory” no. 2.

Guys, I know you talked about this above, but I really think this convo should be moved to P&R before it’s too late.

While I rather agree with Navaronegun that military history is integral to discussions of military simulations, I think you’re probably right. At this point, discussion of alternate history is becoming discussion of ideology.

Agreed.