Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Battle of Perryville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cenYrJDs-U

Just to reply to this thread to say my copy of 1985 Under and Iron Sky arrives tomorrow! Properly stoked and thanks to Juan for giving me a heads up on the 3rd echelon…

Just got an email that Grand Tactician is out in EA. Probably not gonna jump on the $40 price…although I might…it does look very cool.

Come on, take one for the team and let us know what you think of it. ;)

Take forty for the team, you mean!

Or, give forty, as the case may be!

The game does look wicked cool. I’m just not sure how much ACW I can take any more.

The part of my brain that absolutely loves that West Point War Atlas look of the map is having a serious argument with the part of my brain that hates that you have to zoom in closer and forgo that beautiful map to manage things.

Stoopid map-loving brain.

Fellow marsupial! I agree with your sentiments entirely.

Combat Mission Shock Force 2’s Steam release has been delayed till next Tuesday, September 1st. They haven’t updated the Steam page yet but I just got an email about it.

Shocking.

Uh, has no one mentioned this yet?

It’s made by a guy who made a fairly ambitious mod for Wargame: Airland battle and is a real-time game that’s single-player only. I played it when it was on preview for a bit and it’s not too bad, though I do prefer opposed play in these games.

Sooooo… if I want a game that is basically a WWII Pacific war game, focused on a free-form campaign, also focused on naval operations and naval combat (especially the CVs) and the cat and mouse part of the Pacific naval war, without having to micromanage a ton of logistics such as making sure I am building enough bladders to carry fuel on refuel ships and have the right nozzles built in order to refuel a specific DD, what would that be? I’ll be playing on a 2019 X1 Carbon Thinkpad notebook.

In computer wargaming land your options are a Panzer general rip off Or a Gary Grigsby how many tons of oil do I need nightmare built for Vista. Typical.

Might I suggest Empire of the Rising Sun on Vassal.

It sounds like War Plan Pacific would fit the bill: a streamlined game covering the whole pacific theatre with focus on Air/Naval ops. I remember enjoying it quite a bit way back when.

However, it is 12 years old and I notice it is still being sold for a healthy $39.95…which seems a bit much…

I really liked the idea behind WPP, but for some reason, everything runs slowly for me in the game (a bit like Vic Davis games made on Adobe Director).

@JeffL, this is the right answer (unfortunately, if you are looking for a PC game).

I’d be happy to teach you (or anyone else on the forum) who wants to learn the EOTS rules. I’ll also provide an opponent on VASSAL. I am probably not worse than playing an AI in most wargames, but no promises.

Don’t undersell yourself!

I would be interested in this FWIW ;)

I’m available after 8 ET most nights. If that fits into your schedule, drop me a PM.

I can be a PBEM opponent as well, but it is harder to teach that way.