Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Uh…

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Brotherhood_%26_Unity

Finally!

Panzer Battles Moscow AAR: https://www.wargamedesignstudio.com/2021/02/08/panzer-battles-moscow-the-first-after-action-report/

The Advanced Squad Leader rulebook is now available in an electronic version, with hyperlinks and all the shizzle. Call it the eASLRB. RB does not stand for “running back.” $60.

https://www.wargamevault.com/m/product/344879

Unfortunately it can’t be read in a vehicle in motion. Weird.

fwiw when you next check mmp and discover they have burned down their own website you are correct.

https://mmpgamers.com/

To keep the new site as clean and secure as possible, we are not importing customer information or order history from our old site. After evaluating the data in our previous site and evaluating how it would impact our new site going forward, we decided it would not work to import the old data. One factor was that many customers had challenges with their accounts on our previous site. Not importing that data was the best way to ensure the performance and stability of the new site remains high. All customers will need to create an account on our new site.

tdlr: they wiped your old account because it was convenient for them. Pray they will ship you the games you ordered. Another reason why I dont do the p500 stuff any more.

p.s. I love the way people writing excuse press releases like to throw in “security” a generic excuse for their shoddy work. Like we cant see through that transparent bullshit.

download (35)

WTF?? It’s data - stuff like people’s contact details, passwords and orders. How does that make any difference to the ‘performance and stability’? The only issue that could arise is the time and cost to transfer that across so cheaper to just outsource that back to the customers.

It’s OK MMP, I don’t really feel the need to sign up to your site again.

I wouldn’t like anyone to do this to me, but I couldn’t resist; from the store page

Once added, these updates will be avaliable <sic> to all customers who have purchased this item.
If you’re having problems using the eASLRB or notice typographical errors that should fixed <sic> in future releases, please drop us a line at:

This isn’t an inspiring store page.

Yup I feel exactly the same way. It really sucks because I LOVE MMP games. Love em. Why make it hard for me to be a customer? Just feels bad.

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/combat-mission-cold-war-is-coming-soon

New Combat Mission announced. 1979-1982 Fulda Gap.

I hope they have a CGI Brezhnev giving you orders for the Soviet side.

Combat Mission Cold War is set in the tipping-point years of a conflict that gripped the world for 45 years. Between 1979-1982, both the NATO and Soviet Warsaw Pact militaries began the shift away from industrialized warfare of the early 20th century and towards the modern digital battlefield of today. Combat Mission Cold War simulates several “what if” conflict scenarios between US and Soviet forces centered on the strategic Fulda Gap and environs in West Germany.

The game also simulates the early days of the US National Training Center (NTC) as US forces began to rapidly transform away from Vietnam era doctrine and towards the revolutionary AirLand Battle concepts that would define warfare in the modern era.

Combat Mission Cold War is intended to be a sandbox for experimentation, for example how would a situation unfold when equipped with M-60A3s or M1s in 1982 facing off against T-80s? How about the same situation with M-60A1s or M-60A2s in 1979 against T-64s or T-62s? The game allows a player to do just that!

Combat Mission Cold War comes with 15 standalone scenarios set in the US V and VII Corp sectors of West Germany and 3 full length campaigns:

• The NTC Campaign. The National Training Center in the California Mojave Desert was established in 1982, right at the end of Combat Mission Cold War’s time frame. The NTC campaign puts you in command of a US Army Company Team as it begins its rotation and trial by simulated fire against the premier Soviet style formation in the world, the NTC OPFOR (Opposing Force).

• The US West German Campaign. Set in the southern Fulda Strategic Corridor between Fulda and Hanau, the US campaign unfolds across historically accurate maps as player take charge of the 2nd Bn TF of the 28th Infantry Regt in a race to stop the Soviet juggernaut. In keeping with the sandbox theme of Combat Mission Cold War, there are two versions of the US Campaign, 1982 and 1979 to allow players the opportunity to see and compare the differences in equipment between the two periods.

• The Soviet Campaign. Set north and east of Fulda, the Soviet Campaign follows the “Ride of the 120th Motor Rifle Regt” on the opening 48 hours of a fictional “what if” West German invasion. Players will fight on historical battlefields “that never were”, such as Eiterfield and Alsfeld as part of the first wave of Soviet troops racing towards their divisional objectives.

Now, that’s a CM I’d probably get, as the subject matter is right up my alley (though I’d prefer mid-eighties as the setting).

I like Black Sea and have been playing a bit since it came to Steam. But everything in that is sooo deadly it will be interesting to see what stuff several decades earlier was like.

That’s one good thing about the era they chose, I guess. You get the earlier versions of a lot of the stuff that later becomes super deadly, and a lot of older stuff too.

A wealth of stuff that they can incorporate in expansions as well. Hope it works out for them.

Definitely would like to see it go in an Armored Brigade direction with nation packs like UK, France etc.

They have even done a video!! The marketing deal with Slitherine is paying off.

I spent one summer in high school in the Fulda Gap near the end of the Cold War, and it blew my mind that you’d have main battle tanks and IFVs rolling around the streets and autobahn every day and no one batted an eye.

I lived in Germany three different times, at three different ages, from an infant to a working adult. Signs that had pictures of tanks on them for weight limits, bridges set up with demolition points, highways with convoys of armored vehicles, all that jazz. In Berlin, my last time over there, I remember one exercise they did where I was walking down the street near a base and in a random parking lot I saw a mortar carrier loosely disguised with junk and trash to look like a dumpster.

Of course, I also ate my lunch sitting outside on a radar-type tower as the East German helos flew by a couple hundred meters away across the wall, with their binocs and sometimes machine guns trained on us. Which was nowhere near as disconcerting as the horrible smells from the men’s room on that base, where the local contractors had installed the pipes from the toilets with zero downslope, so stuff just sat there until the sheer pressure of it pushed it down the pipe. They did fix that, eventually, but man it was stinky for a while.

I was a young soldier in the Fulda Gap (just east of Hanau) just after the fall of the Wall. It was an interesting time.

It’s funny, i actually just bought the old versions of the original CM trilogy from GOG as they were on sale. I essentially bought the first one because I wanted to replay the Chance Encounter scenario from the original demo 20 years ago and then decided, what the heck, why not get all 3? Anyways, after doing a quick bit of modding of the BMPs so that they look a little nicer I started playing the scenario as the US. It was just like I remembered it twenty years ago! I still remember when it came out, it was absolutely light years of anything that had come previous. I advanced on the town fairly rapidly and my Shermans took out the German Stug 3s in rapid succession and then started firing on anything that moved with their MGs. I thought to myself, “This game is a lot easier than i remember it being.” I captured all the victory points except for the one on the left flank in the forested area on the German side. I rushed a couple of rifle squads and an HQ over to the forest and took cover. I thought I would ambush any Germans that happened to move forward. But by that point my Shermans had moved up and were mowing down the fleeing soldiers. So I thought what the heck, I’m just going to rush this point and that will be the game. So i ordered them to advance on the flag and then hit the end turn button. When I watched the playback I saw to my horror the the forest was teeming with German soldiers! My squads fought well but eventually became pinned and then panicked. They had 9 and 15 kills respectively before they bugged out. I received another platoon of reinforcements and immediately rushed them forward in support thinking that I had pretty much bled the enemy dry but still they kept coming! The whole battle was taking place deep in the forest where my tanks couldn’t lend support and grenades were flying everywhere. My troops were even being attacked from the rear by some submachine gun squads which I’m not sure how was even possible considering how I was dominating them up to that point. My reinforcements were totally ground up and eventually it came down to my half strength HQ and depleted rifle squad engaging in CQB with the remnants of a German HQ. We finally came out on top after taking out some remaining Volksgrenadier units but i had come close to losing two platoons in that forest. We had about 50 casualties to the enemy’s 200 but almost all of ours came in those last few moments of the battle. It really brought back to me what amazing games the originals in the series were.

Battlefront are at least more forthcoming with information than Matrix usually are. The scheduled release date is April 2021 and it will release on Steam the same day as Matrix/Battlefront.