Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Issues with TOAW IV, 2017. Resolution then, “disable scaling.” Promise then, “It’s our top issue.”

Status now:

https://youtu.be/PCY0aeUx-Ns

@TheWombat is right, why can’t they do what every other developer on earth does and rely on midware that utilizes Win 10 scaling? I mean, heck, Slitherene’s other products that use the ancient Unity engine do.

Unity may be ancient in origin, but so is Unreal. Unity is updated all the time, as is Unreal, etc. But yeah, it ain’t the scalpel, it’s the surgeon.

It seems especially on the Matrix side that the developers are pretty much left to their own devices. I think they should have cut down on the number of products or developers they were working with and actually dedicated real resources to the projects. Then maybe they would actually be somewhat decent.

I like that they still have you fiddling with the dpi settings with their fixed executable. I don’t know if that is getitng them back to what the default setting would be, or if it is more tinkering.

Are there any benefits for a game like this to use 64 bits? I thought it was memory usage, although I have no idea how much this series consumes.

It sounded like they might be having some memory issues, or at least that is what I took away from this:

“This both optimizes memory management further to allow the 32-bit engine to be more stable in 4k resolutions”

At the kind of budget these games go by (I they are lower than what most people realize) I am baffled by their reliance of home grow engines. That stuff takes ages to be built, even when as small in scope as this, and it’s almost as hard to keep up to date.

Yeah, that’s the thing. Most modern game engines and even some of the middleware have a variety of licensing options that should work for just about size dev team. I suspect that there is some (perhaps understandable) reluctance to learn anything new, though. But I hasten to add I do not know.

There are some slitherine products that are done in Unity, and who’da thunk it- they actually don’t have this problem. Even some really janky low budget steam wargames get this right just by being built on the unity engine.

I think, unfortunately, most of the old hands at Matrix aren’t really willing to learn how to work with that kind of middleware and want to tinker with fifteen year old software to make new products.

Taking a stab at the campaign as the Germans, who knows how far I’ll get, but I did set up all the air myself, rather than have the AI automate it. Here are the first turn losses. (I would have never been able to know what I was doing, but a guy from the Matrix forums has some excellent vids of his air strike/ recon setups, which helped a lot. Here’s a link to the first one: War in the East 2, ep-1: First turn-Air directives for Luftflotte 1 - YouTube)

@MikeOberly Thanks for the link. Will definitely have to watch those.

Their hot-fix didn’t, but I figured out one little thing that fixed my text issue: turn off anti-aliasing in the Nvidia Control Panel just for this game. Voila. Should not have to do that, but when a game is designed without taking advantage of, oh, twenty or thirty years of technological advances in game coding, this is what you get.

Btw. Posting here as an alert. Atlantic Chase by the Skies Above the Reich designer Jeremy (Jerry) White is very, very good.

Seconded. It is also extremely pretty.

Ah crap I knew I was going to have to buy it. I had actually thought I had it on p500. I was at a GMT warehouse when he was showing it off and was very interested. My other two games of his, Skies Above the Reich and Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid are great as well.

Won the Cold War with that baby.

You just know someone made a bet with their colleagues that they could get a custom built RV for their national parks vacation.

Heh. Stripes.

What I’ve seen people post on Twitter seems to indicate this is a pretty good game. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-598-bayonets-tomahawks.aspx

I haven’t been able to play my copy of Wilderness War yet so that’s another reason I’m a little hesitant.

Can’t help - when I saw the topic it went to the bottom of my interest list.

If it were about the Beaver Wars it would be a different story.