Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Alas I wasn’t the first to answer that 🤏.

Atlantic Chase does look refreshingly interesting. But I think I’ll wait for the second reprint, I assume the known errors shall be fixed in the next print?

Ok, we have OP9: Arctic Calamity set up. Tom is the Allies. Let’s see how it goes.

How I know you are not playing with Tom in person, the can of Coke on the table.

That said, that looks intriguing. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Tirpitz sorties and intercepts the Murmansk convoy. Setting up the advanced battleboard.

Haha ur trolled, Murmansk is closed in this scenario—the Arctic convoy is headed to Archangel.

Tirpitz did sortie early, with Admiral Hipper.

Initiative went back and forth a few times and Adm. Tovey’s task force failed to make contact at first, while Tirpitz and Hipper surprised the convoy.

Eventually the Royal Navy brought the Tirpitz to battle, but not before she and the U-boats had inflicted six hits on the convoy. The ensuing battle damaged the Tirpitz, but she and Adm. Hipper managed to escape back to Narvik.

I have a lot of thoughts on this but it’s too late for that tonight.

Nice looking components.

Is this just about PQ17 or are there more scenarios?

There’s a lot of scenarios going from '39 to '42. There’s even a campaign game that kind of works as a best 3 out of 5 with yearly ops(2 in 1941) and german ships having to start where they went to port last op.

Scenarios?

Just for you guys.

Who won at Imperial Struggle?

Still playing. Turn 3.

Please don’t tell us the fishing game was the best one. ;)

Finished. Tom won, and it wasn’t really close at the end, despite the French (me) having essentially run the British out of North America.

The American Revolution was a tie! Despite my owning every fort and territory in North America, Tom cleverly leveraged the Hessians and the Spanish to prevent the formation of greatest nation on Earth. But it wouldn’t have changed the outcome.

Is there any interest in a forum game of Here I Stand, Ed Beach’s modern classic on the Reformation?

It would likely be a bit of a long term commitment for players, but Here I Stand is a cool game that is worth the time.

We’d need six players. I think @Cuthbert is in, and of course I will play, so that leaves four to go. Any takers?

I’ll join. I’ve been wanting to try one of these for a while (was looking at Virgin Queen but this will do fine)

I’m in

I’d like to, but I can’t for several reasons right now. I will follow the thread enviously, though. Great game.

I really like Here I Stand. I’m interested. How would we play?

I was thinking we would use the VASSAL module and drop box or Google drive to store move files. That will handle cards and what not. Communication through the forum, with moves posted in the thread, ideally.

I would love to be able to play some of the turns out in real time, but I don’t think that will feasible given time zones and availability restrictions.