Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Oh, I believe you. It’s one of those things that depends somewhat on monitor, size, rez, etc. But it’s still a fact that the level of coding is abysmal, not at all up to date, and does not use best practices for UI/UX design. It’s antediluvian at best.

Thanks!

Yes, it is WitE2. 0MGLOL

As for the actual question, it’s not even the same scenario.

Heh, I was wondering if someone could actually get from Jun 41 to Jan 45 in 24 hours. :)

Big step forward tonight! Played a wargame … against a human being.

Friend came over and I introduced him to wargaming with a 2-player learning game of Shores of Tripoli.

Worked really well, good time had by all.

Games with humans are mostly about social interaction, at least for me; I have rarely actually finished face to face games over the years, but have had a lot of fun socializing in that context. Then again, I’m not terribly concerned about the “game” aspect of games, more about other things. Finding a good set of people to socialize with over games though can be difficult I’ve found.

Or maybe I’m just obnoxious and no one likes me. That is definitely possible.

Yeah, we ended up chatting about all sorts of history connected to the game as we played along. It was a good relaxing Friday night. He’s not a video gamer, not a board gamer, and not a wargamer, so I was a bit dubious going in. But it worked great, and as you mention, the social wrapper around the game was a big plus.

You just have to be willing to try and fail. I’ve played plenty of games with people once. I don’t play again because. But I’ve found at least two outstanding people with whom I socialize and have become good friends with because we initially played wargames. And we continued to play wargames.

No doubt, but then, you probably actually like people!

This!

Jenkins

Vassal … has … modernized… their … website.

Let that sink in for a bit.

The End Times are truly upon us.

Backed.

Oh, is this your game by any chance?

Mine? Nope. Navaronegun’s? Nope.

For those here who, like @Tom_Mc, enjoy Sekigahara, here is an upcoming design that seems to use a similar system (just from description and observation --I haven’t read the rules – so no promises). Also, it is from Compass Games, so @Navaronegun should disregard.

https://www.compassgames.com/product/granada-last-stand-of-the-moors-1482-1492/

The game is closely based on Sekigahara , with a little more chrome. Here is a list of differences written by the designer (in Spanish):

https://labsk.net/index.php?topic=226490.msg2179533#msg2179533

There is also an interview in English on The Player’s Aid:

Since you guys didn’t mention the name of the game, I will. It’s called Granada: Last Stand of the Moors. And it gleefully violates the Islamic prohibition on imagery in favor of some lushly Christian illustrations. Check out the artwork on those cards!

I’m not recalling anything that gorgeous in Sekigahara. Did Sekigahara even have artwork? Besides the cover of the box?

-Tom

The art is by Iván Cáceres, who designed the game (and art for) Santa Cruz 1797 and is also the main illustrator for Ruhnke’s Almoravid, La carga de los tres reyes (based on the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa in 1212) and Tanto monta. As a result, the man is quite fed up with medieval Spain.