Grognard Wargamer Thread!

This kind of gives me a big chubby

Probably a discussion for a separate thread rather than derail this one I think…

Yeah, I just dove into the series here with that one. I’m struggling a little bit with support request. Specifically being a forward air controller. Because we don’t actually see the aircraft but we can see their shots and things shooting at them I know they’re there but it was a little muddled. RTFM I suppose for more clarity and I’ll keep at it.

Possibly, though grognards argue about this stuff all the time. No different really than counting rivets, though perhaps with more oomph to it :).

I have had this for a while, from Battlefront, but have not dived into it much. Need to do so eventually.

Anybody want a copy of this? Expansion #1. I ended up with two. Free to you except you pay postage.

I went in on MBT a while back. That’s the same basic system, right? Or do I not have that correct? I though about Panzer as well but MBT is unplayed and would be unlikely to jump in without playing what I have. I’ll have to crack the rulebook again but is the system a vaguely WEGO design? Also with some hidden information too if I recall. That might be a reason it never got to the table for me to even push around solo.

Thanks for the heads up. Since it has turn based ‘we-go’ as an option, I’ll buy it.

Tempted, but odds are it would sit in my closet unplayed.

Ha! I’m waiting for my P500 order of the Panzer base game to arrive on Saturday! I’m hoping it’ll feel like an updated version of the old Tobruk game.

If the expansion is still looking for a home after a bit, I’d be happy to take you up on that kind offer, for sure. Having said that, I’d feel a bit more comfortable if it went to someone who has played the base game and who knows already that they’ll definitely like the system. I picked up the base game to see if I like the system before heading off into the expansions.

The Panzer system is almost as old as the original Tobruk system, but in my opinion it plays much faster and is much less tedious. (this is coming from someone who played a shitload of Tobruk as a teen)

Yeah, I played Tobruk but it was tedious as hell.

Note that Jim Day’s Panzer system is quite simplified in many ways in its current incarnation compared to his original 1978 system for Yaquinto. Check out this freaking angle calculator!

That’s cuz you had to do stuff like this:

And don’t forget plotted movement! Now we just have “Move” and “Fire” and “Overwatch” orders, but back then? You had to plot each unit’s movement hex by hex, including reverses and turns!

Compare the Tiger I cards from the two games and you see what I mean.

The current version actually has quite a bit more chrome, but the basic system is simpler.

I had all this pulled out once to do a video and kinda facepalmed and was like aww who cares.

Damn, I remember that! Even then I found it waaaay too much.

Anyone try Combat Mission: Cold War yet?

A little bit. Literally just the first scenario. It seems pretty good to me. If you like the other games in this system, you’ll like this one. It really does seem like the engine could use an update, but other than that, no real complaints so far.

I’m not sure I understood what tedious was back then. I just remember liking to blow up tanks in Tobruk, and the detail of damage was so cool. I also remember the infantry with all the boxes to cross for losses being both the coolest thing ever and wow, there are lots of things to cross off all the time.

Those were the days.

And that old Panzer system is frightening. That angle of impact calculator is hilarious.

I’ve had it for a while, as I got it from Battlefront. As noted elsewhere, it’s Combat Mission with NATO/WP units in the seventies and eighties in Germany. Graphically it’s, well, let’s just say it’s not visually stunning. But it works.

With so much newer technology since those original Combat Missions came out, a newer skin would be so nice. AI and pathing would be good upgrades to work on but I just can’t play the older ones anymore because of the graphics.

Dream on. Wargamers in general, especially those who do not play other genres much if at all, are basically luddites. Seriously. The Matrix forums are full of people asking about Win 7 support for any new game that is announced. People play on 1024x768 monitors, or the like. Anything that requires a PC configuration post 2000 gets reamed for leaving people behind, being elitist, etc., usually accompanied by some bizarre story about either personal hardship or doctrinal stubbornness to justify the demand for backwards compatibility.

Thus, wargame devs have zero pressure to make games that take advantage of modern hardware, and this trickles down through the UI/UX as well sometimes. The devs that manage to make modern products have to either work extra hard to build in fallbacks for the troglodytes, or endure their forum attacks.

So, yeah, don’t hold your breath.