Grognard Wargamer Thread!

Conquest of the Aegean is the 2nd, dont remember the name of market garden, maybe highway to the reich. This is the panther games stuff that probably has been redone in command ops and command ops 2.

Command Ops?

It’s good stuff. The original scenarios are included in a couple of the DLCs.
Greece is Foothills of the Gods and Holland is Highway to the Reich Vol. 1.

Oh that’s right I found it. I think I remember them switching to some new system where you got the “core game” and then all the individual campaigns came as modules. I wonder how that worked out for them. I’d like to give one of the older games a shot. I remember I used to own the CD version of HTTR (with a paper manual to boot!)

They are with Lock and Load publishing now, and their stuff is on Steam. I don’t own it so not sure what current status is. I believe they are working on moving it to the Eastern front.

The free version of Command Ops 2 on Steam has a really good scenario, St. Vith, to mess around in to see if it’s something you want to pay for. I’m a big fan of the game, but again like John Tiller, your mileage may vary.

To clarify, there is a free version which contains 2 scenarios (I think?) and then there are modules or DLCs or whatever you can purchase to expand the game. HTTR and Bastogne are my favorites.

There supposedly should be an engine update and the release of the Bradley at Bay module this year.

Hopefully this year. Panther Games is one guy in Canberra, Australia who is slowly plugging away at the update between what seem to be regular health related issues. To his credit he updates his progress on the locknload forums at least once a month.

My beef with the Command Ops stuff is that I bought it twice already, and have no desire to buy it a third time…

I had Almovarid show up last week and ahead of that I am really getting back into Nevsky. I am working through a solo playthrough of Nevsky right now. After watching the Homo Ludens playthrough videos I feel like I have a much better grasp on the rules. I am not sure about the strategy at all just yet. Those Teutons come in pretty hard and I can see why the historical strategy of trying to meet them head on right away didn’t work out for Gavrilo of Pskov. So I was bringing Domash up form Novgorod but the Rus are still in a tough spot with inferior forces.

That is what has stopped me so far, plus it sounded like they were issues that needed to be worked out at one point with CO2.

@TheWombat do you have the Decision Games edition of Wacht am Rhein, or the original SPI? I’ve always had a bias that DG games are rather expensive for the physical production quality, I think perhaps unfairly, from a point at which I had War Between the States years ago. Watching a video of someone playing Atlantic Wall though it looks like maybe things have improved, or I was wrong to begin with.

At work we have a reward program where people can give you reward points that can be converted into gift cards and things, so someone just funded my Oregon Lamination 2.5mm clippers. I figured I will start with that, and pick up the 2.0mm later.

Neither, now. I had the original SPI game from, well, when it was new, but sold it along with my entire game collection many years ago.

This was an expensive post to read…

I’ve got the Field of Glory 2 Medieval - Complete and the final DLC for Fantasy General in my Slitherine cart. The PanzerCorps 2 DLC is in my Fanatical cart.

So far my defensive line has held at War in the East 2.

EDIT: I also got Warplan Pacific.

I rationalized the whole thing with a 2-year Slitherine anniversary coupon for an additional 8% that stacked with the sale.

I’m am so hopelessly addicted to WitE2, and there is so much there, that I regret buying a bunch of other games recently. I used to play WitE with a friend who is now passed, so I didn’t want to buy it because of that association, but I’m glad I did. I absolutely love it.

I was looking at some of the Steam reviews that slam the AI pretty hard. Any thoughts on the AI and those criticisms?

Ha, yeah the Kingdoms announcement pushed me to get the FOG:M bundle at 60% off too.

I’m hoping my trades reach Noble Knight Games before their spring sale ends. Got rid of some older things just sitting around, enough to scrape together a couple hundred bucks in store credit.

I’m no military genius, but I have been playing wargames off and on since Talonsoft’s East Front 2, and the Germans are giving me a run. I bumped the difficulty up a tiny bit, but not much. I think the AI is capable of ignoring a few rules regarding operating and AP, so they can use rail to move troops around for free? I’m not sure why you’d complain about the AI. I think it’s among the best I’ve played against.

And you can always play PBEM, which the game makes super easy. There is no actual emailing involved. You just hop onto their server, take your turn, and hit next. I played almost an entire game of SC3 World at War just recently with some dude. We both stayed up way too late and just passed turns back and forth, it was fun.

I think that those folks who slam the AI in WitE 2 are the .00001% who grog out on the game, and nothing but the game. For mere mortals, just figuring out how everything works provides plenty of challenge.

Oh! What are you going to get! I’m trying to save money by shopping vicariously through others.

Interesting, thank you both!