Grognard Wargamer Thread!

This looks like the McLaughlin reprint version. Nice…

McLaughlin is working on the project.

Thread discussing it here.

I like these kinds of articles

That is an excellent article. I sent it to my brother-in-law who does not play games but he toured the Normandy battlefields a couple of years ago and I think he would find this interesting. Thanks for posting this

Chase of the Bismarck in the house. First time to play with a Vuca Sims game, the production quality is amazing.

I have a couple of 2-player games lined up to play, really looking forward to this one. Double-blind system is taking me back to the old Midway game from Avalon Hill.

I’m considering trying a solitaire board game. If I’m interested in the Battle of Britain and I do not want to play as the Axis and I want a game that I can obtain by late November, what might you all recommend? Or the Pacific Theater WWII is another option, again playing as the Allies only, please.

Thank you

I would vote for RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940

Also, Skies above Britain is probably shipping mid-October, according to GMT’s latest update.

And one more…
I haven’t played 8th Air Force yet, but I played Save: South Vietnam from the same publisher, and really enjoyed the Vietnam game. Both games use a similar foundational game system. I’ve heard good things about 8th Air Force too.

There’s D Day at Peleliu which Tom talks about here Qt3 Games Podcast: 'tis the season, part 1 - Quarter to Three

RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 looks good. Good enough that I’m going to watch a YouTube let’s play from the Rough Swordsman Wargamer who calls it a “Cracking good wargame.” He is playing the deluxe edition.

Thanks Zilla_Blitz

Great! I’d be curious to hear how you like it if you do decide to go forward with it. It’s on my Shelf of Opportunity. :)

In my efforts to play more games with real human beings, I’ve started playing some games on Rally the Troops. If anyone would like a game of The Shores of Tripoli (I’m probably a mediocre player) or 300 (total newb), I’d be happy to play.

The platform has a growing collection of wargames available for asynchronous play. Free and easy to play. I think the hope is that if you play a game a good bit, you’ll pick up the real version.

A Con dedicated solely to gaming WW3, in Bellevue, WA next year:

https://www.gameon-con.com/ww3con

Im on Rally the Troops. Currently I’m only playing async Wilderness War but i do love it’s other implementations. It did get me to pick up the physical version of 300. I really love the presentation. Im also fascinated with the gameplay of 300. Every single decision is absolutely critical. Shores of Tripoli is similar and another great game there. I have not yet picked up the physical version but my experiences have me leaning that direction. I’ve been happy to hear that Nevsky is next up and can’t wait to try that out.

Nice! Yes, Nevsky is next and I think it’ll be fabulous to play on the platform. The Vassal mod for Nevsky is great too, but the streamlined assistance on the Rally the Troops platform just makes things so smooth to play.

I’m hoping to expand to other games too, but with so much going on I don’t want to spread myself too thin.

Let me know if you’d like to try 300 sometime. I’ve got one learning game under my belt as the Persians, barely know what I’m doing. :)

After watching 1 1/2 let’s play sessions from the Rough Swordsman Wargamer I think John Butterfield’s RAF is a game for me for those long Maine winter nights. So an Amazon order has been placed.

Is counter corner clipping merely an aesthetic matter or is there some practical value to doing that?

I’ll post some impressions come wintah!

I find clipping mostly aesthetic but it does get rid of any pesky sprues or whatever on the corner that can keep a stack from not stacking perfectly or corner grub snagging the counter underneath when picking up.

Oooh, this should be good :)

I’d say mostly aesthetic, but depending on how the die cut the counters it can help with them stacking. I think it might just help in general with making things neat on the map having those extra little edges to hold. Maybe it is just that people that take the time to clip, also are more ocd about having neat stacks. :)

I wish the Oregon Laminations tools had a way to adjust the height of the slot. Some games, it is such a tight fit or won’t fit at all.

I have always viewed counter clipping as a waste of perfectly good gaming time.

Talk about throwing gas on the fire!

I don’t think there is much practical value to it, but now that I’ve started clipping counters I think I would go insane playing unclipped. It’s debatable whether my sanity has practical value.