Grounded - Honey, I Shrunk the Kids by Obsidian

spear does massive damage when thrown fwiw, probably 4x normal damage or more.

In my experience it does massive damage to the ground.

Are there a lot of spots like this? I tend to use that strat early on in other survival games like ARK, and it works well despite feeling cheesy.

I am unsure how difficult the other places are to reach for monsters, but yeah - building high is definitely an option.

Just not on the Baseball- Thats mine, and you cant have it!

I started yesterday night, and it made me wish the onboarding experience was more like Subnautica. I think unlocked 37 recipes in the first hour!

Getting one hit killed by Wolf Spiders 30 minutes into the game is making this more like Gothic and less Honey i Shrunk the Kids.

I think I like this game, but it’s strange. Reminds me of Green Hell. Surprisingly little handholding or direction. I went to the hedge but it’s locked. Wandered around for awhile tiptoeing around sleeping spiders. Broke a spinny thing. I guess I’ll try crafting more stuff.

Explore the other end of the Hedge.

That was my experience as well for a time - You learn to avoid them, and can kill them later, preferably from heights. But, I usually avoid them now, or just run if they see me, and that works fine. Just don’t think you can figth them head-on, I’d say :-)

How much have you played? If I remember correctly, back in EA, they added bees and The Crow specifically to deter this sort of anti-social behavior. If you’re up there a lot, you may have unwanted visitors from the air…

I’ve been there a lot - played…10-15 hours or so this time, and no crows, and the only bees I’ve seen, are the ones I’ve shot at to draw them myself.

LOL at “anti-social” :-D I did not know I was being anti-social towards the insects 😂

I killed an orb weaver but I suspect that it was one of the juniors. I added aphid shoes so I will be able to book it in event of a wolf spider!

The crow doesn’t interact with players. Bees are neutral unless they’ve been angered (by anything), but they don’t live near the baseball. It’s a popular first base location for new players, but the reprisal attacks I’ve seen are infrequent and fairly mild anyway.

I am unimaginative and just plopped down a few gadgets on the ground around the initial research machine. It doesn’t seem an area patrolled by enemies so it’s ok?

That’s what I did too. Then I surrounded it with a wall, chopped down all the grass inside the wall, and added some doors on the path.

I’ve died to a Wolf spider at the first Analyzer station. I then respawned at the Kid Case and returned to watch the Wolf pull the defensive bait items out of my backpack and eat them, much to my surprise.

When I last played in the early access my first base location was the high ground just above the first analyzer, top of the slope going up from the “strange machine”. Seemed very safe.

So I finally start this for real. At least in single player mode. Should I be playing this in single player mode? Or multiplayer? Not sure what I’m doing at all, is that OK?

Am I supposed to know why I’m shrunk yet?

Single seems fine. No, you don’t know why you’ve been shrunk yet. Not knowing what to do is part of the fun!

You can convert any single olayer game to multiplayer and vice versa. So cool.