GTA 4 PC Impressions

Hopefully, one day we will all look back at this DRM madness and laugh about it the way we laugh about code wheels now.

Thank you for your pre-order of GTA 10 and Starcraft 2: Zerg Campaign. Please wait while your SecureSubDermal is updated…

Ok.
So, what the motherfucking hell happened to the $39.99 price point mentioned when the game was “officially” announced for the PC?

As for the other shit about not being able to get it to run on apparently any PC currently in existence?
Just completely fucking awesome.

Those who fail to learn from past mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Hey Rockstar, “future proofing” a game didn’t work out so well for Crytek, so why in the fuck did you think it’d be a good idea for GTA IV?
Idiots.

This. Even angry arseholes are right sometimes.

For fucking fuck’s sake, when did it become reasonable in home computing to require a user to run not one, but two (or even three if you include Steam) separate applications to run another application? Drivers and OS don’t count. And all this is before you even consider the DRM in place. And the requirement for the disc in the drive. Oh, and the performance issues, the graphical glitches, the game-enhancing copy protection systems.

Christ in pyjamas, I am a colossal GTA fanboy and up until a week ago, GTA4PC was a guaranteed sale from me, but I’m not going anywhere near this clusterfuck until somebody in a suit sorts it right the fuck out.

Hope R* wont rape the DLC for 360 like they did with the PC release

That reminds me, anybody have an extra copy of Strike Commander laying around? I think machines might actually be powerful enough to run it now.

• Alan

Listening to some of the GTA IV apologists (non PC gamers) talk about how we’re all a bunch of whiners who can’t run the game on our 1000 dollar rigs (because PC gaming is d0med) and how we expect to run the game on insane resolutions (1680x1050 omg!) with high textures is ‘unreasonable’ just makes me sick.

The console crowd sure is loving this. They’re using it as an example of how PC gamers need to upgrade their PCs to play a game that can run on their obviously superior Playbox 360station.

Funny, I was just reading through this thread thinking that somehow we’ve looped back around to Origin’s way of doing business.

Not in DOSBox. :)

1) Quality. Games for Windows branded titles undergo extensive testing, and not just by the publisher. Microsoft also invests in quality checking each title to ensure they meet performance and reliability standards.

1. Compatibility. Games for Windows branded titles work on Windows XP and Windows Vista based PCs, including both 32 and 64 bit editions. Games for Windows titles that support controllers are also compatible with the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller for Windows, including the XBOX 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. They even support widescreen resolutions and more.

2. Safety features. You can be confident that any title carrying the Games for Windows brand will support the new parental controls and family settings features in Windows Vista.

3. Easy to Play. Games for Windows branded titles are easy to install, find and remove, especially in Windows Vista. Every Games for Windows title appears in the new Windows Vista Games Explorer (no more hunting around the start menu for that game you just installed). And Games for Windows branded titles all offer some form of “easy install”, putting you in the game more quickly.

Why are these important? Because Games for Windows is all about letting you focus on the FUN.

ROFLMAO.

Emphasis mine.
So, this means anyone that is having trouble getting GTA IV to run can in fact sue not just Take 2 Interactive and whoever ported it but Microsoft as well.
Sweet.
I wasn’t going to buy a copy, but now I think I will just so I can sue the fuckers.
Who’s with me?
Class action time!!!
What else we got?
That’s right, FALSE ADVERTISING.
Slam dunk.

Um, sorry to burst your lawsuit bubble, Sansker, but I’m running it just fine (albeit somewhat choppy) on Vista 64.

Just tryin to stir up some shit so they get off their asses and make it workable in short order.
This crap where, oh, say EA with their “ha ha, we have your money and you have a disc key with only 25/26 numbers letters and we’ll get right on that within a day or 2” is unacceptable.

I’m hoping to high hell that this idiocy is reflected in the review score for GTA IV.

The one time a company actually decides to do the “right” thing and instead of a shitty direct port, they optimize it for PCs. (which don’t actually exist yet)
So, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I’ve been playing the game and I don’t like the new wanted system. I’ve noticed that even at 1 star its impossible to run away from the cops and if you keep running you keep gaining stars.

Don’t keep running away. Just get out of the wanted circle, stop your car and stay quiet.

Heh, yeah, once you’re outside the circle just act normal (obey the law) and the stars will go away in a few seconds.

If you happen to find a Pay and Spray make sure the cops don’t see you use it, because then it won’t work.

Hmm, this is how it worked in GTA and GTA 2.

Cheesypoof, of all people, is well aware of that.

So I just finished my download off Steam.
While it was downloading, I updated my .Net Framework to 3.5 SP1.
I also make sure I installed the latest Games for Windows Live (version 2 I think)
Didn’t have to reboot or anything.

I created a Social Club id by going to Rockstar website using browser. I linked to my Games for Windows Live id (I had this one create a month ago when I bought Fallout 3)
When Steam finished, I launched GTA4, it installed the C++ redistributable, it attempted to update Social Club, it asked me to enter my Social Club id and that’s it. It didn’t install GfW Live or .Net, maybe because I already installed it. Once all these was done, the game launched! Just as simple as that.

My experience with the installation is smooth as a silk. I didn’t get any installation error messages or anything. Of course I am more prepared because of the stuff I read in the Net.
I am using a 2GB RAM, Core 2 Quad, Windows Vista SP1 machine. Have a 9800GTX using nvidia 180.48 driver.

Will post impression of the games later.