GTA influence in unlikely (likely) places?!?

Read some previews for Spiderman 2 and Tony Hawk Underground… first off Spiderman 2 will be cool if it actually does have GTA gameplay as you see crimes happen as you just websling around town… it could rock! However Tony Hawk Underground just sounds dumb. YAY! Lets skateboard for the mafia! sheesh…well… maybe itll be cool maybe not… who the hell knows. Well at least developers (and publsihers?!) are starting to see that freeform is a viable alternative to sell games… I like that. Hope it continues.

etc

The new SSX is supposed to be open ended, too.

I like this trend.

“YAY! Lets skateboard for the mafia! sheesh…well… maybe itll be cool maybe not… who the hell knows.”

Maybe they will also give the player a gun since your doing Mafia work. So you can grind down a railing and blow people away at the same time.

Actually that sounds like something they could put in the next GTA game.

They really need to go that route for the next Batman game, too. It seems like such a no-brainer – Who wouldn’t want to tool around Gotham in the Batmobile (or Batcopter, or Batcycle) looking for crimes to thwart? Throw in stealth, some bullet-time, and all the little gadgets, and you’ve got the recipe for the perfect vigilante game.

There’s no need to beg for GTA clones, they’ll come soon enough.

The latest previews of the Xbox Crimson Skies game are leaning the same way- you fly around big, open-style hub levels, accepting missions from other planes and people that call you on the radio, and then go fly them. Or something like that.

It sounded good to me, but now I’m a bit bugged since I saw a video shere they showed off the plane soing ‘special maneuvers’ like loops and stuff- which seem to be executed merely by tapping a direction on the d-pad. That seems pretty annoying. Would it really be that inaccessable to just translate the gameplay of the original, with the open-ended thing added in instead of just linear missions? I don’t think so, I’m playing through the aforementioned original with the xbox controller right now (sans a few buttons, like the triggers and one of the analog sticks), and I think it plays beautifully. If they dumb-down the gameplay of this to Mechassault levels, I’m gonna be dissapointed- don’t get me wrong MA was fun and all, but I want something a bit more substantial for this. :(

I’m still waiting for a ‘Hunter’ type game with GTA’s open-endedness. Closest I can get is making all the police and army vehicles weightless so they can’t chase me, and then having all the citizens attack me. Other than that the police will just run you down :(

I read those GI Spiderman 2 and THUG (Tony Hawk’s UnderGround!) previews too, and also like the idea of GTA-style open endedness in Spiderman. And I also cannot see how any of the changes they are making to Tony Hawk can be fun. The main things that they are changing are:

1. Driving missions!!!
  2. You can get off your board and …run around with it!!!
  3. CUTSCENES CUTSCENES CUTSCENES!!!

Well, there are also cool changes like expanding the editor capabilities, and allowing texture map uploads so you can put your face on your skater. An interesting point about the upload capability and why they are only supporting the online component for PS2 is that they don’t want to deal with MS as a content censor, since MS holds such strict control over the Live! network.
None of these

I’m looking forward to the next Tony Hawk. Never could get into the previous ones, but open endedness and a good story will significantly up the appeal for me.

I’m surprised that an open ended Star Wars action game hasn’t been made yet. How cool would it be to pilot tons of different land/sea/air SW vehicles accross several different planets? You could hop out of your vehicle and lightsaber some stuff, too. It would be seamless and the whole experience would be dynamic. You know, take on scripted and random missions, go exploring, etc, etc. It would be really great.

I think open endedness can work for almost any genre.

With his kid-centric approach to SW these days I’m sure Lucas would not allow it, but can you imagine the huge sales numbers for GTA: Mos Eisley? You could almost just swap in SW graphics & names. Instead of a mob boss, you have a Hutt, Imperials for cops, etc…

Lucasarts has tried importing various game concepts into the SW universe, but there is always the risk of ending up with another Force Commander. I think Republic Commando has potential, though, looking to me like Rainbow Six: Star Wars.

I want a GTA style open city for a Thief game. A large, populated, fully traversible medieval city where you can ply your trade by pickpocketing peasants or robbing homes, taking assassination jobs, working your way through Thieves Guild missions, committing arson, blackmailing, planting evidence - but all with the same stealth gameplay of the Thief series.

I don’t think Thief III’s planning on being that ambitious, and I guess that’s okay - but games like GTA3/VC, BF1942, and now (from what we’ve seen) HL2 are really pushing our expectations of what developers can and ought to be able to put together.

The next Rogue Squadron game, Rebel Strike, on Gamecube only will have lots of seamless jumping from on foot to vehicles. The entire Hoth battle sequence revolves around it apparently. You’ll be able to fly a snowspeeder, crash it, hop out, rappel up underneath an AT-AT just like Luke did, toss in the grenade, drop and watch it go boom. Then you can go hop on a Tauntaun and ride off into the sunset.

You’ll also be able to play through Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader with a buddy in co-op. That’s just icing on the cake.

–Dave

The next Rogue Squadron game, Rebel Strike, on Gamecube only will have lots of seamless jumping from on foot to vehicles. The entire Hoth battle sequence revolves around it apparently. You’ll be able to fly a snowspeeder, crash it, hop out, rappel up underneath an AT-AT just like Luke did, toss in the grenade, drop and watch it go boom. Then you can go hop on a Tauntaun and ride off into the sunset.
[/quote]

If it turns out to be truly seamless (switch between vehicles at will) and not Clone Wars “seamless” (technically there weren’t any load times between the vehicle switches, but you are quite limited to your current vehicle), then I’ll be one happy camper. Hopefully it won’t be as difficult as RL as well.

I want a GTA style open city for a Thief game. A large, populated, fully traversible medieval city where you can ply your trade by pickpocketing peasants or robbing homes, taking assassination jobs, working your way through Thieves Guild missions, committing arson, blackmailing, planting evidence - but all with the same stealth gameplay of the Thief series.

I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago (before LG closed) in which the developers were talking about just such a thing for T3. From the previews I’ve read it doesn’t look like that’s how it’s actually ending up, but perhaps Eidos will let them have a bit more free reign if the current title sells well. :)

The Bush administration’s foreign policy is heavily influenced by Grand Theft Auto.

It was a post that one of the guys from LG posted on TTLG boards just after the company got killed - they had wanted to do an entire campaign to Thief 3 where you could just run around the city. And yes, unfortunately it doesn’t look like that’s how it’s gonna end up.