GTA Online from GTA5 makes $66 million

GTA Online is the multiplayer online portion of GTA V. Rockstar/Take-Two sells in-game money packs for real-world cash. I didn’t think many people used them because Rockstar held off on letting people buy them for the first two weeks to work out some connectivity kinks, in-game items are still tied to your level, just about every player got $500k for free due to the launch issues, and finally because buying in-game money with real money seem nutty.

I just got schooled.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/take-two-we-don-t-need-to-release-gta-yearly/0128257

“We’ve talked about recurrent consumer spending, where we have offerings where fans can engage and spend money on an on-going basis.”

“With GTA V, we have sold 32.5m units in to date, which is extraordinary. 70 per cent of people that have played GTA V while online have played GTA Online, which is a free-to-play experience. And recurrent consumer spending related to GTA Online represented nearly half of our digitally delivered revenue in the quarter. So people are voting that they want to stay engaged and they are voting with their wallets.”

“Non-GAAP net revenue from digitally-delivered content grew 42% year-over-year to $132.8 million, driven by the Grand Theft Auto series”

There’s one born every minute, or so I’m told.

To be fair, that’s chump change compared to actual GTA V sales, or indeed EA’s DLC revenues from the likes of FIFA Ultimate Team. But, even so, it is a lot of money for consumables in what by all accounts is a pretty broken experience.

What’s EA DLC revenues from FIFA Ultimate Team? Just curious.

I’d love to know, but past reporting from EA lumps it all into “digital transactions” and doesn’t specify.

As for this, yeah $66 million is probably chump change compared to other micro/macrotransaction revenue, but I think this is really outstanding. It’s $66 million in three months for what it is essentially money to buy clothing and car mods. Even after giving everyone $500k for free. That’s nuts.

I’d love to know, but past reporting from EA lumps it all into “digital transactions” and doesn’t specify.

Precise numbers for FIFA Ultimate Team alone are hard to come by, but last time I looked into this, they said $275m of “digital revenue” for FIFA 13 (as of July 2013). That included online sales of the game itself, but I suspect those aren’t all that much, given the mass market console audience and huge retail presence. In their results around that time, they said $410m of overall “service” (DLC and subs as opposed to game sales) digital revenue in the quarter up to June 2013, "“primarily driven by FIFA 13 Ultimate Team and SimCity, as well as Battlefield 3 Premium subscriptions”. And in their most recent results they said $213m of “extra content sales”, including Ultimate Team, during the quarter, double the amount of full game sales. So I think it’s fairly safe to say it’s on the order of $100m a quarter at least.

Well, we finally have a firm figure for EA’s Ultimate Team.

$650 million annually for Madden and FIFA Ultimate Team revenue!

Wonder how many of those FIFA numbers are from accounts that were later on hacked :)