GTA3 question

Fuzzy, don’t you remember:

“NEVER get out of the car.”

Gravy, did you miss the golf carts on the golf course?

In VC on the PS2 the submachine guns will lock on to targets so I used them to the exclusion of all other weapons when possible. In SA all the weapons lock except when you are zoomed in so it made it much easier. Still they all do look significantly better on the PC (I have finished all of them on both systems) and the keyboard mouse is obviously better for aiming even though in SA they pretty much fixed that issue. The one area where the controller does rule is the flying of helicopters and planes.

– Xaroc

I think I had to exit vehicles to take new missions. I think.

Good catch, Special K. I actually saw 'em, surprisingly enough.

I was the guy trying my damnedest to get up enough speed to drive the golf cart up the stairs to where they were on the driving range so I wouldn’t have to try to fight in on-foot mode. No dice. So I had to get outta the cart and took a couple bodyguards with the saw, but the others just ran up behind me an pushed me down a bunch of times like I was a four-year-old whose lollipop they wanted. While the guy I was suppoosed to be sawing or 4-ironing was actually ESCAPING IN THE GOLF CART THAT I HAD LEFT WHEN I COULDN’T GET IT UP THE STAIRS. So it sort of came full circle.

I know the whole reason I’m pissed off is because I’m such a two-left-thumbs-having retard I can’t work the controller well enough to cause reasonable carnage. But I’m too pissed off to be rational.

Back in the day, I was top pops with the Atari 2600 joystick-and-single-button array. I was good at Mario on the NES and SNES. Hell, I’ve even scored over a million on levels in Tony Hawk 3 on the original PS. But for some reason, I just CAN’T play GTA’s third-person action sequences without a keyboard and mouse.

Does a keyboard/mouse actually make the out-of-car parts playable? I certainly got pushed down my fair share, on that mission and others. Thankfully they would just stand there waiting for me to get up, rather than pumping my supine carcass full of lead.

An easier way to do the golf mission is to get a truck and back it up against the fence, then just jump over the fence. That way you come into the mission with all your guns, which makes taking your target out from a distance a piece of cake.

Okay, sadly, I’ma haveta quit this one.

I’m about 20 or so missions in, and this piece of shit Vice City just is not fun. I think there’s been like two decent missions that were worth a damn so far, all the others have been strange, unrelated, shoulda-been-a-minigame things like speedboat jumping, RC helicopter flying (which I actually enjoyed), or fucking bullshit you-stand-on-this-balcony-or-sit-in-the-backseat-and-shoot-guys-as-we-drive-by missions. But mostly, they’re those sand-poundingly stupid and poorly executed gunfight sequences. CONSTANTLY.

Why they don’t focus on the game’s strengths is beyond me. The music is top-notch. The driving is great. The car-to-car combat crash-up-derby action sequences are the absolute end-all dope. But here’s the catch. You have to be in the car to enjoy any of those.

Conversely, the characters in the game are forgettable. The storyline, generic. The script reads like shitty fanfic. Pretty much everything you do on foot is crappy - most the buildings are scaled poorly, the camera and controls are shit, and the gunfights are abominable. Why do you idiots at Rockstar force the advancement of the game through missions that highlight the game’s weakest points?

I know they can develop however they want; it’s just frustrating to me that the aspects of the game that are so shitty are the ones that they chose to force the player into to advance the story, while pretty much neglecting the game’s considerable strengths.
Guess I’ll just have to try San Andreas and hope for the best.

Gamepad is a “must” for the motorcycle.

OMG- They slightly improve the controls again in San Andreas, but to make up for the gunfights being better they introduce a number of bafflingly difficult flying missions. So yay!