GTA4 Post-Story Debrief: Which Choices Did You Make? (spoilers, duh!)

As I’m running around Liberty City after having finished the story, it’s nice to hear the news reports on some loose ends. The resolution of the lost diamonds was pretty funny. It was a bit disconcerting to hear the typically cavalier Weazel news report about Kate’s death.

There are a few unsettling random stranger encounters that – as far as I can tell – don’t allow any choices. But some of them still seem to be playing out even though the main storyline is over. That’s pretty cool.

And now I’m curious what I missed. So what did you guys do in the following situations, and what was the effect?

* Did you kill the man Vlad sent you to kill?

I let him live. No idea what comes of it, but I suspect he becomes a random stranger quest.

* Did you kill Dwayne’s girlfriend?

I let her live. She definitely becomes at least one random stranger quest.

* Did you kill the man in the projects Francis McCreary sent you to kill?

I actually killed him. And I know it’s silly, but for lack of a better reason, I did it for Kate. I figured I’d do whatever Francis wanted me to do to get in as good as I could with the Kate storyline. Did anyone let him live? What happened?

* Did you kill Playboy X or Dwayne?

Someone – Chuck Jordan or Hudson, I think? – was railing about this one in another thread. I killed Playboy X simply because I felt sorry for Dwayne. The guy is such a mopey sad sack, especially as the game goes on. He becomes a friend who will provide two back-up dudes. You also get to move into Playboy X’s safehouse (which has the nicest TV set, BTW).

So what happens if you kill Dwayne? Does Playboy X become a buddy? What does he give you? And if he doesn’t become a buddy, does that mean you can’t get the “Liberty City (5)” Achievement for getting all five friends to 95% liking you?

* Did you kill Francis McCreary or Derrick McCreary?

This is the one that really tripped me up. Since I’d decided I wanted to get in good with Kate – way to set up a really effective emotional manipulation, Rockstar! – I first tried to kill them both. Unfortunately, this triggered a fail state.

So I opted to kill Derrick, who seemed more destructive to the McCreary family. Plus, it seems obvious that as a cop, Francis has more to offer Niko. As a result, I got Francis’ bonus, which is to shut off your wanted level. Uh, thanks, but I’ve already got Kiki on that one, Francis. What really surprised me was all the specific dialog and references to Derrick being dead, his past, his heroin addiction, and so on.

Does the game play out the same way if you kill Francis? Is the funeral mission the same, with the shoot out and then the hearse trip (I like that the hearse is called a “Romero”!)? Does Derrick provide you with any bonus? Is there a lot of dialog about Francis being dead?

* Did you kill Draco Brevic?

I really liked this scene, and that it was played out against a pathetic little man under the noise of the airport. But I hated that it was swallowed up by all the stupid Italian mafioso junk. It felt like a footnote more than anything else. Which is maybe appropriate.

I let him live. Personally, I really wanted the game – and therefore Niko – to somehow transcend all the immorality and wanton violence. I wanted to see where it would go if Niko acknowledged that killing wasn’t a solution. There was some nice enough moralizing and redemption talk at that point. Okay, I’ll take what I can get. So what happens if you kill Brevic?

* Did you opt for money or revenge in the end?

Well, since I wanted to follow the Kate storyline to its best ending, hoping for a “happily ever after” for Niko, I opted for revenge, which seemed a bit weird, but it’s what Kate wanted. The result was a mission that would have been a lot more annoying if I wasn’t so tickled to see it was set on the ship from the opening of the game.

You have to shoot your way onto the ship, work your way up to the bride to open the cargo doors, then fight your way down into the hold to reach Dmitri. After shooting through about fifty or sixty henchmen, you kill Dmitri.

So what happens if you opt for money? Is it a different mission?

Looking forward to hearing what you guys did.

-Tom

Is GTAIV worth replaying for the differnt conclusions? I like that it seems to have so many decisions to make.

That’s part of what I’m wondering, Mordrak. My impression is that despite the choices I made, I didn’t have any control over how it ended. It seems the major choices varied the story progression a little, but didn’t change anything substantive.

I’d love to be wrong.

-Tom

P.S. Even if GTA4 isn’t worth replaying for a different conclusion, there’s always the “Finish in under 30 hours” Achievement. :)

I let him live. He becomes a random encounter, and during it he says he’s got a gun now and aint gonna beg ever again, and attacks you. You gun him down and it’s over.

Does the game play out the same way if you kill Francis? Is the funeral mission the same, with the shoot out and then the hearse trip (I like that the hearse is called a “Romero”!)? Does Derrick provide you with any bonus? Is there a lot of dialog about Francis being dead?

I killed Francis because I was sick of him threatening to blackmail me. The story seems to play out about the same, same funeral sequence. No bonus from Derrick, but that’s ok. I really felt that Francis was the dick of the bunch, and I’m glad I killed him.

Otherwise, Tom, I made all the same decisions you did. But not for Kate. I didn’t really like her. I much preferred Michelle. I’m going to try that online dating thing, now.

Kate’s death? She didn’t die in my game, at least not yet. I bet it is tied into the money or revenge thing.

* Did you kill the man Vlad sent you to kill?

Let him live. Just felt like the right thing to do.

* Did you kill Dwayne’s girlfriend?

Killed her. It was kind of a crap I need to go kill that other guy running away decision rather than a conscious choice.

[B]* Did you kill the man in the projects Francis McCreary sent you to kill?

[/B]I think I had to do that mission 2x and I was pissed by the time I got to him and offed him.

* Did you kill Playboy X or Dwayne?

Playboy X, I liked him even but I felt sorry for Dwayne being cut out of the action etc.

Francis without question. Francis was a dick and kept threatening me. I didn’t like Derrick much but he seemed more a victim of his circumstances than Francis.

[B]* Did you kill Draco Brevic?

[/B]No, I let him live. I couldn’t bring myself to kill him because I figured that was the best choice for Niko and killing him wouldn’t have solved anything.

* Did you opt for money or revenge in the end?

I took the money for the achievement. I was at like 440k with no prospect of getting to 500k otherwise. You end up getting betrayed by Demetri again and have to shoot your way through a bunch of guys in a boat yard then chase down the guy with the money from a drug deal gone bad. As a result Kate doesn’t go with you to the wedding because she is pissed at you. I am assuming that she gets shot instead of Roman when that guy tries to off you. Kate calls you after everything is done and wants to see you again so the good Kate ending seems to be the piss her off one.

So is there a choice for one of the guys the UL Player sends you after? I thought it was bugged as I got to the last guy and it was flashing green and red but there was never any dialogue so I just killed him.

What sucks is apparently to get an achievement you have to let them all live so you can have random encounters with them later it looks like.

At least now I know so I can save the random encounter achievement for after my 30 hour run.

You could have easily gotten the money, Xaroc, if you still had the car gathering missions to do. I haven’t done all of them, but I’m guessing there’s easily $150,000 to $200,000 there. Also, I’ve only done a couple of assassinations, but those far enough along in the story progression that I imagine they must pay well, too.

Whoa, Roman dies at the wedding if you go the money route? That’s pretty heavy. Not to mention another great example of Rockstar manipulating the player. If you choose the Kate path, she gets killed. If you choose the Roman path, he gets killed. Pretty cool if that’s the case. With those phone calls leading up to the Dmitri mission, Rockstar basically asks you ‘Which character do you care about more?’ and then uses your answer against you.

Also, it looks like there are a couple of ways you can screw yourself out of the “Liberty City (5)” achievement.

-Tom

I had done the assassination missions but not the 30 text message car collection ones. You are right those probably would have put me over the top.

Whoa, Roman dies at the wedding if you go the money route? That’s pretty heavy. Not to mention another great example of Rockstar manipulating the player. If you choose the Kate path, she gets killed. If you choose the Roman path, he gets killed. Pretty cool if that’s the case. With those phone calls leading up to the Dmitri mission, Rockstar basically asks you ‘Which character do you care about more?’ and then uses your answer against you.

They did a really good job in a lot of circumstances making you really consider your decisions even though in this case they turned it back on you. That Darko moment was pretty powerful including the conversation afterwards with the radio off as you drive back.

Aw, fuck! I missed that conversation. I accidentally mashed the A button after Roman and I had gotten into a taxi. Roman just started talking as the taxi teleported us to the destination. I remember thinking that maybe I should reload and do the encounter again to hear the dialogue…

-Tom

Dead. Execution style.

[B]

• Did you kill Dwayne’s girlfriend?[/B]

Let her live, but boy did I have fun gunning down her other boyfriend.

[B]

• Did you kill the man in the projects Francis McCreary sent you to kill?[/B]

I let him live. I haven’t met him as a random friend appearance though.

[B]

• Did you kill Playboy X or Dwayne?[/B]

Dwayne, and I haven’t heard from that bastard Playboy X since. You get nothing, at all. Nothing. Worst choice in the game by far.

[B]

• Did you kill Francis McCreary or Derrick McCreary?[/B]

Derrick. There was no hesitation on my part. He was on a self destructive spiral of drugs and schizofrenia or whatever. Meanwhile, I don’t have Kiki, so I like the criminal level reduction benefit.

[B]

• Did you kill Draco Brevic?[/B]

Execution style. Wish I hadn’t in retrospect, because Niko gets all mopey.

[B]

• Did you opt for money or revenge in the end?[/B]

This is my strangest choice, as I did both. I did the money first, Roman was happy, and I didn’t get another quest immediately, I assumed the game was over, so I restarted from my last save and did the revenge. The revenge mission sucked, where as the Sell-out mission was somewhat fun.

Sucks what happens afterwards though.

This can’t be right. You really don’t get anything from Playboy X? You can’t unlock a friend bonus with him? You don’t get his place as a safehouse? Could there maybe be a quest chain you only get when you kill Dwayne?

Because otherwise, yeah, that seems like a really screwed up branching path.

-Tom

You get 25,000 dollars and no safehouse or friend bonus. It’s definitely the worst choice in the game.

Only choice that I’ve so far really regretted.

• Did you kill the man Vlad sent you to kill?

I got there and figured, might as well save him and see if that fails the mission.

• Did you kill Dwayne’s girlfriend?

No, I figured that he wouldn’t want that, if I was Dwayne I’d be even more pissed if some one killed my girl too.

• Did you kill the man in the projects Francis McCreary sent you to kill?

No, I was getting strange vibes from Francis so I decided to see if I could screw him over by letting hte guy live.

• Did you kill Playboy X or Dwayne?

Playboy X hands down no question for me the guy sold out his friend and became the greater of 2 evils, gotta clean the streets up.

• Did you kill Francis McCreary or Derrick McCreary?

Francis hands down, turned his back on his family, talked down to the others, threatened me into doing work for him. The mission at the funeral is still a shoot out, but the destination was different for where he was to get buried. Not to many people say they miss Francis doing activites with packie he doesn’t seem all that shaken up over losing francis as he left the family to become a stikn cop. There’s more talk of Gerry and katie then there is of Francis.

• Did you kill Draco Brevic?

Oh Lord yes with the pistol execution style, no good stinkin pile of waste. He sold the village, his friends, and prolly family out for a thousand him just admiting it was all I needed to hear to go through with killing him. There’s a long talk with roman on the way back about how Niko still feels nothing insided and roman tries to console him. Also Niko actually turns the radio off for the ride back so it’s totally quite, besides the sound of the cire tires on the road and other outside sounds.

• Did you opt for money or revenge in the end?

Revenge hands down, Dimitri had it coming for the longest time and oh man did it feel good to do him in. The final mission for the other guy though what a PITA. But he did kill Katie so you better belive I was hell bent on hunting him down and finishing that up too.

Side note, Xaroc, were you doing side missions and still only at 440 at the end? The text message car deliver missions net good amounts of cash each one dropped off.

Also anyone done with the main quest, or atleast the kidnap part, stroll past her house again aster the ordeal?

Even if Roman/Dwayne dies, you can still get the Liberty City 5 achievement. Remember, the description says:

After meeting all possible friends, the ones left alive all like you above 90%.

So you should be good.

Wow, that must be the easiest achievement ever. Just kill every one of your friends not over 90%.

• Did you kill the man Vlad sent you to kill?

I let him live. No idea what comes of it, but I suspect he becomes a random stranger quest.

Bluh? I’ve already finished the Vlad quest line so I had to check gamefaqs to see wtf you were talking about. It says the guy hanging off the roof you could choose to save. The game gave me no such option. I ran over to where he was and a cutscene played and he fell to his death with no input from me.

I haven’t actually got to any of these other choices yet as I’m still on the first island and can’t really muster up any desire to keep playing.

I haven’t finished the whole game yet, but I’m not worried about spoilerz.

The choice mechanic in this game weirds me out for some reason.

I let the first guy go (hanging from the crane). It seemed like the right thing to do. There are no choices to make like this for a while.

What strikes me as strange is why aren’t there more of these choices to be made. For example on the mission for Francis when you have to get the blackmail materials back from the lawer. I was expecting to have the choice of whether or not to kill him. I sat an listened to him for a while. He seems to be a real prick anyway, but I figure I owe nothing to Francis so why kill him? Cause you can’t get out of the room til you off him, that’s why. It made me think about Bioshock, why didn’t Francis ask me “Would you kindly kill the lawyer”. It irked me. It really seemed on rails at this point and totally out of my hands. The whole incident was a turning point for me in regards to my playing style. After I calmly walked out of the office and shot what had to be thirty armed guards to make my escape, only to be paid the paltry sum of $1000, I said fuck it and started my longest killing spree to date.

But this opened the game for me in a way I hadn’t even realized I’d been missing. There’s a lot of fun to be had blowing up 15 cars in the middle of times square.

I went to gracie’s house again. There was a cop car right outside, and their opening salvo got a good 2-star on them. I just went to the back of the house, let them slaughter the cops and get more cops on them, then waited for them all to die but one. went over, popped him with a shotgun, and lost my 1-star level.