Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

A new thread for a new movie directed by James Gunn. So we can stop dropping spoilers in the original thread.

-xtien

PLEASE NOTE: THIS MOVIE CAME OUT LAST WEEKEND, AND EVEN EARLIER IN GERMANY (if you can believe that), SO THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!

You have been warned.

Am I going to see this when it comes out in just over a week?

Yes, yes I am. (This post brought to you by the desire to track this thread)

Just found out my neighborhood theater will be showing this, so I can probably sneak out for a showing after the kids are asleep. Really stoked to see where this one goes.

Incidentally, I tried reading some of the comics and I just can’t get into it. Seems too insular maybe, just to deep in the weeds of all this other Marvel universe stuff that I can’t follow. The movies are way more my speed.

One thing i really appreaciate about this one is that it is blessedly free of any other MCU stuff. It’s just building on GotG 1. Even with an infinite number of post-credits stingers, it’s all about the movie you just watched.

I love the Marvel Universe as whole and can’t wait for them to combine, but I do want to spend more time with the guardians…I feel I barely know them so good to hear we get that the second time around.

The main criticism I keep reading is that it’s more of the same. Which is, honestly, quite fine by me. I don’t need novel, I got that with the first one. Now I’m just looking for more of that sweet, sweet GotG fix.

We saw it tonight and had a good time. It had more one liners and jokes and was more violent / graphic than the first movie (though it likely won’t send your children running away screaming). Baby Groot was also obviously adorable.

On the minus side, the story wasn’t as strong. And the soundtrack didn’t hit the same high notes for me.

That said, the 6 of us (aged 10 to mid 40ies) had a good time and enjoyed spending more time with the Guardians. Just don’t expect to be blown away like by the first one. The Guardians are a known quantity now.

Wendelius

Just one question - how was Kurt Russell?

He seemed to be having fun with the role and was equally fun to watch. I don’t know the comics so can’t judge how he compares to the original character.

But I don’t think it’s going to be a particularly memorable role.

I’d argue that “emotional rollercoaster” is right up there with “visually stunning”, but Guardians 2 definitely has you quickly switching between following some intense action, feeling sad about something, and laughing about some joke. The basic plot is rather predictable and not overly exciting, but the set pieces are well done and the script is so funny that it makes up for that. Could have done without a certain faction getting involved again in the action in the final act because it didn’t really add any tension or anything else of worth and - only movie runtime.

IMDB confirmed my suspicion that Peter’s grandparents and Jeff Goldblum’s character from Thor 3 very briefly show up.

That said, I’ll never get used to Marvel’s laziness with regards to having characters be fountains of exposition. It always annoys me - and Kurt Russell’s bit in the middle of the movie was no different.

$106 million opening weekend, and it hasn’t even come out in the US yet. Very nice!

Movie’s fun, it’s more Guardians of the Galaxy, and we all liked Guardians of the Galaxy…
Not really sure how the Guardians will work in the more serious universe of the Avengers, but I’m not a movie director, I trust Marvel.

Enjoyed it far more than i expected after reviews were quite mixed. Sure it didn’t break any new ground, but at the same time it did a good job at fleshing out the characters a little more and matching the previous films’ tone, which i much prefer to the self seriousness that has been prevalent in the rest of the MCU (Taiki Waititi will hopefully have something to say about this).

It could certainly have been a half an hour shorter, with the time spent on planet Freud in particular feeling overlong, but it was a fun ride overall.

Oh, and should Hollywood ever consider doing a movie reboot of Knight Rider, Chris Pratt is your man. Funnily enough, about two people out of three hundred in my German audience got the joke about David Hasselhoff’s disproportionate popularity over here.

I don’t know if I’d call 86% on RT “mixed” - I am guessing without reading any reviews, the biggest chunk of reviews complain about it being “more of the same” which is of course, exactly what most fans wanted to begin with.

I did not read any reviews and avoided the aggregators, but whenever i came across a headline about the movie, it would usually express mild disappointment. It probably enhanced my enjoyment of the film, since just like for the first one, i wasn’t expecting much and left very satisfied.

Definitely one of the weaker Marvel stories, but easily the most fun! Excited to see them in Infinity War

I think if you want the best modern Guardians comics you want to start with Annihilation or Annihiliation:Conquest by Abnett and Lanning and then read their Guardians of the Galaxy run. It’s basically the first appearance of the team that turned into the movie version, and it’s all off in space and completely disconnected from the main marvel universe.

Lots of fun. Probably going to see it a second time tomorrow, and looking forward to it.

Great visuals, love the characters and overall tone of the movie, but that plot really kind of sucked. Not sure if this is a spoilers thread, and it’s late and I’m tired, but I’ll go into more details tomorrow if time permits. My 9yo son didn’t care for it too much, some of the darker elements involving Ego’s actions upset him.

Edit: Just read the OP. For an ancient, fairly powerful being, Ego sure was stupid and not terribly powerful. You really felt the need to tell your son you killed his mother, and why did you do it? To get Peter away from her? The Ravagers still could’ve grabbed the kid, and once off-planet there’s not a thing she could do. And a massive cave of dead children bones wasn’t something I wanted out of a MCU movie. I like dark, I like movies today that have the balls to go with a dark ending, but Guardians should be fun. It really bothered my son seeing a dad go bad like that, which in turn bothered me that it upset him. So I’m probably being more negative because of that little chain reaction between the two of us. Great soundtrack though, Cat Stevens’ Father and Son was a perfect choice there at the end.

Edit 2: if the entire movie could’ve been like that opening shibboleth scene I would’ve loved it. Mr Blue Sky? Another great pick.

If you’re going to analyze Ego’s plan from the POV of “Does this make sense”, then yeah, you’re not going to enjoy it that much, the immortal, ageless creature couldn’t wait the minuscule amount of time it would take for a human woman to die of natural causes, etc. etc.