Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

They stood by their beliefs and the community’s message of inclusiveness. I wouldn’t consider that cowardly.

Bobcat Goldthwait has a pretty good response here.

Lots of support of James Gunn in the community.

I mean, that’s the reality Disney will have to deal with. Talented people sometimes say shitty things or make super-terrible tasteless jokes. It would be tough to find funny people that have never offended anyone in their past. I don’t envy their position.

Song of the South, anyone? Peter Pan (Indians and Tinkerbell)? Crows in Dumbo?

Disney’s closets aren’t exactly tidy…

What was wrong with Tinkerbell?

Not exactly a shining example of female representation.

I really just don’t remember enough about Disney’s Peter Pan to know what the problem was, so I’m not trying to dispute anything, but what do you mean? I remember she was sort of pouty, and she didn’t actual talk, right? Just flew around and sort of jingled? And got captured—was that the problem?

It’s not the strongest example, but she is a very male conceived version of the character. Sexualized, pouty, jealous. The racist stuff is way worse.

I think Disney’s “we would rather not have people on our payroll publicly known for making pedophilia and rape jokes” fits with their brand. I would argue that even in 1953, during Tinkerbell’s star turn, that strategy would’ve been true.

Small point of order, I’d say Tinkerbell is even more popular today, given she is the feature of a number of films and media that are still being made.

My son actually really likes the Tinkerbell movies, so I’m way too familiar with them. But he, and most of the kids his age I know, are familiar with Tinkerbell, but have no idea about Peter Pan.

Contemporary Tinkerbell is somewhat changed from the original. The basically removed the sexuality and made her something a kid would identify with I guess. My daughter also loved the new movies.

Somewhat related…

Has anyone bothered to tell him they aren’t actually gone?

Didn’t Gunn also delete his tweets?

Yes he did,

archive.org

In full here:

Awesome.

I mean, I don’t know what Disney does here, but it is very nice that the actors have his back on this one. I do hope Disney re-considers their extremely swift firing of James Gunn, but I wouldn’t put it past them to just never speak of it again.

I know that w/o James Gunn, this isn’t going to be on my list of “must watch” Marvel films, and I will have to wait for reviews.

Interesting, this Variety article appears to have been updated:

“Sources say there has been a growing feeling that Gunn could be reinstated, especially because Marvel and Disney have been unusually radio-silent on who could replace him since the firing.”