Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

So now we get James Gunn directing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 AND Suicide Squad 2?!? It’s a win-win! And all it cost was six months of stress!

Yeah, but that means Guardians 3 likely won’t hit until late 2022. The Suicide Squad is due for release in August 2021, and Gunn wont’ start on Guardians until after he finishes work on that. So I’d either expect holiday 2022 or April 2023 for Guardians 3.

That’s certainly how the article reads.

Especially as how it seems like the studio never made a serious effort to find a replacement.

Uh… we’re talking about a Suicide Squad sequel, right?

Only one way to go from the first one.

“Hold my beer!”

Sometimes, I think I’m the only person who liked Suicide Squad (actually, I think that most of the time).

I’m glad to see he’s back on GoG3 :) How does that movie fit the timeline, though? Is it set before Infinity War? After Endgame?

It’s entirely possible. But whether or not someone liked it, I think it’s an interesting concept, and James Gunn has a good track record of writing teams of unlikely anti-heroes.

It’s going to be set after Endgame. It’s just going to be Rocket flying around the universe, by himself, saying, “Boy I sure to miss those Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3!”

James Gunn has said that the story will provide an ending for the Guardians of the Galaxy series, and that the group, if it even exists, “will look very different moving forward.” That’s pretty open-ended, but yeah, definitely after Endgame.

Yeah it was always going to be after Endgame, even on the original schedule with a 2020 release.

Oh, wow. I had totally missed the Endgame trailer until seeing it in this thread.

Seems like this decision might have been made long ago, but wasn’t announced until the Fox deal was done to avoid additional press. Great news, which is positive in a lot of ways - I’d have been a lot less interested in the sequel otherwise.

Good news/bad news.

James Gunn is back. Yay!
Shooting isn’t going to start until 2020. Boo!

That means it looks like a late 2021 or even 2022 release. Super boo.

Then there are new additions to the cinematic universe such as Eternals , which will be led by Angelina Jolie and start shooting this year, and Shang-Chi , centered on an Asian hero yet to be cast that will shoot after Eternals . And Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is planned for a 2020 shoot — the current five stars are expected to reunite — with James Gunn back in the saddle as director. Adds one source: “With Marvel and with Kevin, there’s always a long game in play.”

That was to be expected since Gunn had committed to writing and directing Suicide Squad 2.

First tweet has a bunch of follow on posts from James Gunn, that aficionados might appreciate.