Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

When it comes to movies, books, and TV shows I kind of expect the threads to be discussing specific plot points, since that’s pretty much all there is to discuss (other than performances, visual effects, and etc. I suppose).

Game threads I expect there is more to talk about without spoiling experiences/moments, though.

At this point I put absolutely nothing past them. Howard the Duck showed up again for heaven’s sake! You’re probably right that they won’t amount to much, but I dunno… Marvel seems to hire talent like that with the intention of using it. It’s not like they can’t afford it given the box office of these films? It would certainly be fun to see more of them. :)

By the way, domestic box office this weekend was $145 million. (For reference, the first movie made $92 million on it’s opening weekend.) Worldwide total so far is $430 million.

[quote=“DaveLong, post:59, topic:129575, full:true”]
Awesome. Everyone started using spoiler text and I’m like, uh… my entire post is gonna be a spoiler.

Let it be known that from here down you’re gonna get SPOILT! :)[/quote]

As another Guy With Strong Opinions About Spoilers, I support this. During opening weekend I keep it vague or spoiler-tagged for people that maybe just want to pop in and get a feel for reactions, but it’s Monday now. Spoil spoil spoil!

Nothing set in stone yet, but Gunn is dropping strong hints that there’s a future for Stallone as Stakar. Depending on your reading of this comments, an entire movie of their own for Stakar’s crew wouldn’t seem out of the question. I mean, Stallone as a cameo? Sure. But Stallone, Ving Rhames, Michelle Yeoh, and Miley Cyrus? You don’t put that many relatively big names together without at least a potential plan for the team.

From Toronto Sun:

In the comics, Stakar, also known as Starhawk, is one of the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

“My plan is to see more of him,” director James Gunn tells the Sun. “I’m not sure about him appearing in Vol. 3, we’ll have to see about that, but it’s our plan to see more of Stallone. Kevin (Feige) and I are working on what is going to become of the Marvel Cosmic Universe and where it’s going to go. We plan to see the rest of them in the future.”

The “them” Gunn is referring to is the original Guardians crew, which includes Aleta Ogord (Michelle Yeoh), Charlie-27 (Ving Rhames), Krugarr (a CG character), the Miley Cyrus-voiced Mainframe, as well as Stallone’s Starhawk and Michael Rosenbaum’s Martinex. Michael Rooker’s Yondu was also once part of this crew.

The original team appears briefly near the end of Vol. 2.

Gunn has said that he will write and direct a third instalment of the Guardians franchise that will conclude the story of Star-Lord/Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper) and Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista).

“I think the first three movies tell a single story and that story is pretty simple,” Gunn says. “I think that there could be a Guardians Vol. 4, but it would not be the same. It would not be the same group… basically the story of this group ends with Vol. 3.”

Still, he will be involved in shaping Marvel’s cinematic future over the course of the next 10 years.

“I will be helping to plant the seeds that will lead to the next decade,” he says. “I’m helping to decide what projects we’ll be pursuing outside of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3… and what the next cosmic characters we will focus on.”

But Sly is a big part of that future.

“It’s my plan to have Sly — and I talked to him last night — to find a place for him in the future of the Marvel Universe.”

Maybe the bigger story there is it sounds like Gunn might be helping plot the course of a big chunk of the MCU in that big question-mark that is 2020 and beyond. I don’t know what we’re up to, is that Phase 5? 6? Phase-most-of-the-original-actors-are-gone?

Pretty much. I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel Studios pulls strategy from comics and does an MCU-wide “reboot” or something since a bunch of their actors’ contracts end at around the same time.

I’d be really surprised to see a full “continuity reboot”, which is the way most reboots seem to work in film (Nolan-verse to Shitty-DC-verse for example), but a bunch of little soft reboots along the lines of roles being passed down to successors—something Marvel has done a lot of in the comics recently—seems likely.

At least until all the characters are just digital likenesses they can recast with voice actors any time they feel like it.

Yeah, sorry, I should’ve specified. A Marvel-style “soft reboot” is likely. The straight-up reboot of everything is more of a DC thing.

You could just put “SPOILERS INSIDE” or something in the title and solve that problem.

I feel like in the movie thread, that’s a given. I never read movie or TV threads for a thing I haven’t seen yet, though.

But not everyone thinks as you do. Many people believe there is a window of time for not spoiling etc. I mentioned that title thing because it solves the problem by openly announcing that spoilers are fair game and quite honestly, its a simple courtesy for those who have different expectations than you, regarding spoilers. I guess the question is, since its really simple to do, requires no major effort at all and it solves the problem, why not do it?

I mean I’m the guy who is following the thread, but has not seen the movie yet. I knew what I was doing when I entered the thread. If I were the type to be super annoyed by spoilers (I’m not), then coming across them in the movie thread post release? That is on me.

I love listening to the podcast be have pretty much never seen the movie by the time it’s out. Also, I get a secret rebellious tickle out of not stopping the podcast when they say there will be spoilers and I should shut off the podcast. You’re not the boss of me Tom!

I don’t even understand why anyone with a spoiler issue would go into a thread for a narrative-heavy game, let alone a movie, show, or book. What do you think people are going to do in a discussion thread about that thing?

The only spoiler issue I have is if the thing under discussion is a production based on some other media, and someone comes in an drops story spoilers based on the earlier thing. Game of Thrones, being a great example.

Tell me whether or not they think the movie is worth seeing. It’s opening week after all.

OK. I’m looking back at the posts here and pretty much everyone gave their verdict of the movie along with whatever else they wanted to discuss. Does anyone expect people to post “I liked it” or “Thumbs down” and nothing else for the first week?

You asked a question. I answered it. I thought we had a ton of movie threads on here with a spoiler and non-spoiler version, especially the ones are chatted about for the length of the production.

We sometimes do. We also have threads for movies that are just that, and spoilers ahoy.

I’d have no problem with a thread being marked with a spoiler warning but this forum probably isn’t big or active enough to support two threads on any one movie. Maybe I’m wrong though?

So i did a little looking at the plan and I didn’t realize we’re going to get three more MCU films before we get to Infinity War. That’s cool!

These next three may not have much Thanos teasing though… which I’m ok with. Thor Ragnarok could have the most direct set up. Some folks think Hela could be set up in the same role as Death played in the comics with regard to Thanos and his reasons for wanting the Gauntlet. I like this as a way to tell that story…

Now that…is an excellent use of spoiler tags. Thank you, @DaveLong!

Look, I’m probably the most analest (as well as the most analyst) when it comes to movie spoilers. I’m the annoying guy at the party who puts his fingers in his ears and says “lalalalalala” and leaves the room. My friends largely put up with this, or act similarly…so I’m not too much of a pariah in this regard.

That’s why I don’t go into a discussion thread until I’m ready to see whatever is in that thread. And that’s why I started this thread, because I was tired of having to avoid the thread for the original movie as people kept dropping details about this movie without any regard for the fact that this movie is a totally different movie, dangit!

That said…

@rshetts makes a reasonable solution, and I’ll consider amending this practice in the future. I rarely start movie discussion threads except in circumstances like these (I did it for another sequel movie recently), but this seems reasonable.

-xtien

“I do not understand the intricacies of social interactions.”