Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Nah, that was perfectly set-up earlier when he first learned how to use the ‘light’ to form things. He commented that making that was his goal. :)

How did Rocky get into this one? I was like Holy shit this is going to be another Expendables with a bunch of old timers in it. Was he in the first one? If so, I totally missed it.

He was not in the first one.

Yeah, I remember that. I still thought it was just a wee bit too silly for that moment. Especially with the wakka-wakka sound effect.

It didn’t help that all I thought of was Pixels.

he specifically said that it wasn’t until the infinity stone was held by Peter that he had a reason to find him, and this took place shortly after the first movie.

Well he said he realized Peter was basically immortal which begs the question, why bother saving someone who is immortal It would be a totally different movie if he just let the Sovereign blow up the ship and the bothersome gnats hanging around his son so he could just, you know, pick up his son solo like.

That’s definitely his stated reason, which, if I were Peter, I would have found fishy after learning more about good ol’ dad.

Ego is super powerful and has unique resource/powers. Ego hired Yondu to pick up Peter. Peter was with Yondu the whole time. Yondu doesn’t seem to run all stealthy or anything. Result that should have been apparent to Peter: you only bothered to look for me once you thought I had power. Not the best dad story.

I get why Ego didn’t bother to look for Peter earlier (just one among another multitude of likely to be useless offspring), I’m a little annoyed that Peter rolled with the explanation that he was given.

I took “immortal” in the sense of Tolkien elf-style: will not die from age or disease. It’s not like Peter had a giant brain connected to a planet.

In case I’m coming off too negative (I really enjoyed the movie), kudos to them on the Yondu redemption/father storyline. I got a little teary eyed at the end there. That was Pixar-quality emotional manipulation for me.

I love little things in the telling of that, like Peter telling Yondu that Mary Poppins is really cool in a genuine way, which is something that you wouldn’t normally expect Peter to do. By doing that they convey the genuine affection that Peter has for Yondu, without being ham-handed. When your son tells you you’re a cool dude and he means it, that is some tear-jerking shit.

I really liked the way the movie used the bit about why Yondu kept Peter.

Peter says Yondu kept him around because he was “small and could fit into places they couldn’t get into” while bemoaning his childhood.

Yondu basically gives Rocket the same explanation, but says it in such a lame way that Rocket sees it’s bullshit. Rocket gives Yondu the side-eye and even lets out a snarky “uh-huh” to let him know he knows Yondu is just fooling himself.

Same here. I know I sound negative, but the movie really was enjoyable. I’d watch and enjoy it again. I just wish they had spent more time with the plot if they were going off the rails a bit like they did. Yondu was a highly worthwhile character here, and Mantis fell in nicely too.

I caught that, too, and I wanted to call out the effects guys for doing such a wonderful job with Rocket’s expressions in particular.

Lotta fun, but I was disappointed by one thing - Kurt Russell’s character never got a moment to shine in his full Krazy Kirby glory (except one fleeting blink-and-you’ll-miss-it shot.)

Fortunately it looks like Thor 3 is fully on the Krazy Kirby train. Irish elk Hela headgear or go home!

Hmm…watched this today, I didn’t really like it that much. My wife and I both came to the same conclusion, it felt like a filler. Just something to bridge the gap between the first one and the next one. Maybe my expectations were just too high though.

Still, I saw John Crichton in it and that made me happy.

I’m always interested in just how differently different people can feel when viewing the same thing. I liked it, can’t really decide if I like it more or less than the first. I have a few friends that liked it way more than the first movie, and one that didn’t care for it at all.

Downside is that it’s really hard to be fully objective even within your own subjective feelings when it comes to how things like expectations will affect your review. At first glance I think I liked Vol 1 more but then I realize a lot of that is because I didn’t know what to expect and the mix of outlandishness, humor and action really worked for me. All of that is here as well in the second. Obviously there is no wrong answer with opinions though, I’m just always curious of the reasoning behind different views.

Because they’re not “viewing the same thing”. Viewing is a “collaboration” between the piece and the viewer, between what’s in the screen and what’s in the viewer’s mind, and nobody “sees” exactly the same thing.

the experience is different, but they are in fact viewing the same thing. It’s semantics at that point, but I tend to get caught up on the definitions of words as well as their intended definition.

Debatable, viewing isn’t done with the eyes, it’s done with the brain.
Same as hearing. Are we hearing the same thing when a language only one of us understands is spoken?

But it is semantics, true, and as someone who doesn’t have English as his first language, I cede the ground. :D

One thing that I’m delightfully free from where the Marvel Super Hero movies are concerned is anything but cursory knowledge of the source material. Compared to something like Game of Thrones or maybe even Dune back in the day where I’m a big geek for ‘the book’ (was better). Or maybe it’s just different with comic books; they’re more free form, less tied down, eager to reinvent themselves.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy the Guardians ‘franchise’ they got going. Pure escape entertainment.

Next movie will have teen Groot? Can’t wait!

In either case the medium being viewed or heard does not change. So we are viewing and hearing the same thing. What is different is our perception of what we view or hear. So it is appropriate to say “We are viewing the same thing” , we are just seeing it differently.