Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

So I started watching this on Friday, and got through the prologue and the opening credits when I realized I had no idea who these people were, except Starlord and Groot. Who was the green lady? And the big gray and red guy? The racoon was familiar, of course, but what was his deal? I couldn’t remember any of it. I guess when I thought the first movie was good but didn’t leave a big impression, I didn’t imagine it left this little of an impression.

So I stopped the movie. This morning I saw the first movie again, and then this evening I watched the sequel. Phew! That was better. I was refreshed on all the characters, and that’s a pretty essential part of this movie.

I loved it. I thought it was way better than the first movie. Much better villain, more memorably moments for all the characters. Starlord’s father issues made for a much better story.

How is it that a viral video does with a lame Fleetwood Mac song what Guardians of the Galaxy 2 didn’t do with the awesomest Fleetwood Mac song?

-Tom

Excuse me, maybe I missed it but where is Landslide in that Guardians video?

What do Smashing Pumpkkns have to do with a conversation about Fleetwood Mac?

I guess I’m in the minority here but I just can’t re-watch this movie because the music is so fucking bad.

I can’t re-watch otherwise fantastic Deadpool stop-motion car roll-over scene for the same reason.

What would you prefer? Slipknot? Imagine Dragons?

Clearly, The Outfield.

-xtien

“Maximum effort.”

Yes45

Wait, what’s wrong with Outfield? :(

Clearly Starlord should be listening to Nickelback, or perhaps Staind.

I thought we were offering up better music. I love The Outfield. There, I said it!

I even put it on one of my kid’s music mixes and he loves it too. Which made me happy.

-xtien

“Come around and talk it over.”

Phew, okay. You said it right after someone said ‘Imagine Dragons’ so I took it the wrong way. ‘Say It Isn’t So’ is up there with my favorite track of all time.

I don’t think anyone has posted this yet, but this Lindsay Ellis video really made me appreicate GotG2 a lot more. I did not expect the conclusions she came to, but I think her analysis holds up.

Damn, thanks, Andy. That was pretty fucking moving to watch, not gonna lie :)

Dang it, wasted another half-hour watching one of her videos because I like the way she does this sort of work.

Am I completely off-based here because I thought the interaction between Drax and Mantis was due to setting them up as an unlikely couple.

I got that impression too. He certainly seemed to admire her at the end. I didn’t think their interactions were quite as abusive as Lindsay Ellis seemed to believe.

It would be if they were both functioning on an emotional level as adults but… they’re really not. Mantis has had almost zero exposure relationships since Ego sees her as a a tool, and Drax’s behavior kind of reminded me of that kid that picks on you that you think hates you but is secretly really into you, and like you said the end spelled it out.

Rocket picks on the people he knows and likes. She spent a good chunk of her review talking about that so him not taking Matnis seriously… not surprising.

Well, he’s a bit of a misanthrope at the beginning – he’s not picking on and mocking the group that hired the guardians for the initial job because he knows and likes them, for instance. He just seems angry at the world - it’s not good natured ribbing - it’s a self-destructive chip on his shoulder that’s been acquired because of the abuse he’s suffered in the past, making him ornery and unable to trust.

Yeah I agree with that.

I think the lady in the video might have read what is going on with Mantis a little too harshly, but Mantis has only been in one movie. It will be a crowded space for sure but hopefully we’ll get more of her and what they intend to do with her.

Hopefully this is vague enough to not be a spoiler, but James Gunn has said that after GotG Vol. 3, the Guardians of the Galaxy will no longer exist, or at least not in their current form. No idea what that means though.

I can’t imagine that Mantis will be a major player in Infinity War, especially with all the other superheroes around. Maybe in Volume 3???