Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 - Dance battle returns?

And now a new teaser!

Ok, I haven’t watched those trailers, so not sure if this info is communicated there, but I just read that the third movie is doing to be a lot more serious.

The director plans a heavier and more dour closing for his heroes, something signaled by his choices for the movie’s signature soundtrack. “It doesn’t start with ‘Mr. Blue Sky, it doesn’t start with ‘Come and Get Your Love,’” said Gunn, contrasting the movie to the intros in his previous two entries. “It starts with Radiohead’s acoustic version of ‘Creep.’”

Considering that the whole “lets have a fun adventure” factor was what really appealed to me in the first film, this does not sound great. The second movies attempt to dig into the whole melodrama was already going too far away from the fun for me.

Sorta like the first Pirates movie didn’t take itself too seriously and was excellent and then they embraced the po faced seriousness of its own mythology and it all got progressively worse.

If you are intentionally constructing a narrative arc where your characters change and grow over the course of the movies, it’s fairly typical to have them become a little less goofy as time goes by… or at least to have the stakes become a little more personal. This is what sets an honest-to-god “series” apart from money-grabbing sequels (like Pirates, which had no real character depth to plumb)…

The Harry Potter series is a pretty good example of this (whether you personally like them or not) - The first one was just a silly adventure, but they became incrementally more serious and character-centric as time went by. For HP that was also because they were aging-up along with their audience, but the point stands.

Guardians has always been about Peter Quill facing up to adulthood and responsibility. It makes sense that the final movie will be about him putting aside childish things.

Damn, this shit looks pretty heavy.

Wow, that was painful to watch.

Saw it tonight with my son and my girlfriend. We all enjoyed it; my son and I both felt the 80% RT score was right on. It was well-crafted, entertaining, has the most epic GotG fight yet, and both fun and really heavy moments. Not the best of the trilogy, but a very solid entry that’s unlikely to disappoint most people, except for the folks here whose tastes match the 20% of negative reviewers.

For the love of J’Son, though, don’t take young kids if they’re at all sensitive. There’s enough decapitation and evisceration here that the only reason it managed a PG-13 is because the ratings board is apparently okay with disemboweling non-humanoid aliens. Also moments that will make sensitive kids (and my girlfriend) cry.

It’s not a sad movie, but parts are pretty damn intense for a comic book film.

Even Kermode liked it (though he thought it would be better as a 90 minute movie, which is true of basically all superhero films).

ooo, now I know my Saturday night plans

I’m a little worried because my 8-year-old daughter is an absolute Guardians of the Galaxy fiend and really wants to see this, but all the reviews I’m checking out make me feel like it may just be too intense for her. But it’s going to be hard talking her out of wanting to see this.

Chris Pratt shares incredible behind the scenes footage of stunt work…

I thought this was the best MCU movie since Endgame. It had believable personal stakes rather than the fate of the multiverse hanging in the balance. Most of the characters had solid arcs, and there was a lot of characters playing off each other, and lots of little setups and payoffs. The special effects were much less plasticky than MCU has had of late, and some of the climactic battle scenes really worked despite being probably 95% CGI (e.g. the hallway fight).

It was at least 30 minutes too long though. Yes, they wanted to give the characters that might not return a proper sendoff. But that ending just felt like it dragged on and on.

I wouldn’t, specifically due to photo-realistic, super cute, sympathetic, defenseless talking animals being shot to death on-screen. That’s the kind of thing kids don’t tend to handle well. A villain’s face being ripped off and the camera lingering on the disfigured musculature that was under the skin for for maybe 20 seconds might also be too gross, and not at all cartoony unlike the alien decapitation mentioned earlier in the thread.

This was fun. Felt like some of his FX and creature design thinking for Suicide Squad paid off here.

Thought they blew their f-word in the first couple minutes, there, but they sort of masked it with some other conflicting sound effect?

The music did dip for a moment, but the later verse used “very” instead, so maybe it was the clean version.

I cried. Like, a lot.

Possibly the best Guardians movie? They raised the stakes while still telling an intensely personal story. And having read the comics, I was not prepared for which new characters showed up.

Your mileage may vary as far as which movie you liked the best, but this is probably the best conclusion to any of the MCU trilogies. And knowing that Gunn isn’t making any more Guardians movies lends a certain finality to the storyline.

Message me and I can share any content information you’re curious about (with or without spoilers).

I’ve read a few reviews and feel like I have a handle on what the concerns would be. I don’t know the extent of the animal cruelty is exactly, and of course they aren’t real animals and my fdaighter would get that, but it still could be disturbing. I may just wait until it’s streaming and we can watch at home, might go easier for her.

Animals get killed in the same ways that people get killed; it’s not like they show gruesome scenes of animal torture. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that Rocket was operated on (mostly offscreen), so that’s disturbing more because of the implications.

This was really good, I liked it a lot. Could’ve been a little shorter, and the first Guardians is still the best (and one of the best MCU films), but I liked this a lot.

I went in assuming at least someone would die, while other characters would live on and maybe even turn up elsewhere in the MCU. But what little press I let myself see was certainly positioning this as the end of the Guardians as we know them, and I really thought that would involve one or more noble sacrifices or something. I didn’t think I had strong feelings about whether or not anyone should die as long as whatever happened felt true to the characters. But by the end of the film I was so much happier than I anticipated that everyone makes it out and gets a more or less happy ending. That just felt great and I didn’t realize how much I’d appreciate it.

My least favorite of the Guardians movies by a good stretch. I think I might have superhero movie fatigue at this point after 15 years of this stuff.