Guess which car is having the most fun in Euro Truck Simulator 2

Title Guess which car is having the most fun in Euro Truck Simulator 2
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game reviews
When July 31, 2014

My truck is idling at a stoplight. This isn't Grand Theft Auto V or Watch Dogs, so I can't just nose my way between lanes and drive through the red light. In Euro Truck Simulator 2, obeying the rules is part of the gameplay..

Read the full article

I was like so close to making Spintires my new game this weekend, but you made this sound so fun on the podcast. I don't know which one to go with first.

I absolutely adore Euro Truck. Nothing like mastering your craft.

"You know, like anything can be great, anything can be great. I don't care, bricklaying can be great, if a guy knows. If he knows what he's doing and why and if he can make it come off."

Euro Truck Simulator 2 really is the perfect podcast-listening game. I mean, truckers have got to occupy their brain somehow, so it's basically just part of the simulation.

PS: I think I remember reading that they plan to release an American Truck Simulator at some point. There are already a bunch of American trucking sims (e.g. 18 Wheels of Steel) but I can only assume they don't have the special spice ETS has, because I've never seen anyone in a general gaming forum getting excited over them the way people have been over ETS.

I had to look up that quote. Now I want to watch The Hustler again.

I'm afraid I don't have an easy answer for you. They're both brilliant, but I personally prefer Spintires' weirdly existential vibe and messy representation of the natural order. That said, there's more moment-to-moment gameplay and longer-term RPG progression and varied scenery in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Think you sold me on this one, Tom....I've been ogling it for a while.

Are these games really this good? I always feel like I am part of a group of victims of a cruel trolling tradition when I read positive reviews of truck simulations. Seriously 4/5? What is the best one available if I wanted to jump into the genre?

All the rating means is that I really liked it. As for which one to jump into, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the only one I have any firsthand experience playing.

Yes this is no joke. It too was the same,. I've always been the kind of gamer who will try more or less anything, if its well made I'll get some joy out of it. But simulators, especially these "work simulators" I've always held in in total disdain, and considered them a pointless exercise, usually an exercise in torture however, because most are notoriously awful, to the point they're actually quite funny.

Then I watched Nerdcubes video on this "the road trip" It actually made me want to try the game, although even then I wasn't holding out much hope for it. I started out trying to run cars off the road. But then realised the game actually isn't that bad, been playing it most days ever since :| There's a free demo available too, so just give it a go. It might not be for you, But I didn't think it would be for me either.

Also this is the best one available right now, by a very long way.

Cool, I'll try the demo thanks for the reply!!

Since there is a demo, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the replies everyone!!

can i buy a car in this game ?

You cna buy trucks :D

Lol, I love ETS2 but this is the most BS review I've seen. Red light fines and speeding fines are totally worth it, the business simulation isn't realistic at all, parking your trailer isn't that hard if you look at the mirrors. Physics isn't realistic, grip seems to be infinite, jacknifing is impossible. ETS2 is about making ends meet when you take loans, maximizing XP gains (by stacking different cargo bonuses such as ADR, high value, long distance, just in time, fragile cargo), modifying your truck to fit your tastes, avoiding damaging the cargo or your truck, etc. It's great to learn parking maneuvers and to get an idea of how to drive a semi (broader turns and stuff). It helped me improve my real life driving, specially mirror usage. It's a great game but its highlights aren't the ones you said they are. Once you get a nice fleet profits just go up, it's not like transport tycoon where you can have trouble. BTW, if you haven't tried it, get high power cargo pack. It has amazing new trailers with yachts and helicopters among other things. It also includes new paint patterns for your trucks.

I love all DAF in Euro Truck Simulator