Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, or "Uh, I've been away for a year or more so now what?"

I ended up with a code thanks to Tom. I’m BradzoG.9867 so I’d love a guild invite. Totally new to the game, but I started a Norn ranger at level 1. I’m trying to decide if I should use one of my level 80 boosts, or if it’s worth going through the low level content.

Me, I’m working up from 1. Maybe if I stall out I’ll use the boost.

Everyone says to level at least your first guy up manually, and I agree, but you get a ton of good stuff for using the boost.

Holosmith is fun, but I can’t survive anything. Story is getting frustrating as a result (in Season 2 at the moment). Not sure if I need some different traits or what. I equipped a shield, and that helps a little, but not enough.

If there’s a guild or something, I want in. JoshL.2375. I’m starting from 1 as well, but I’m up to 10 already! That’s almost 80, right?

Yeah, Holosmith can be a bit squishy. It might be worth using some +toughness or +vitality trinkets, and check traits again to see which ones can help in survivability.

My trinkets are hugely lacking. Is there any place I can go to reliably get upgrades for trinkets, rings, etc? Everything I get from story rewards is normal armor.

I can craft rares for you if you want. Maybe a couple exotics (if those aren’t account-bound). Let me know what you need and I’ll see what I can try to arrange.

BTW, if you have enough laurels (and a bit of gold), you can go to a laurel merchant and get some ascended trinkets there. Highly recommended if you have the means to do so.

I just now went to add you guys in, but I see you’ve already got invites. So thanks to whomever’s handling these for us!

-Tom

Thanks to whomever. No idea how guilds work yet, but I am proudly playing poorly while exhibiting that [QTT] tag!

Hello everyone! I guess it’s been a while, but Tom and mysterious benefactor have provided me with some DLC and a renewed desire to guild some wars. It’s probably been two years at least since I last logged in, so the learning curve has been steep. I am slowly getting my head around it again, after trying the first Path of Fire mission and being unable to survive the very first fight (yes, the very first one). I’ve gone back to my character’s story which I was only partway through, and that’s brought me mostly back up to speed, although I’m still scratching my head about various changes (what are these mastery things, and what happened to skill points, how did combos work again, and what on Earth did they do to Lion’s Arch, etc).

If you see Krugerok knocking around, give me a wave. I am currently playing my L80 Elementalist, still wearing the same gear as before, I think I need to find some upgrades.

Don’t worry then, all is ok. I did the first Path of Fire mission on 3 or 4 of my characters. Of those, only my elementalist died in that mission. Glass cannons indeed. ;)

My ele has died more doing PoF, and I’ve only just started, than he did going from lvl 1 to lvl 80.

Just saw that there’s a secret hidden mount, once you finish PoF-- a griffon. It flies. Yeah. That gets me excited.

So I’m thinking about playing GW2 again. Still have to buy the expansion, and I have such a backlog… maybe 60% in favor of starting back up. Any deals on PoF that don’t involve grey-market sites?

Well, it’s somewhat hard to actually get the griffon. It requires a lot of things and collections, and items that you have to buy that sum up to around 250 gold. I just started the collections required (you can only start after you’re done with the PoF story) and it’s a lot of work, and it’s expensive, but it’s awesome. ;)

If I’m lucky, I might have mine in a couple months. We’ll see. ;)

Well it isn’t a secret now.

No deals that I’ve seen yet - it is pretty much $26-$30 everywhere (or $46-$50 for the HoT/PoF bundle).

I 100%ed Metrica Province! Up to level… uh, 17 I think (although it says “effective level 13” which I assume is because my equipment sucks).

And yeah, I’m in the guild now, although I doubt there’s much I can do to contribute at this point (I don’t even know what contributing would consist of).

Still not really sure what I’m doing!

No, you’re seeing the “dynamic level adjustment” mechanic of GW2 working. Areas have a “cap” in level; if you go to such an area with a character that has a higher level than the area “cap”, the game will adjust your stats to the area level, “downleveling” your character. In that way, high-level characters can go to low-level areas and still have plenty of fun, with level-appropriate rewards, etc. So you’re fine. ;)

EDIT: just make sure your gear is appropriate to your level. Try not to let it get more than 5 levels lower than your level or you might find yourself lacking in damage or survivability.

Which doesn’t mean your equipment doesn’t suck, though!

-Tom

I love how it’s also a way for the game to not lower too much the XP rewards, and entice you to play those areas still.

Dang, I just love this game. Wandering around is so great, even without a mount.

What happened to the monk class? is there an healing class still, besides the F key?

I saw your name in-game yesterday. On the map. So the map shows locations of guildmates? Pretty cool. Except I couldn’t figure out how to get over there. You were in the mountains, or something.