Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, or "Uh, I've been away for a year or more so now what?"

And as an Engineer, the perfect way to do just that is to use the flamethrower. Not sure if @JoshL has that one unlocked already though…

Regarding the warhorn, are you actually using the tempest spec in your build? Leveling tempest only unlocks the options to use in the build screen.

For ele, you may want to put aside like 10g and buy a set of good exotic armours from the trading house. Pick a stat combination and rune set that goes in the direction you want. If you hate being squishy you can grab some toughness/vitality, but don’t go too far in that direction as its a waste. High level ele play, as I understand it, is to make yourself a glass cannon with the berserker stat combo and rely on dodging and support from your team to avoid death.

I tried to look around, but couldn’t find if there is anyway to create “builds” in the game, to switch easily between (for instance, one for solo, and another spec for partying)?

So, seeing as this is the thread for people trying to return to the game - I’m considering making a level 80 ranger, since I enjoy Pets and Bows. If I did so - where the heck is the next step to go? The new area? And how? I dont have gliders or mounts or anything, but I have all expansions - thanks!

I think each expansion starts with a message in your mailbox. You probably want to do the Heart of Thorns stuff first to get Hero Points (spent on skills – in this case your elite specialization skills) and Mastery Points to improve your glider. The Hero Points are key. Heart of Thorns starts in the Silverwastes. Path of Fire starts in Lion’s Arch.

The thing is, HoT is challenging if you haven’t played for a while. You might want to muck about a bit to get the hang of things first; or just baptize yourself with fire in Maguuma.

No. Not yet. I know people have been clamoring for a template system.

First, armor.

If it’s OK for you to go with rares (yellows) for the moment, I can help you by crafting stuff. Just tell me the stats you want and I’ll see what I can do.

Now, exotics are… trickier. And much more expensive to buy or craft. I think crafted ones are account-bound, but I could be wrong.

Now, about trinkets.

Some of the Living Season 3 maps have special ascended trinkets that you can buy with the map currency. You can choose stats on each of them too, but you need to acquire the map currency. It might take a while, but it’s feasible as a mid-term goal, so to speak, even more so if you’re looking to equip a single character.

Crafted exotics are soulbound to the character who uses them first, I believe. Ascended stuff is account bound (thank God).

I can attest to the relative ease of getting ascended trinkets in season 3. Key word is “relative”. GW2 makes you work (and/or pay) hard for ascended gear.

Yeah, I know. I’m just wondering if they’re also account-bound, because I don’t remember seeing crafted exotic trinkets in the TP, but I never looked since I have a lvl 400 jeweler. ;)

Oh I see the distinction you were making. Sorry bout that. :)

Are you using a power build or a condition build? Because Revenants are fun using power builds, but condition builds in Revenants (and now Renegades) are crazy. Things just melt around you. It’s the perfect class to jump in the middle of a pack of foes, use some skills, then sheathe your weapons and walk away while they explode behind you. And yeah, I do that often. I might even change the head piece of his armor to sunglasses. ;)

Anyway, it’s really fun indeed. There are better power builds (Holosmith and Daredevil come to mind), but as far as conditions go, it’s by far the most fun class for me.

You almost never actually use the gear that is rewarded to you or dropped by monsters. You will need to sell or salvage them in order to craft or buy the specific exotic gear you actually need, and buying it is a lot easier.

You can either buy it on the trading post or using dungeon tokens. If you use the trading post, make sure you buy a level 80 item with the exact stat combo you want. Start with weapons, chest armor, and leggings since they contribute most to the total. Don’t forget about trinkets, but they are not available in as wide a variety of stat combos.

If you decide to use dungeon tokens, you will need to research the dungeon(s) that offers the stat combo you need. Citadel of Flame path 1 and 2 are popular choices because they offer Berserker items and are easy to do (with practice). Arah takes forever and is very unpopular.

Unlock explorable mode by playing story mode just once. Then learn how to survive explorable mode, either by reading or asking. There are usually a few tricks to each one. Most of them emphasize melee fights, which encourages stacking (standing in the same spot) so you can share boons and be quickly ressed when you die.

You can get a complete set of exotic armor plus one exotic weapon for <1800 tokens. Each dungeon gives you at least 100 tokens the first time you complete it each day.

Crafted exotic weapons are definitely not account bound, which is why there are so many pearl weapons on the TP.

I would expect the other crafted exotics to be similar. I mean the whole point is to craft tons of unnecessary exotics as you work up to 500, what are you expected to do with them when you are done? Don’t say salvage…

Except for the ascended LS3 trinkets I mentioned - when you buy one, you can pick the stats from any of the stats combinations available in the game now. The trinkets you get in Bloodstone Fen (the hardest to get too, due to the rarity of Blood Rubies) can even be reset so you can change the stats for some other combination if you want.

And ascended trinkets are not ever soulbound (though they are account-bound), so you can have a few and exchange them freely between characters as you see fit.

The easiest to get are the ones in Bitterfrost Frontier - a ring and an earring. Winterberries are easily farmable, and if you have 3 or 4 characters, you can get a new trinket in a couple days at most. They are unique, so you can only use one of them on any given character, but that way you’ll have the exact stats you need (and ascended) on nearly half of your trinkets, which is great.

Bloodstone Fen has a backpack, an amulet and a ring (though getting those is more difficult due to the rarity of Blood Rubies). Ember Bay has an earring, though Petrified Wood is somewhat rare to get too. So if you get one of each trinket in those maps, you’ll have all your trinkets in order with the exact stats you want. Easier said than done, though. ;)

One more tip: before investing in any gear pay a visit to the PvP zone (Heart of Mists) and try it out.

Not everything is available, but most of the common gear combinations can be tried out using a very simple interface that lets you select stats, runes, sigils, and traits. And it’s all free (too bad you can’t keep it when you leave!)

There are golem dummies to practice on, as well as more challenging NPCs, and even a free for all arena with live players. You don’t need to sign up for a single competitive match to do this. Often I realize that a build that sounds awesome in theory doesn’t work out so well in practice and isn’t worth the gold.

If you try this, also be aware that the gear used in PvP is slightly underpowered compared to what you will use in most PvE zones, I believe it corresponds to level 78 exotic stats and there are no temporary buffs (food, etc.).

Hell, I haven’t played since launch. Would love a guild of people who know what they’re doing. DucVader.6729

Happy to have you, Vader! Invited!

-Tom

I have not checked into this, but yikes.

It’s caused alot of commotion since the patch dropped yesterday.

For those who want the quick textual summary:

• The latest expansion introduced mounts.
  • They introduced halloween-themed mount skins into the gem store for a set amount, and it caused no grief.
  • Yesterday they introduced 30 new mount skins. To get these mount skins you pay for an “adoption license”, which is $5 USD (bulk discount) per, which unlocks one of the 30 new skins forever.
  • If you buy more than one license you will always get a new skin, so no duplicates.

The complaints have seemed to focus on the fact that which skin you get is random. If you only want one or two of the skins in the store there is no way to buy them individually, you just have to keep buying adoption licenses until you hit the one you want, which at $5 each is really expensive.

My personal view is that the whole controversy is overblown. They are skins, they have no gameplay difference whatsoever. I think they are priced too expensively for what they are. Some look really cool but others aren’t that exciting, so $5 to roll a dice is too much for my taste. It doesn’t really affect me or the game in any way. It would be nice if they were cheaper, or got rid of the RNG element and let people pick their own, but if people really do hate the system very few will be buying them and ANet will realise they should change their strategy. People need to remember that they are paying no monthly sub to play the game.

The people it really hurts, I think, are those who are so addicted to the cosmetics of this game that they will buy them anyway, and are upset that they have to pay so much to get the nicest looking skins guaranteed. I don’t really mind their outrage on reddit if it leads to ANet lowering the price, but the game has not been compromised in any way. The fact you can buy in-game gold through real dollars is far more influential on the nature of the game, and that has been around for years and years.

Ah, so that’s why I saw someone riding a wolf today. I thought there were only raptor, rabbits, stingrays, and griffons. But I see someone sitting there on a wolf and I thought, wait, there’s wolfs too?

It doesn’t affect me, but I do think it’s pretty scummy to build that kind of gumball machine dynamic into the game to bilk money from people who want to collect stuff. I guess they’ve pushed miniatures collecting as far as they can, so now this.

-Tom