Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, or "Uh, I've been away for a year or more so now what?"

Wow that’s sooner than I expected, so chapter 1 will drop November 28?

I still need to do living world season 3!

I’m still in Season 2!

… I got a lot of work ahead of me.

Yup, Living World Season 4 Episode 1 drops on November 28. Anet had said that the interval between Path of Fire and Season 4 would be much smaller than the one between Heart of Thorns and Season 3, and I’m glad to see they meant it. I’m ready and eager to play it!

Season 1 didn’t have much in the way of actual story content. It was mostly live events not entirely dissimilar to stuff like the Mad King Halloween business, but less varied. I think enough people (myself included) clamored for something a little more substantial and permanent that they decided to do the current model of Living World seasons - and proper paid expansions - instead.

So - I’ve used my lvl 80 boost for a warrior and a ranger now - I’ve been spending some time in silverwastes after unlocking my mount, but I’m kinda curious, since thats basically the same thing you do over and over again - Is there any where else my lvl 80 time would be better spent? I have no clue about masteries - have unlocked one thingie that gave me more xp while crafting, but thats it.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

There’s a lot of lvl 80 content around. The HoT metas are really popular (and they can be really fun), the LS3 maps, PoF metas, fractals, raids… and you can just explore and do events in normal maps, which is one of my favorite things. There’s a lot to do.

Okay, let me ask again please then

1. What are Hot Meta?
  2. What are LS3 maps?
  3. What are PoF Metas?

Fractals are the dungeon things, right? I’ll be soloing, so thats not possible, same as aids - Explore is another thing I want to do, but I also would like to try the mastery thingies - They can only gain xp on level 80’s correct?

Sorry about all the questions - its a complex game!

Metas are meta-events, huge chains of events that some maps have, and most of them also give really good rewards. HoT metas (which means meta-events that take place in Heart of Thorns maps) are some of the most elaborate, and they also give pretty good rewards. The Auric Basin meta in particular gives tons of loot, and it’s pretty fun. All meta events require lots of players working together, though, so it’s better to use the LFG tool to find groups doing the metas.

Living World Season 3 maps. Each of the episodes in Living Season 3 added a map, each map with its own masteries and meta-events and resources. Some of them are really fun (Bloodstone Fen is one of my favorite maps in the whole of Guild Wars 2).

Meta-events in the maps added by Path of Fire. They’re not nearly as extensive and elaborate as the Heart of Thorns metas, but they can be pretty fun - especially the Augury Rock meta-event that you’ll find in Elon Riverlands, and the Maws of Torment meta-event in the Desolation.

Fractals are an evolution of the dungeons in the main game, but yeah, they’re dungeon-like things that require a full team of 5. I don’t do fractals much, but I plan to eventually. I tried a few times and most of those times were pretty fun.

Yeah, all experience you accumulate after level 80 will go to “training” the mastery you selected. You’ll also need Mastery Points to actually unlock the masteries themselves (after they’re fully trained), and you get those via achievements, exploration, and some kinds of challenges, depending on the area.

1. & 3. Large, map-wide “meta-events” involving a chain of events and an ultimate impact on the way the maps work for a while.
  2. Living Season 3 maps

Edit: and, naturally, Rham is already on it. :)

Awesome- Thanks a lot guys! For some reason, I’ve bounced off the game many times, but recently I’ve taken a shine to it, and really enjoy it!

oh - Is the first story line worth completing? The one everyone starts with? I actually think I have most of them, but never completed any of them.

I would say so. it starts a bit silly but the later story is pretty cool and the Zhaitan mission is super memorable. Also you do get loot - a lot of it is designed to be useful during the 1-80 progression so won’t be anything much on a level 80, but the last chapter gives some decent goodies.

You may see stuff complaining about being forced to group at the end but that is no longer true. I soloed Zhaitan and it was hectic but completely viable.

Nice - I do remember on the one character I actually got to level 80, a ranger, I got stumped out in some desert with a group quest to kill a dragon - Thats Zhaitan?

No, you only face off against Zhaitan at the end of the first story arc, and it’s only in a party of five or fewer.

There are plenty of other dragons, though, some of which are fought in very large group battles that you can unexpectedly stumble into.

There are three dragons to kill in the “open world” that I recall now - Tequatl, Claw of Jormag and the Shatterer, and none of those is in a desert. :)

And yeah, the Zhaitan fight happens in an instance that nowadays is perfectly soloable. When GW2 came out, it was a dungeon-like thing (so you needed a 5-people party), but not anymore.

“Daybreak” is the name of Episode 1 of Living World Season 4, and it will be out in exactly one week. New trailer (spoiler warning, if you haven’t completed the Path of Fire story):

Fractals are the funnest thing in the game, in my opinion. They are mini-dungeons that need a team of 5, but you can easily use the LFG tool to find a group. They don’t take very long, 15-30 minutes maybe depending on how much the team is struggling. Most of the time there are groups doing the ‘daily fractals’, one of the handful of terms you’ll need to get your head around as fractals have their own little universe in the game. They do give great rewards though. They are one of the best ways to get ascended gear for a character, a good way to earn gold, and most importantly they are fun (provided you are in a decent group).

Crap! And awesome. I still haven’t completed Season 3. This should be fun, though.

Just a reminder that the story is continuous, like this:

GW2 base -> Season 1 (recap) -> Season 2 -> Heart of Thorns -> Season 3 -> Path of Fire -> Season 4

So don’t play Season 4 until you have finished the story in Path of Fire. Just saying. ;)

Nah, I’m going to play the latest thing. Does anyone really read the text or play the game with sound anyway?