Guild Wars 2?

Everyone in the game got, recently, an item that can level one character instantly to level 80 (along with a shared item slot). Perhaps new accounts will get that one too? Of course, getting proper lvl 80 gear could be hard, but perhaps I could help a little bit with that, if anyone here needs it.

All the content in Heart of Thorns (except for the new class) is lvl 80 content, but as I said in a different message, Anet gave everyone a “level to 80” item recently, and it’s possible that anyone buying HoT right now will get one. I’m not entirely sure though.

Both versions of HoT include a ‘max level boost’ item, which I assume is the level 80 boost item.

And curse you all for bumping this thread. If I was interested in playing along, what do I need to do besides getting my game up to date and buying HoT?

Yep, I got the “buy HoT, get a boost to 80 on one character!” hard sell when I logged in just now.

A buddy of mine who plays sent me the cash to buy HoT. I love the Revenant. Did I miss the auto level thing? Is it in your inventory?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it.

Cripes - if you’re looking to be talked out of buying the expansion, just read the official forums. (Granted, do that for any MMO if you want to be talked out of it).

That goes for pretty much any game. The forums have about 1 to 5 percent of the players in any game. But they are the vocal minority. The only game that I play that has a decent forum is Marvel Heroes. The devs are there every day discussing changes with the forum members. Otherwise it’s usually a wasteland.

We just need to know your account name so we can add you to the guild.

-Tom

Apparently somebody jumped the gun, because the price is back to normal on their site now.

Still shows as half-price for me here.

Wasn’t really planning to pick up GW2 again, but with HoT half off and a new Living Story season coming up…guess I’ll be poking around a bit again.

I spent a good four hours last night running around in the Maguuma Jungle with a buddy. Turns out I’m almost done with the expansion story—I hadn’t realized. I’m also a little confused by the way time seems to pass in the plot: the story missions seem to assume that they’re all happening in the first two or three days after the start of the expansion story, while the zone meta-events are obviously a lot more spread out in time. I dunno. It’s strange.

Still tons of fun, though. There’s a reason I’ve sunk north of 500 hours into GW2 over the years, and it isn’t because I tend to spend that much time on games.

If I missed all of season 1 and 2 will buying HoT and signing up for season 3 mean anything? Or is that even possible, do i have to pay for the first 2 seasons before i can do season 3?

Season 3 will have characters introduced in seasons 1 and 2, but should be otherwise standalone. You can buy Season 2 on the gem store for 960 of them, I think, but season 1 was mostly open-world events, and I don’t think you can get it to catch up.

You can’t, but there was very little substance to season 1, story or otherwise, so you aren’t missing much.

There’s not a lot to the story in HOT.

I want to thank @tomchick for the update on the front page for this game. I’m really enjoying it and I wouldn’t have seen it if it wasn’t for that.

I think that MMOs are just not to my liking.

I’ve dabbled with Guild Wars 2 on and off for a few years now and just recently reinstalled and put a lot of time in this week. There are things I love like the unique aesthetic, inventive and gorgeous environmental design, rich lore, and the fact that I can play as a freaking tree person!

But then I get a little further and many other aspects start deflating my renewed enthusiasm. The combat becomes boring and rote as I just cycle through my number keys trying to make sense of the visual confusion on screen. The personal narrative, cut-scenes, and dialogue have their quality moments but more than not become something I want to skip to get past a poorly voiced Asura making lame sarcastic retorts about houseplants. The missions strive to become more than “collect 13 Krait asses” but are painfully simplistic in their own way. The last one I did yesterday tasked me with collecting 4 robotic Golem parts in a cave, yet they were all about 50 feet–in a straight line–away from the return point. I didn’t have to search for them in a maze, or have any interesting battles, or go through a jumping puzzle to get to them. It was just simply run back and forth carrying one at a time. The impermanence of an MMO world starts wearing on me too. GW2 tries to keep things dynamic with events that randomly pop up like defending the spiral tree from an invasion, and they are fun to stumble upon initially, but dawdle too long in one area and you just see the same URGENT task pop up repeatedly on a timer. I just start ignoring everything in the world because, what’s the point beyond gaining experience?

The more I play GW2 the more I start wishing it was a single player game with better combat, richer narrative, and permanence. I start realizing that GW2 is a very lackluster single player rpg stretched out thin to extend the playtime and padded with mining, crafting, and a ton of other watch-the-numbers-go-up distractions that I care little about.

The obvious response is that I am playing solo when the experience is best enjoyed with a group of friends shooting the shit and tipping back beers, which is fair. I just uninstalled last night after giving the game another fair shake. The thought nagging at the back of my head was why am I pouring my limited game time into this when I would rather be playing Pillars of Eternity or peers.

I had the same reaction as you. If the combat isn’t interesting I just can’t keep pushing on. The varied locals are great but combat just becomes a chore.

Keep in mind that combat may feel better if you try a different class (or even a different build for the class you’re playing). I have one character of each class, and the experience in combat can be quite different between them.