Guild Wars 2?

Well, it was really popular here in Brazil, especially when it aired on TV. ;)

Ha, thanks! No, I’ve not joined any guilds yet, and haven’t even scratched the surface of what the guild system is all about (in a game called Guild Wars even). Is there a benefit to the guild to having people join or is it just for easier party-making, or does it open/close off areas, items, etc?

Yes.

By that I mean that there is a benefit to being in a guild (especially if you like PvP or WvW, but also PvE), and it also helps in party-making and all. It doesn’t really close areas gameplay-wise, but to participate in Guild missions you have to be part of a guild. That is a really minor part though. For me, the main benefit of being in a guild is being able to play with people you know, to help each other. So that’s why I’d encourage you to join the Qt3 guild (you can actually join more than one guild, so it won’t lock you in any way).

Definitely join us. We have a big fat Guild chest full of stuff that might be useful that you might not otherwise have. Various foods, for instance. You know better than to adventure on an empty stomach, right?

When you get a chance, post your account name plus 4-digit number and one of us will shoot you an invite.

-Tom

Argh I can’t believe how after getting 2 expansions I’ve still only got 5 character slots!

Yeah, they’re super-chintzy with the number of slots, but I guess those $10 add up.

It’s quite possible to buy slots without spending real money, but of course, you have to play a lot. Sure, nowadays it’s harder to do so compared to a few years ago, but it’s still possible.

I guess that would have to be true. But my math with the current exchange rate says that it’d cost about 220 gold to get enough gems to buy a character slot. It’s been awhile since I’ve played seriously so correct me if I’m wrong, but when I was playing 220 gold was quite a serious time investment to gather.

Thanks, ok, I’m Equisilus.7814 (surprise!).

Speaking of food, I really should look into the cooking/crafting aspect soon. I’ve hit level 20 and have been collecting a lot of ingredients that I just deposit to clear my inventory. I have a few recipes but haven’t tried them out, yet.

It’s handy. You get nice XP for cooking stuff, especially if you experiment to find new recipes, and the food gives you different buffs.

Ummm, the Qt3 guild is pretty fucking pathetic. Latest accomplishment news is friggin’ 5 months ago. Get on the horse and represent, people!

I think that’s about it, yes. And yeah, 220 gold nowadays can take a while to gather, especially since LWS4 caused a major drop in most “commodities” in the game (and the fact that most new materials are account-bound doesn’t make it any better). That said, while it’s harder to get all that gold in normal play, it’s still well within reach if you know what to farm and what to sell.

Here’s a current thread on Reddit on gold acquisition in-game. If you know where to go and what to do, you can get about 12-25 gold per hour. Even more if you’re not into crafting ascended/exotic stuff and the like.

So let’s say you average 20 gold per hour. That’s 11 hours of grinding to save $10. Not for me.

I like to think that ANet limiting character slots is putting a limit on my time in the game, and I’m ok with that.

S04E02 is now live, log-in to unlock it for free forever.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/march-6-2018/

This game puts so much junk in my inventory… i don’t know what to sell anymore.

If it lets you put it on the trading post and it can’t go into storage, you should just sell it. Everything that isn’t account bound and isn’t a legendary precursor is trivially convertible to and from money. There’s no point in keeping anything you’re not using in your inventory.

Since I can’t get enough of GW2, this has me intrigued. After checking out the link, I see there’s a bunch of these seasons & episodes scattered over the years. Are they all available to me as a new player now or have I missed out on everything but the most recent ones? Aside from the ‘special events’ I can’t be sure if the content only unlocks for current players or not.

If you didn’t unlock them at the time, I think they are like $2/ea to unlock (or the equivalent in gems). I don’t actively play GW2, but thanks to stusser I’ve managed to keep everything unlocked so far…

Yeah, I think it’s like $12 per season to unlock if you don’t login during the period they’re current. Not ridiculous, as GW2 is not a subscription game.

I haven’t played any of them either! But I looooooooooove free shit.

You did miss season 1, but that’s okay. It was bullshit. Just a bunch of one-off world events that were really not that exciting. The minimal story elements have a replayable video recap that’s free.