Guild Wars 2?

Ah, ok, thanks. The game is so massive I’m not lacking for content, but good to know I can add on more if I wish. At level 34 and I’m still learning.

By login, do you mean login to the launcher? Or do you need to hit play and/or load into the world with a character?

The latter. There’s a notification you need to open.

Cheers!

If anyone wishes to send me that guild invite (Equisilus.7814), feel free. Approaching level 40 and my thief can’t break into the guild halls despite her best efforts.

The character scaling is fascinating GW2. I can be in a higher level area and not have any problems but struggle to survive in some combat in a level 10 section. Perhaps the encounters themselves determine why some are difficult and some are not and I just don’t understand which ones are geared towards groups vs. individuals. Doesn’t happen often, but when it does I’m doing a quick stealth retreat if I can make it.

I just sent your invite. Welcome aboard!

Excellent. Thanks!

Question about the encoded orders that you pick up. I’ve traded a bunch in and got the locations of several different champion bandits types. However, the first one I tried (Aerl the Silent) took me out in a few seconds (I’m a level 56 Sylvari thief downgraded to level 24 or whatever the area puts you at, Aerl was at level 23). Is the difficulty of these such that I shouldn’t even bother in my current state or should I just keep going back until I figure it out? I don’t want to waste time when there’s so much else to do.

Tipically, champions need groups to defeat. Going in alone is suicide. One thing you can try is saying on map chat that the bandit has spawned - chances are, other players in the map will flock to the area to help.

That said… those kinds of encounters are designed to be tackled by (underleveled) lvl 80 characters with good gear, so it might be harder for <80 characters.

So, I’d say try calling people. If no one appears, move on. You can face the bandits at a later time. ;)

Ah, well, that explains it then. I’ve gotten used to events stating if they need a group or not so I didn’t get that these would require a group. I’ll definitely wait until later. Can I toss all the decoded messages?

If you don’t have the space to store them (in the bank or in a “mule” character), you can toss them, though you might need them later (I’m not really sure). Check the wiki for more info.

The Super Adventure Box is back. Begins March 29th.

And the Super Adventure Festival is live!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/march-29-2018/

Having reached level 80 with my Sylvari thief but not having yet completed my personal story, I’m constantly getting these pop-ups to choose Masteries every time I gain experience. But my Masteries are locked and I’ve yet to figure out how to unlock them. It seems to have to do with the stories of the expansions (since it clearly states to go to one of two areas to start them), but when I started the prologue of one, I was having a communicator dialogue with someone that referenced things that I don’t remember doing. The other direction was waaaaay too tough and I felt I was out of my element.

Is it normal to just continue with your personal story without unlocking masteries and finish that before moving on? The lack of advancement really turns me off right now, after loving most everything up to this point. What am I doing wrong?

Masteries are a PITA. A lot of them are bound to the Living Stories, so if you hadn’t logged in while they were active, you’ll have to buy them with gemstones and run through them.

And some are “yeah, I would have known that” like the HoT one I got when I helped zerg a boss somewhere.

You will need the glider HoT mastery in order to glide and progress the HoT story.

TL;DR:

• Do you personal stories in order;
  • You will need to run through the living world stories to get the rest
  • Others are gated behind HoT/PoF Hero Point completions, which can be problematic

Is that to say progression is pretty much nil for me now? Both expansion directions seem to be way out of my league right now.

No. In fact, if you’re not worried about the whole mastery thing, don’t be. The majority of the game’s content doesn’t need going into masteries, other than getting as far having the glider mastery, which can be considered a gate for the HoT story, and the bloodstone magic mastery for PoF.

I’d be more worried about grinding out/crafting all exotic gear to your satisfaction, and then work on your ascended weapon, if you haven’t already.

Hmm. I’ll have to investigate these things of which you speak. Most of my time has been spent exploring, gathering crafting materials, helping the world, gathering hero points, and advancing to level 80 while following my personal story. Without the xp gain, though, it feels odd. I’m a bit more interested in starting another level 1 character than grinding away the higher levels, aside from the story. I’ll see if I can stay interested.

If you have either expansion, then the next stage of progression is to complete your elite specialization(s).

True. I chose Daredevil only because I don’t use range, but I don’t want to bother with the staff either (I dual-weild daggers). So I didn’t activate it although I have 5 or so steps into it. Without any more levels, grinding out hero points one at a time seems a long process, meaning I could play for hours with little to show for it.