Guild Wars 2?

I keep seeing this word being attributed to her, mean. Mean in a way that others aren’t? This is gaming right? I bet I don’t even have to go back more than a month, maybe two, to find some dev that was mean to a fan.

If so, I hadn’t seen it.

And to be clear, there’s a difference between being a dick on your own time and when talking about your job. And there’s a difference between being a dick to someone who clearly deserves it and not.

The tweets that were cited seem pretty freaking mild for internet discourse, honestly.

Apparently she referred to the guy as a “rando asshat”. Again, doesn’t seems worthy of firing someone.

Yes I agree. That’s why there’s more to the story. They also fired a thirteen year veteran of the company.

Fans suck.

Plenty of them do, but not the trigger of this particular incident.

Agreed, there was nothing offensive about what he said, and even offered something of an apology (in the form of a sorry if I offended you, but I’m not sure why you are annoyed kind of way)

Based on the Kotaku interview it sounds like she was acting the same way inside the company as a result of perceived sexism. With current info it’s impossible to know if there’s any merit, but her public persona creates the impression that it was her being unable to take and getting incorrectly offended by legitimate criticism.

Yes, she comes across as an insufferable pillock.

But again, I think it would only take a month or two of searching to find some dev, on company time, acting exactly like that. This seems pretty extreme for a non-extreme response even if the response was not okay… like a talking to not okay.

Not sure who you’re arguing with-- is anyone in this thread saying either of the two should have been fired?

Well you’ve called her mean and unpleasant, implied she acted like a dick on company time and was unable to control herself, suggested there is more to the story, although we don’t really know for sure there is, and then said she is insufferable pillock. It just seems like a lot for a behavior that isn’t even that uncommon in this industry.

Of all the fan interactions I’ve seen that were not… good, I would put her in the middle of the pack, at worst.

I believe the suggestion that there was more to the story came because it didn’t seem like the firing was justified, not that she was horrible so there must be more.

Yes, sorry, I thought I was clear on that.

You probably were. It was me misreading. Sorry.

How to run a modern games media website:

1. Scour Twitter and Reddit for any drama related to gender.
  2. Oversimplify the situation and rally legions of SJWs.
  3. Watch any counter arguments in article comments get bombed out of submission.
  4. Profit???

I’m all for #metoo and what it stands for, but it has resulted in so much shit journalism.

I disagree with many of the media takes too. They’re approaching this as the entire story encapsulated; this person made those comments and both she and a 13 year coworker were fired for them, and that would indeed be problematic. But that’s silly, nobody would be fired for that alone. They’re jumping to conclusions.