Guild Wars - Alpha

I’m participating in the Guild Wars alpha testing, and am looking for others to party with. If you’re interested, send me a private message, or simply post here. I’m available today (Sunday, Feb 1) for most of the daylight hours (Eastern time). If not today, though, perhaps some evening this week.

I have only finished the first mission, and am a level 6 ranger. I attempted to do the next mission (although “next” isn’t exactly the right word, given the structure of this game), which is designed for level 3-6 parties, and I got slapped around by the first little group of monsters I encountered. I need help!

As of a week ago, alpha testers are allowed to share their general impressions of the game (gameplay, graphics, characters). We’re not allowed to share screenshots or detailed walkthroughs, however.

Dave

Could we get some details? How’s it play? This seemed like an interesting combination between diablo and a MMORPG. Is it like that?

Yes, it is like that. I’d be interested in posting my general gameplay thoughts, but if you want to read more about what the game is like, and see (extremely nice) screenshots, check their site:

http://www.guildwars.com

and then see if you have more questions.

How do we get into this alpha thingo? is it a simple sign up? A download?

I’m too lazy to click links.

( actually, I’m not , I’m waiting for a render to finish - oooh… an hour for a frame! YAY! )

I think it’s closed, so no downloads. I’d love to try this game though. Screenshots are nice, if they are in game, playing shots.

Here’s a question: How persistant is the world? The website says everyone will play together, with no “servers”, and will have instanced versions of all “quest maps”. Are the towns/outposts simply buffed up versions of battle.net chat rooms, or do they have more purpose?

Let me put it in more concrete terms. There are two towns, x and y. How do I get from x to y?

It looks gorgeous! Give us your impressions of the game, please.

Oh dear. I hope this game is much worse than it looks, or else I’m going to simply lose several months of my life when it comes out.

I’ve been following this game from a distance for quite awhile now as it’s the only MMORPG I have any interest in, and my interest is high. Please let me know if there’s a way to get into the testing. (Get me in and I’ll happily party with you. I’ll even bring the ale! :))

So post them, jackass. Jesus christ.

The Guild Wars folks are looking for more alpha testers, and we’ve been encouraged to invite our friends, relatives, clan mates, and anyone else we respect and trust.

So Jon, if you’d send me a private message, I’d love to get you involved.

Dave, my new friend! I’ve been HOTLY anticipating this game! Did I tell you you’re handome!!?!?

errrr…I’d just… love… to … play … the alpha… argh…

But really, how does the game play… is it like a 3d Diablo?

etc

Here is a link to the specific page on the Guild Wars website that describes the game:

http://www.guildwars.com/gameinfo/default.html

That page does an excellent job of describing the game. I especially like the sentence:

You don’t have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning.

That is definitely true. I think it will become even more true when you’ve got a party, but I have yet to be in one. I can’t wait to!

If you want a quick and dirty image of the game, it’s set in a world as pretty as Dungeon Siege, populated with monsters about as much as in Dark Age of Camelot.

Wow this is very very interesting. Is this the MMORPG that won’t have a monthly fee, or am I thinking of something else?

I might have to. So far, it’s looking like it’d be the only way to find out what this goddamned game is like.

Seriously, give us more to go on. It takes a little bit more than a vague topic and a typical company schpiel page to get interested in a no-name game that’s in alpha.

Is this the MMORPG that won’t have a monthly fee, or am I thinking of something else?

Yep, that’s Guild Wars.

That’s awesome. Now I’m really interested… I want in :P

Is this the free one?

yeah

Nice. I’ve love to get into an MMORPG, but I hate paying the subscription price.