Guild Wars: Beta Event

I just ran toward the bridge and they were right near it.

Put Red Tide on your friends list if you want to quest or something.

[quote=“Orpheo”]

Do you mean that when someone wins the tournament, the veteran missions are unlocked for everyone in a worldwide game changing event, or that you have to have been on a winning team to get to those missions? If its the former, then it seems like it’s meaningless for at least 2/3 of the players. There’s only to be a small group of unemployed teenagers that has a serious chance at actually winning a large scale tournament. For everyone else, it’s just the delayed release of some content. One day people will go “Oh, they added some new areas. Cool.”, and that will be that.

Also in that vein, isn’t it overwhelmingly likely that the winning team will be people who just made PvP characters, and so won’t even see the new PvE content they unlocked?[/quote]

Neither of the above… the way it works… there are statues to all of the Gods located in various places in the world. When a team from your world holds the hall of heroes the Gods favor your world. When this happens you’ll see the statues change and know that because a team from your world was the last victorious team that you can go up to a statue and /kneel before it which will summon an avatar of that particular god. These avatars will offer various services for payment, one of the things they offer is a trip to the “home realm” of the god they represent where people can complete quests that give them rewards they cannot obtain elsewhere. For those who are familiar with DaoC think of it like a slightly different take on Darkness Falls.

Can you clarify what a world is? I assumed it was a server at first, but now it sounds like it may not be, since you’re talking about players from different worlds competing.

Everything in GW beta is on one massive server with tons of instances. I’m not sure if they plan on separating the servers at launch, but I doubt it. Click on your “District” in the upper left corner of your screen… you can see “District 20”, meaning you’re in the 20th instance of that zone.

Well, now I’ve had the opportunity to play a few hours of PvP. I finally got on good teams that could win up to several times in a row. I’m now officially addicted. I could spend endless hours just designing builds. Having all of the skills open (I assume this is just for beta) is overwhelming.

I’m not finding all the controls I’m used to from other MMORPGs. As far as I can tell, someone has to “call” a target before other people can assist. I’m used to just being able to select someone and assisting automatically or typing /assist. I haven’t found a /follow, although it doesn’t seem strictly necessary. I haven’t found quick keys to select specific party members; I hate having to click in the party window. It would be helpful, like in CoH, to have a display of the effects on all the party members. I’m not good at keeping track of what’s effecting me, nonetheless the rest of the party.

So far Guild Wars seems to have the most tactically interesting combat of the MMORPGs I’ve played. On the down side, I’m a social MMORPGer and so far it seems like the least chatty and social of the MMOs I’ve played. I just joined a small guild so that could all change.

The single player stuff I’ve seen is no better than WoW IMO. I can see how the MP stuff would be nice.

I’m a bit disappointed in that I still feel like I’m playing WoW when I play alone, and there are plenty of MMOs out there if I want to play with others. I’ll probably pick it up eventually because, y’know, no monthly fee, but I wish the actual game (especially single player) was more diablo like and less WoW like. I’m getting to the point where my burnout curve on boring MMO combat mechanics involving just hitting preferred key patterns without having to do a whole lot of reacting gets exponentially shorter with each new implementation. C’mon Hellgate and/or Diablo 3!

There are 3 worlds that you can join when you make an account and are split up among geographical lines, the three current worlds are: America, Korea, and Europe. What this means is that if you are in Lion’s Arch district 1 and you are in the American world you won’t see people in the Korean Lion’s Arch district 1. However all worlds share the same international districts so you can meet up with friends there if you like.

As for the boring same old MMO combat remark… I can see this to some extent as one of the above people mentioned the richness of GW combat comes from selecting your 8 skills to combo together and at more advanced levels selecting a team of 8 players who have skills that harmonize. So as a quick example… I was playing a Trapping ranger/monk in the last build where I used the skill Martyr as my elite. What Martyr does is take all “conditions” that teammates are suffering and put them all on me (bleeding, disease, on fire, etc…) My particular build didn’t really care about most of the conditions since I never directly attack anyone and we also had a monk who brought along a condition removal spell which he would use on me whenever I used Martyr. Of course there were many many other synergies going on between the other characters on the team as well. But tht’s an example of the sort of things you tend to do in a build that really works.

I’m not finding all the controls I’m used to from other MMORPGs. As far as I can tell, someone has to “call” a target before other people can assist. I’m used to just being able to select someone and assisting automatically or typing /assist. I haven’t found a /follow, although it doesn’t seem strictly necessary.

Well, you can follow anyone or anything by selecting it and hitting space. If you do that with a hostile, you’ll start attacking, a friendly or neutral, you’ll follow. As for the first part of your statement, you are correct.

I’ve played with 3 different types now, gotten all of them to atleast level 5 with the highest being 11 and must say that i enjoy playing elemntalist/necro the most. So many fun spells.

I love Necro so much… I played Necro/Elem last time though, and the Elem spells all seemed pretty useless to me. What else is a good match?

The elemental skills are good if you concentrate on one branch. I was/am a primarily fire based damaging with primarily curse based necromancer skills.

My strategy was something like this: Start battle with an Aura of Restoration for some health, Flare is my main source of damage, just wail with it, use a Soul Barb combined with Life Syphon and Parasitic bond to strip away health and help regain some of mine. If they’re bunched up use a Fire Storm, and if they charge you hit them with an Inferno and pray for back up. Bone horror when you get the chance.

My other two build were a Me/R11 and a W/R7. The mesmer was a pretty basic Mesmer, Backfire, Conjure Phantasm, Power Spike and Chaos Storm with some animal and arrow skills. The Warrior concentrated on axe skills and animal skills with Troll Unguent as well. Also, I saw a distinct lack of moa birds, but a lot of Melandru Stalkers. This makes Red sad.

I got a lot of money with the Mesmer as it was the character I started with, I sold a lot of Iron, Wood and Hides so I got to upgrade my armor high, and even tricked it out with some dye. I’ll post some screens tomorrow.

Oh, I don’t doubt that Elem is very good, I just used so much reanimation and… uh… Vampiric Whatever that I didn’t have any reason to use those spells.

Again: QT3 guild?

I realize it’s a little late in the game, but I created a Quarter to Three guild last night. I don’t know for sure whether they are (or if so, how they are working it) reserving guild names once retail ships, but I went ahead and made one. It’s called Quarter To Three, the tag is QtoT (no numbers allowed). I’m going to hop on now, and anybody who wants to can add me to their friend’s list and I’ll invite them to the guild. Name for now = “The Raber”

My last post reminds me. EFlannum, are the incredibly strict naming restrictions REALLY necessary? I understand that you guys are trying to limit l33t speak and all that, but you can’t leave “the” or “of” uncapitalized? You can’t make a “Mc” or “Mac” name because you can’t have any capitals in the middle of a word? And no numbers in guild tags. Even in tags? Come on.

I’m not the person who makes such decisions so I’m not entirely sure what the reasoning is behind that particualr decision although I would guess its another anti-leet name protector so people can’t have names that look like tHIS. I’m guessing that some sort of filter for certain combinations would be possible but I’d imagine it’s a really low priority. I’ll check into it for you.

I know it’s not your thing, and I know it’s been mentioned a million times on the forums (it has), so don’t worry about it – I’m just venting. I was, frankly, a little suprised that there can’t be a Qt3 Guild tag, but there can’t.

Anyway, I haven’t played much this weekend (I’m saving it for release, mostly) but I have REALLY been impressed with how far the polish has come in the last month. I loaded up in Yak’s bend, and immediately saw that there were two NPCs in town with class-specific missions, rewarding me with 3 skills each. The interface, though I have heard mixed reactions in general, looks fucking awesome. The whole thing just looks a lot more like a game ready for release than it did 3 months ago, which is natural but great and encouraging. I was and continue to be really impressed with it.

I too was impressed with the polish. They did a great job of easing you into your skills for the beggining and setting the stage for the latter part of the game. I liked how you could go experiment with different second proffesions before making the choice, and just the overall number of bugs seems down. The only one that really affected me was for some reason Yak’s Bend dissapered from my map, so I had to beat the mission again, and it’s not fun.

Should I make a new topic for screens? Or just post them here?

First, I want to say again that I really do like the game a lot, have it preordered, will play every day, etc. I’m really just griping about one feature that doesn’t actually affect me a whole lot. It just seems like a bad idea to me and I’m trying to understand where ArenaNet is coming from with it. I don’t want to seem antagonistic about this or towards EFlannum or any other Guild Wars people who read Qt3.

That said, I read some more threads on the World at War feature, and I don’t get it at all. As far as I can tell, it essentially boils down to this. If I’m wrong, please correct me:

• There are three “worlds”, which are in effect servers. There’s one for America, one for Europe, and one for Korea. For the most part, people in different worlds don’t interact. When you install the game, you tell it which world you’re in, and that’s it. Or maybe it’s when you make a character, like in WoW. Whatever.

• In the Tombs, a big team-based PvP match, you can play against teams from other worlds, and there’s some kind of ladder or tournament structure.

• When a team reaches the top of the ladder, every player in that team’s world gets access to some high level content, and the other two worlds are blocked from it.

What is the point of this? It seems like it’s just arbitrarily rewarding 1/3 of the players and punishing the other 2/3. Most players will have nothing to do with whether or not a team from their world wins the international tournament. A very small subset of the player base (people who will play constantly and get ridiculously good at it…unemployed teenagers) is given responsibility for a piece of everyone’s gameplay experience. I’m all for rewards for tournaments, but shouldn’t it just be a reward for the team that wins, and not something that affects people who will never even play in this tournament?

Frankly, I’m not too excited about the World at War content, either, but the story as I understand it is this:

At any given time, one of the three Worlds is going to be holding the hall of heroes. During that time, you have the option of entering the extra content by performing a given action at one of a group of given places. That sounds pretty much like what you’re describing. One wrinkle, though, is that you can actually change the world you are in at any time by running the client, going to account options, and changing the world you’re assigned to. You’re not locked into the one you choose at account creation.

As for there being no real interaction between the worlds, that’s true too, but you do have the opportunity to meet people from the other worlds and interact by choosing the “International Districts” in the district selector for any given outpost.

Don’t know if I’m giving you any new information or not, but I’m pretty sure that’s the deal. It doesn’t do a whole lot for me either, but I don’t see it as a problem in any way. Maybe a “feature” that doesn’t hold much appeal for anyone, but not something I think is worth complaining about.

Your complaints are pretty valid however I think you are somewhat mistaken about the number of people who will participate in and eventually be a part of holding the hall of heroes. I expect jsut about every single person who plays the game and pvps with any regularity to participate in the Hall tournament at some point and a significant percentage of them will make it through to the end at some point in time.